Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training pants VS Regular diapers?

Default Training pants VS Regular diapers?

Alright, how do training pants help kids potty train if they do the EXACT same thing that diapers do? I mean, there are more designs on training pant, of course, but is there anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanine96 View Post
    Alright, how do training pants help kids potty train if they do the EXACT same thing that diapers do? I mean, there are more designs on training pant, of course, but is there anything else?

They have very little padding. The point is for the child to feel the wetness. Because well no one likes being wet. So it associates being wet with bad, thus encouraging children to make it in the potty....

... I thought everyone knew this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
    Then I'm not everyone, I guess. I know it now, though ^^

In the case of disposable training pants, no, not really. They do have wetness indicators to encourage children not to wet them, but that won't make the Pull-Up feel less comfortable than a wet diaper. I think Pull-Ups came out with the coolness liner specifically to make a wet Pull-Up more uncomfortable than a wet diaper. I have no idea if that has been successful or not.

If it is a cloth training pants, the training pants have several layers of cloth, so the pee doesn't leak through. However, the cloth is similar to the cloth found in underwear, so it'll feel as uncomfortable as wet underwear.

Then I'm not everyone, I guess. I know it now, though ^^
    Mhm. In fact babies in cloth diapers potty train faster because cloth diapers don't pull the wetness away from their skin like disposables that wick everything.

Miku

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
    apparently not >.>

Assuming training pants == pullups, I always thought the main difference is that a pullup has elastic in it, is worn like regular underwear and can be pulled down or up (hence the name), facilitating easy use of the toilet. The padding is mostly just there in case of accidents while learning.

Back in the bad old days (four decades ago) when I was small, there was a substantial difference.

Nappies existed to absorb large quantities of wee where the child had no bladder control: trainer pants were to stop small quantities of wee from leaking onto clothing, the carpet etc, and were based on the idea that the child had some degree of control and could ask for the potty if an accident occurred, rather than just let go.

Modern disposables retain the design difference between a nappy and pants, but the wicking/absorption of the filling appears to make the behaviour similar in both cases.

Artie

They can be taken off more easily (like real underwear) so that the child can go without having to go through the hassle of undoing the tapes and everything but they're still absorbent in case of accidents. They're basically a cross between underwear and diapers to help ease the transition.

It is all about the psychological aspect. A pull-up will absorb just like a diaper but the look is supposed to say underwear. They can pull them on and off themselves giving them some independence. Some do use a wetness or cool liner but it is all about marketing. The kid is supposed to say these are my big kid pants I need to keep them dry many have designs that fade when wet that is supposed to motivate them to stay dry though unless the child is running around pant less they cannot see the designs. Many parents argue the disposable trainers are useless because they are diapers others and the marketing departments of the diaper companies say their look and feel helps kids.