Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choosing to die documentary and assisted suicide

Default Choosing to die documentary and assisted suicide

I know this is mostly going to be a touchy subject for quite a few people and that it usually elicits quite strong emotions when discussing it.

However, watching the BBC documentary "Choosing to die" that was broadcast on Monday really made me think about what my stance is on Assisted Death.

When the BBC aired the programme they received 898 complaints from viewers over the content. (BBC flooded with complaints over Choosing to Die documentary - Telegraph) While the programme wasn't exactly impartial I do feel it successfully highlighted the requirement for a change in legislation.

We as humans have no control over how we are brought into this world and how we are raised. To me, personally I feel that if my quality of life had deteroriated to the point where I was a mere shadow of the person I used to be and life was a cocktail of drugs to keep me alive and in pain, then i'd choose an assisted suicide.

I had no choice as to when I came into existence, at least give me a choice as to when I.want to end it.

What are everyones thoughts on the subject?

I think assisted suicide is as old as the world. It's always been done like that, legislation or no legislation, doctor or no doctor. But bringing laws more in tune with the real situation is always a good thing of course. I don't really get why christians would be against anyway. Ending prolonged, needless suffering seems to me like the christian thing to do but Im no theologist.

I'm all for assisted suicide for those who are suffering from a painful and deadly illness where there is no cure. I have always found it strange that the law allows us to put down a pet, whether it be something small like a cat to something big like a horse if the pet is suffering from incurable illness but when a human is suffering, it's against the law.

Quote Originally Posted by LoFiCopter View Post
    I don't really get why christians would be against anyway. Ending prolonged, needless suffering seems to me like the christian thing to do but Im no theologist.
    As far as i'm aware and feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. I believe it's due to the belief that all life is sacred and it's apparantly sinful to take life from another. However i'm an athiest so I may not have my facts straight there.

I am in favour of assisted suicide in cases of terminal ilnesses where the patient explicitly requests to die. I am, however, very much against any form of euthanasia that is performed on a non-terminaly ill patient or without a patient's express and informed consent.

Sent from my iPhone

It's more of God gave us life and it should be God who decides when to take it away. At least that is how I was taught being Roman Catholic. I of course don't believe in it.

I believe in a secular government.
    I think it should be available for the sick disabled and elderly, but not for somebody that got fired from a nice job or something. There's always a way to come back from that. Help should be offered to these people.

MY LIFE - MY DECISION... there's no god, judge, law, country, codex, religion, priest or whom/whatever else that can decide for me when I want o end my life on my own terms if I am fuckin' allowed to do so or not.
    If I want to end my own life, for whatever reason I'll do so.
    When I'm sick to the point where I'm unable to support & take care of myself and start to become a vegetable I hope someone will be so kind to put me out of misery.

I am in favour of assisted suicide, as long as the patient's application is carefully reviewed by a committee to decide whether the patient's situation is worth of assisted suicide.

In a purely moral sense, I very much believe in the right of the individual to determine the course that their life will take - even if that course leads to death. If a person is suffering intolerably, I believe that they have every right to seek to end that suffering, and in the name of compassion, to expect that others will at the least, ultimately not stand in their way.

However, as a matter of practice, the situation is more complex. There are arguments against the legalization of assisted suicide that having nothing to do with religion. The lesson of history is that once you legalize something, and thus remove the stigma from it, it usually becomes vastly more common than you would have expected. Many of the original advocates of the legalization of abortion argued that their aim was to ensure that the procedure would become safe, legal, and rare. The first two might have been achieved, but the latter? Not so much. Similarly, one of the enduring arguments against the legalization of torture has been that there would inevitably be a gradual progression in the situations where it was deemed to be justified, far beyond what its advocates might originally have envisioned. Maybe you start with water boarding terrorists, but where do you end up?

Once the precedent is set, you have to consider what the implications of its gradual extension may be. There are few ethical issues surrounding those who are terminal, and suffering intolerably - but what of the disabled, and the elderly? Those who due to age or infirmity have become a burden on others? How do you ensure that they are not compelled, either from without or within, to seek an end that they do not really want, simply to spare others the burden of looking after them? As long as assisted suicide is illegal, and those who offer such assistance face potential prosecution, you can be nearly certain that they are motivated by love. Once it becomes legal, you open the door for much darker motives, and place the most vulnerable in society in peril.

Until we can formulate sufficient safeguards for the vulnerable, we have to weigh their right to life, against the right to self-determination of those who are suffering. If there is a greater potential for abuse than any good that emerge, then it is legitimate to question whether legalization is a good idea.

We see a similar situation with incest. Arguably, what consenting adults do to and with each other is no-one else's business, no matter how closely they are related. The genetic arguments against it only really stack up over multiple generations, and are irrelevant if there are no offspring. However, by far the most common form of incest is father-daughter, which is a situation where there is an inherent power imbalance. Disputes over consent are difficult enough to resolve justly at the best of times, so a law that point-blank forbids a father to have sex with his daughter is a valuable safeguard for many young women. As things stands, there are far more people protected by the laws against incest than are disadvantaged by it, which is one of the major reasons that they have never been repealed.

Defending the "Sanctity of Life" doesn't necessarily have to be a religious argument.