Thread: A question for people in the autism spectrum

Default A question for people in the autism spectrum

I'd like to preface this by stating that this is a serious question. I'm not trolling, I'm genuinely curious: Why do you guys like sonic the hedgehog so much? He has only 4 good games, maybe 5 if you count sonic spinball. But that was like 10 years ago. What's his appeal?

Again, I'm not trying to be mean or insensitive. I know this is a generalization, but I really want to know.

umm, I have Aspergers and I don't play Sonic the Hedgehog. ^^

That being said a lot of autistic people have one thing in particular they obsess or are highly interested with. For me it's firearms, for others it may be Sonic and yet others it may be entirely different.

I am not autistic, but as Special education major I have done lots of work with autistic children and young adults. None of the individuals that I know have mentioned any fascination with Sonic, however there are some things to consider. Many autistic children like to spin objects, in fact an early warning sign of a child having a disorder along the autism spectrum is that they will repeatedly spin their toys or other objects. Sonic the Hedgehog spins when he moves, there for that might have a level of appeal and familiarity for some autistic individuals. Another thing to consider is most autistic people have a "niche" or something that they are very good at, or like a lot. I knew one boy and every person he met he assigned them a car make and model, like Dodge Mini-Van, or Ford Fusion, or so on, another that I knew was a great artist and knew lots of information about famous artist. Perhaps the individual(s) that you know have a niche in the Sonic games, or the cartoon, or some other Sonic related topic. It is a very big generalization to include all autistic people in one category, there are many different individuals with different levels of abilities on the autism spectrum. Hope this has given you a little insight.

The better thing to ask about would be lego's and kinetics, and minecraft if they have a decent enough PC for it.

I liked the games, but I wouldn't say I, or everyone on the autism spectrum, was obsessed with it.

I think everyone on the spectrum has their own 'thing'.

I agree with Fire2Box...I think more people would be after things like Lego. To me they're fascinating. I love to build towers as big as I can with them just for the fun of snapping little bricks together.

So it's an experimenter's bias? I don't buy it. So far the spinning theory is the best, because it also explains trains.