Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TF2 Uber Update + Free to Play

Default TF2 Uber Update + Free to Play

Team Fortress 2, "the most fun you can have online" (~ PC Gamer) recently had an update released called the Uber update. At the same time, Team Fortress 2 became Free-to-Play. That is, you can play the game without paying any money. I think this is pretty awesome. The Uber update is pretty awesome too. Meet the Medic is awesome. I think we need to get an ADISC server set up now. :P

General TF2 thread?

This is cool news. TF2 still has a massive fanbase and it's always easy to find a game.
    It would be great if someone could afford an official adisc server, however that's probably a little bit expensive. :s

I've had TF2 since it came out pretty much. started playing in summer of 2008.

It's a great game. But as a notice if you get the game for free you can't trade with other players unless you buy items in the game, the cheapest being .49 cents. But you have to put in at least 5 dollars into steam wallet. But you can use that money towards other games on Steam.

TF2 now does micro transactions. But all the weapons and hats that affect gameplay are free. Only cosmetic items will cost real money.

Quote Originally Posted by Y00kz View Post
    This is cool news. TF2 still has a massive fanbase and it's always easy to find a game.
    It would be great if someone could afford an official adisc server, however that's probably a little bit expensive. :s
    I don't know about official, as I'm not sure Moo would feel comfortable endorsing a server like that (and I entirely understand why). However, I would certainly be more than happy to set up a server for the adisc community. I've briefly expressed an interest in doing so previously, but with it now being free to play it should be a lot easier to get wider interest among the membership base.

So many people on TF2 now, and all so very terrible.

Alecs

I saw it yesterday downloading and thought it was a demo, so I stopped it. Looking it up it is free pretty much, just a few things lessened for free users. I figure I might as well give the game a go. People who already had it are mad a little, either cause they payed for it or all the influx of noobs and trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Alecs View Post
    People who already had it are mad a little, either cause they payed for it or all the influx of noobs and trolls.
    The latter reason I can understand, but the former seems petty. Most people that bought the game bought it a LONG time ago and played it for months, if not YEARS before it became free.

Valve probably wasn't making any money on TF2, not even during sales, because so many people already had it the only ones left were those unwilling/unable to pay. This way people get hooked on the game and then end up buying some of the secondary income sources for the game (which will now be the primary source of income).

Quote Originally Posted by Zephy View Post
    The latter reason I can understand, but the former seems petty. Most people that bought the game bought it a LONG time ago and played it for months, if not YEARS before it became free.

Valve probably wasn't making any money on TF2, not even during sales, because so many people already had it the only ones left were those unwilling/unable to pay. This way people get hooked on the game and then end up buying some of the secondary income sources for the game (which will now be the primary source of income).
    Precisely.
    There's also a server mod that blocks f2p users, so that could be an interesting downside.
    We've placed it on our trading servers because f2p people can't trade. No point in then wasting our slots...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alecs

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    There's also a server mod that blocks f2p users, so that could be an interesting downside.
    We've placed it on our trading servers because f2p people can't trade. No point in then wasting our slots...
    Where did this come from? Link?

Quote Originally Posted by Alecs View Post
    Where did this come from? Link?

http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=160049

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk