Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making hacked together speech sound nautral?

Default Making hacked together speech sound nautral?

So lets say that, in Audacity, you have taken select words out of many spoken sentences, all spoken by the same person. Then you removed background noise and hacked them together. How would you smooth out the transitions to get it to sound like natural speech, assuming you already changed the pitches of individual syllables to be correct?

you'd probably need to use some advanced logarithms or some program that allows you to change the speed of the speech without changing the pitch, they often do this by increasing or decreasing the length of deadzones.

I'd reintroduce the background noise again and try to smooth over the ugliest transitions with some effects and a lot of manual tweaking. Why not leave it all cut up? If you can't get it to be convincing, have some fun with it

What I've done before (though I was working with phrases rather than single words; it may not work so well if you're trying to go word by word) was to use a crossfade effect on the beginning and end of each clip and overlap them a little. That eliminated the subtle pops going from one clip to the next. And as LoFiCopter said, having some extra noise in there will actually help cover up the edits.

Yeah, I thought of the noise in the background, but crossfade is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Zephy View Post
    This sounds nefarious...
    Naw just trying to make a literal music video...

Phones (technical term) frequently vary based on context. As an example, wifes became wives, /aifs/ becoming /aivz/. Two thing to note there, that's the same English "s", with two different pronunciations, and that that /f/ altered to /v/. Think on that a bit.

That doesn't sound shady or anything ;p

Audacity is fairly basic. I mean, it's good for what it is, but I think you're going to have a lot of trouble making anything convincing with it. Something like ardour might do though (also free and open source).

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    Audacity is fairly basic. I mean, it's good for what it is, but I think you're going to have a lot of trouble making anything convincing with it. Something like ardour might do though (also free and open source).
    Yeah, but more powerful tools have a harder learning curve, which may be more "trouble" than wrestling with Audacity. With my pathetic sound skills, I could probably accomplish more in Audacity just because it's straightforward to use.

As long as the background noise (or lack thereof) and the speed of talking are consistent, it should be easy to piece together. Just add or delete space where it sounds natural.

You might have more success doing something like this in Pro Tools, but I'm guessing you don't have that software on hand.