Thread: The Times They Are A-Changin'

Kari

Default The Times They Are A-Changin'

Who else for a middle aged guy to quote other than the great Bob D.
    I have ether thought this in my head.
    Or I've seen it in real life.
    If real, I am relieved for today's youth.
    Back in the late 60's / early 70's
    It was very rare to see a kid in diapers past there 3rd birthday.
    If you're in your 40's please correct me if I'm wrong.
    NO KID WEARS DIAPERS PAST THREE.
    I heard it over and over again...
    I remember numerous times I'd at least make a big wet spot in my pants.
    This went on for years and ignored by my parents.
    And bed wetting was very consistent.
    My Mom thought it was better to let me pee all over the bed and sheets.
    Than give me protection. And I slept on the same sheets the next night.
    Now I see older kids like 5+ wearing Pull Ups.
    I am a little envious that I had to be teased for my wet spots.
    Rather than being "one of those kids" that wore absorbent underpants.
    So is it me, or are parents more open since they now do have alternatives.
    And why have our previous generations been so "weird" about "flow control"?

times certainly are changing. I remember when stuff like this was confined to deekers.

Diapers and sexual fetishes, two sure fire ways to kill good songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    times certainly are changing. I remember when stuff like this was confined to deekers.

Diapers and sexual fetishes, two sure fire ways to kill good songs.

Kari

So does that make me a pervert b/c I want to talk about MY childhood?

As a member of a previous generation I can remember the extreme parental pressure not to have any kind if toilet accident - partly because being "respectable" and "nice peole" seemed to be very important but also because there were few washing machines. Spin and tumble dryers hadn't come into common usage and people "usually" changed their underwear once a week - often on Saturday evening to be clean for Sunday after a weekly bath which might well be in a tub in the kitchen as bathrooms were not universal. So wet pants or messy pants - wet sheets and blankets etc. meant a huge amount of work for mum. There was always a rush to get kids out of nappies because they too meant work and expense.

My guess is had good quality disposables been available way back then parents would have been more relaxed about toilet training - but they weren't and even plastic baby pants probably didn't really get onto the market until the late 1940's.

The other really big change is that now thinner-but effective diapers - payjama pants etc. mean peoples privacy is maintained much more easily - in 1950 there was no way a 11 year old could hide the fact they were wearing a thick cloth nappy or equally thick trainer pants that probably had to be changed by a school nurse.

IC adults didn't fare too well either with lack of bowel/bladder control being viewed as a reason to keep people in institutional care - even if otherwise they were fine. - again huge cloth diapers and rubber/pants made being accepted as a normal human being almost impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    So does that make me a pervert b/c I want to talk about MY childhood?
    Nope, but in my honest thoughts are, trying to add fetish references to a song that isn't yours is 1. lame, 2. unoriginal. 3. rude to anyone who does like the song. (Again IMHO)

Quote Originally Posted by dayannight View Post
    As a member of a previous generation I can remember the extreme parental pressure not to have any kind if toilet accident - partly because being "respectable" and "nice peole" seemed to be very important but also because there were few washing machines. Spin and tumble dryers hadn't come into common usage and people "usually" changed their underwear once a week - often on Saturday evening to be clean for Sunday after a weekly bath which might well be in a tub in the kitchen as bathrooms were not universal. So wet pants or messy pants - wet sheets and blankets etc. meant a huge amount of work for mum. There was always a rush to get kids out of nappies because they too meant work and expense.

My guess is had good quality disposables been available way back then parents would have been more relaxed about toilet training - but they weren't and even plastic baby pants probably didn't really get onto the market until the late 1940's.

The other really big change is that now thinner-but effective diapers - payjama pants etc. mean peoples privacy is maintained much more easily - in 1950 there was no way a 11 year old could hide the fact they were wearing a thick cloth nappy or equally thick trainer pants that probably had to be changed by a school nurse.

IC adults didn't fare too well either with lack of bowel/bladder control being viewed as a reason to keep people in institutional care - even if otherwise they were fine. - again huge cloth diapers and rubber/pants made being accepted as a normal human being almost impossible.
    Exactly so. The products just weren't there for the most part. There wasn't the internet, so ordering scarce supplies was a lot more difficult.

that is pretty interesting,I did always think that kids were trained by 3 like said above
    but I've talked to some baby sitters and it seems like it's now 4 or 5

then again what do I know since I couldn't be trained
    what age should kids be trained at in your opinions?
    i'd say 3 or 4,or at minimum before pre-school