Thread: Where have plastic backed diapers gone?

Default Where have plastic backed diapers gone?

I have been searching for plastic-backed diapers and can not find any?

I don't know about in USA but here where I live, the only plastic back diapers purchasable from a local store is Depend Maximum Protection Briefs or Tranquility from local medical supply store. All other brands have to purchased from online retailers.

same here just the depends plastic backed from walmart and other stores maby the occasional store brand. otherwise you have to shop on line

the plastic backed diapers have gone with the economy

Idk I think its more expensive to produce them or something economical like that

They're also worse for the environment, and I believe it takes more oil to make.... That should broaden your horizon why they're gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    They're also worse for the environment, and I believe it takes more oil to make.... That should broaden your horizon why they're gone.
    They're all plastic covered, it's just plastic made to have a clothlike feel (which is an abomination in diapers). They also retain a plastic layer beneath, so essentially it's more material than the old plastic liner. Can't see how that's an environmental improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Can't see how that's an environmental improvement.
    Might be psychological to the consumer. If there looks like less oil/plastic in a product, then it's better. Also, I thought they reduced the thickness of the plastic and made most diapers more breathable due to heat retention and reduction in seamen.

I've actually noticed a lot of stores have stopped carrying the Depends Maximum Protection.

yeah, because they went to cloth like covers and lost the market.. I agree that cloth covered diposables are an abomination.. I cant tell when they're full and leak all over anything I sit on. at least I get some warning from the plastic backed when a drop or two comes out

I suspect they went to the paper/cloth like cover so that they would be more discreet. The products in pharmacies are made for incontinent people, and probably,mostly elderly incontinent patients. I also can remember a news item on NPR reporting of Proctor and Gamble and their new diaper material which was thinner. It was made so that a baby would be more comfortable in a thinner diaper, rather than waddling around in a thick padded diaper.

Since I wear cloth and plastic pants, it's not a problem that I deal with, but I can relate. If they stopped making plastic pants, it would be, for me, like I was a kid and not able to buy diapers. I would be very upset, and very depressed. I understand your pain.