Thread: Cloth diapers and baby powder

Default Cloth diapers and baby powder

I'm just starting to use cloth diapers and i know its bad for them to use creams but what about baby powder? Any other info on you cloth diapering techniques would also be appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

By all means, use powder. I actually have neve heard that creams are specifically bad, either. Oils, sure, as they'd limit absorption, but I can't see the harm in a bit of lotion or diaper rash cream.

dprdinky

Actually there are some good creams out there. Are you possibly talking about lotions, rather than creams?

I was reading somewhere that creams like desitin have oils in them that don't wash out of the cloth and reduce absorbancy. But if it works to use cream and not ruin my diaper then that would be awesome.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

I believe that the main concern with oils is their effects on plastic pants. Repeated exposure to oils supposedly stiffens plastic pants up and will eventually ruin them, though i'm not exactly sure where I read that, so it could be way off in terms of accuracy. Probably one of angelabauer's old posts.

I always put a healthy splodge of sudacrem on whenever I'm wearing. I wore cloth for just over a year (not 24/7 mind, but fairly regularly) and never noticed any detrimental effects. When I washed them, I used either bio powder on a 30-40degree wash (I assumed the enzymes in the bio powder ate away any oils in there) or I used non-bio and a 60degree wash (no point using bio at those temps as it denatures the enzymes, but I figured the high temp was enough to rinse away the oils/kill the germs). Oh and I always put them on the longest cycle my machine has. They always came out lovely and soft and smelling fresh as a daisy!

(word to the wise though, don't put your plastic pants in the tumble dryer on high temp... they melt! oopsie!)

Quote Originally Posted by Maytricks View Post
    I believe that the main concern with oils is their effects on plastic pants. Repeated exposure to oils supposedly stiffens plastic pants up and will eventually ruin them, though i'm not exactly sure where I read that, so it could be way off in terms of accuracy. Probably one of angelabauer's old posts.
    Yep, 'tis true. Oils/lotions and plastic pants don't get on well. That said, a normal application of baby lotion or Desitin should never really get to the plastic pants.

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    Yep, 'tis true. Oils/lotions and plastic pants don't get on well. That said, a normal application of baby lotion or Desitin should never really get to the plastic pants.
    and....it's best to regard plastic-pants as semi-disposable as they will age for other reasons and be subject to the normal wear and tear of clothing (and plastic isn't suitable for that). buy lots, buy regularly

Quote Originally Posted by bambino834 View Post
    I'm just starting to use cloth diapers and i know its bad for them to use creams but what about baby powder? Any other info on you cloth diapering techniques would also be appreciated
    Desitin and powder are fine. I use them every night with a cloth diaper/plastic pant. Yes, the zinc oxide ointments will speed the deterioration of your plastic pants to some degree, but then so does everything else. I think if you wear them on your head as a shower cap, you will also speed their demise. You'll just need to replace them every 5 to 10 months depending on how well you take care of them and how often you use them.

As for cloth diapering techniques, a while back I started double pinning my pre-folded cloth diapers on both sides. I pin my two top ones on either side first and then pin the two bottom ones around my legs, snug but not too tight. I think this gives a better fit. Also, it ensures that a flood in the middle of the night will be caught by the cloth first (i.e. there are no gaps). I sometimes tuck the legs and waist of my plastic pants into the diaper, however, that has usually left painful red marks on my skin because it gets too tight.