Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you IPv6 ready?

Alecs

Default Are you IPv6 ready?

Hey guys, have you heard about IPv6 day? It was yesterday I think. Anyways in case you didn't know, your IP is like your address for getting online. The Earth currently uses IPv4, but we're out of addresses for everyone, so there's IPv6, but not everyone has that. Do you have it? Are you ready for... IPocalypse?!

Also, a note to ADISC staff, are you guys ready? Many websites are getting IPv6 IP's for their sites. It's the next generation of Internet technology!

I'm not sure if I am or not, but I should really look into that. I have to ask though, did you make this thread just so you could use IPocalypse? The truth now! :P

Alecs

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBeau View Post
    I'm not sure if I am or not, but I should really look into that. I have to ask though, did you make this thread just so you could use IPocalypse? The truth now! :P
    No, I made this thread to tell people about a new thing(well not really new, but new to them). I'm pretty sure most people don't, because most ISPs don't. I currently use a tunnel through my IPv4 address to get my IPv6 address.

I'm pretty sure most people don't, because most ISPs don't.
    This is pretty much the (sad) issue with this. I played around a bit locally using a tunnel (hurricane electric) but until I know how my ISP is going to assign an IP to me, doing so was little more than an experience in learning.

I suspect a long period of carrier-grade NAT and other hacks before ipv6 really takes off. Would be nice to think we'd be doing a slow, controlled roll-out, but given ISPs have dragged their heals on this for nearly a decade, I don't see it happening cleanly.

As a side note, I really don't like the way ipv6 works. I mean I realize we have to switch to _something_, and at this point ipv6 is the only option, but I really think ipv6 is gonna cause lots of problems excluding the roll-over issues.

I have actively shut down ipv6 on my computer.
    Mainly because i do not want any "bleedthrough" when using my non logging, anonymity proxy.

I like to partake of the internets many possibilites viewing tv-shows & movies without comercials
    (and NOT get an angry letter from my ISP)

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any UK ISPs which actually support IPv6. I may have to look in to various methods of getting around this. From my brief, inexperienced glance at ADISCs DNS records, the site appears to be IPv6 ready to some extent at least, though I can't attest to how functional it is

Alecs

Quote Originally Posted by LoFiCopter View Post
    is this gonna be like the millenium bug?
    No, this is a real issue. Soon there won't be enough IP's for every computer. This new system would provide trillions, which would last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Alecs View Post
    No, this is a real issue. Soon there won't be enough IP's for every computer. This new system would provide trillions, which would last longer.
    In all fairness, the millenium bug was actually a real issue. Nothing major happened because of a _massive_ effort to correct or at least mitigate the issue on impacted systems. Anyone working in the software industry at the time knows this quite well. The media actually did us a huge favor for once by scaring the shit out of everyone to the point that the suits were actually willing to pony up the cash and proactively fix the problem rather than putting out the fires afterwards! Not saying we'd have lasers shooting out of street lights (love that episode) but there were definitely systems which _would_ have had issues.

I'd love to say this will be the same, but as we are seeing, it won't be. ISPs have known about this problem for quite a long time, but because there is no financial reason to do it (they can't charge you more money for IPv6, but it costs a fortune to roll it out) they are going to wait until actual problems start appearing. I suspect there will be a period between actual IPv4 exhaustion (technically we are out of IPv4 addresses, but this won't effect us peons down here for a while) and IPv6 being common place enough for a major service to not need an IPv4. People are probably as we speak hording IPv4 addresses to auction off at insane prices when the time comes.

I thankfully can count on comcast for IPv6 readiness, as well as the fact I only run windows 7 on all of my computers