Thread: What would be my best bet to buy?

Default What would be my best bet to buy?

(I swear there HAS to be one or more threads like this somewhere on ADISC, or a reason why not, but I looked around and couldn't find any indication of either - might just be blind though).

I'm leaving for college in the fall and since I'll be away from my parents, who have a severe problem with me wearing, I figure I may get the chance to wear at some point, but having never gone out shopping for anything, I don't know what I should be looking for.

I know that there is a Sam's Club, Target, CVS and a few other pharmacies within walking distance of my school. I generally wear pants with a 28 waist which are really loose around the waist on me and I weigh 125lbs. Can anyone point me in any direction as to what diapers (and size) would fit me and would be fairly cheap, but halfway decent?

GoodNites would work, maybe even Pampers size 7 or Pull-Ups 4T-5T, since you have a small waist.

See if you can find a medical supply shop around you. Most of them carry Tranquility, which are WAY better than anything you would find at CVS.

RainPoncho

So far these "Depends Fitted Maximum Protection" are working out for me, but they're really the only ones I've tried, so keep that in mind reading my mini review.

They seem moderately comfortable, and for me they are thick enough (esp when wet). They have the plastic layer so they make noise, but when I was wearing pants it didn't seem too loud, although I suppose in a very quiet environment people might notice the sound. To my nose, they have a similar smell when wet to some baby diapers, which was a major plus for me. I have not messed them so I don't know how they perform in that area.

I've found they start to leak a little if I go past a single good wetting, or maybe 4-5 smaller ones. This might also have to do with me putting it on improperly tho. Subsequent times I had the lower leg tape much tighter and I didn't leak at all even with a couple wettings. I wouldn't risk that in bed tho.

One downside I've seen with them so far (and maybe I'm just missing something, because apparently some diapers have landing zones, I don't think these do though), but basically when I stick the tapes on, I only have a fraction of a second to remove them if it stuck and I changed my mind, otherwise it'll tear pieces of the plastic out. I've just taken my time to find a good spot, so overall it's not a big deal, but it would be nice to have the ability to remove and refasten everything once the diaper gets heavier.

According to the package, the S/M size fits 19" to 34" waists. I chose the large because I have a 36" waist.

I saw a review for the Walgreens "Certainty" store brand which I might try, esp if I see them on sale. I'm also considering requesting samples. Is it considered bad form to request samples when I'm not incontinent?
    Last edited by RainPoncho; 17-Jun-2011 at 21:07. Reason: landing zone paragraph was potentially misleading

Quote Originally Posted by RainPoncho View Post
    Is it considered bad form to request samples when I'm not incontinent?

If you like them are you going to buy them? I don't see this as a bad thing at all. All sorts of companies offer samples for one reason, to get people to try, like, and purchase their products. Don't feel bad, you are simply doing your part as a consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by RainPoncho View Post
    I saw a review for the Walgreens "Certainty" store brand which I might try, esp if I see them on sale. I'm also considering requesting samples. Is it considered bad form to request samples when I'm not incontinent?
    A sample is to test a product to see if it suits your needs before buying in larger quantities. So no, there's nothing wrong with it. All you're doing is seeing if it's worth paying more for. I only consider it "bad form" when someone orders a sample with no intention of ever buying the product, though I won't begrudge them for it.

RainPoncho

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
    If you like them are you going to buy them? I don't see this as a bad thing at all. All sorts of companies offer samples for one reason, to get people to try, like, and purchase their products. Don't feel bad, you are simply doing your part as a consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephy View Post
    A sample is to test a product to see if it suits your needs before buying in larger quantities. So no, there's nothing wrong with it. All you're doing is seeing if it's worth paying more for. I only consider it "bad form" when someone orders a sample with no intention of ever buying the product, though I won't begrudge them for it.
    I'd definitely buy if I liked the product and felt the advantages were worth the money. So, I think I'll order some samples. Thanks!

I'll have to look around a bit once I'm moved into school and situated to see what I can find. I hear GoodNites aren't necessarily all they're cracked up to be though that's probably where I'd start as they're pretty easy to hide. I'm assuming small would fit me for most adult things (L/XL for goodnites?).

And hey, since it was brought up, how does one request samples?

Quote Originally Posted by nsquared View Post
    I'll have to look around a bit once I'm moved into school and situated to see what I can find. I hear GoodNites aren't necessarily all they're cracked up to be though that's probably where I'd start as they're pretty easy to hide. I'm assuming small would fit me for most adult things (L/XL for goodnites?).

And hey, since it was brought up, how does one request samples?
    This sticky has links to wear you can request samples for a variety of diapers.