Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SO my job is a bit boring so what could I do and not get fired?

Default SO my job is a bit boring so what could I do and not get fired?

I"m in an office for 8 hours and I can go a bit crazy from time to time. I usually walk out and what not. This is the first time I'm in the office and what not. I mean office job. It's pretty boring and well I feel like My job is overall good but sucks in several ways. But I'm not complaning about it. I just want to do something while I wait for work that won't get me fired or in trouble... I've been thinking of just learning a bunch of coding stuff. And getting more specialized in a couple of topics for programming. But well any other suggestions I can't seem to work all that time at once. So yeah any other tips?

sudoku

I work in an office as an intern and I experience the same moments that you described. I just go find someone and make them find something for me to do. It's easier if you pace yourself a bit doing some work instead of bolting through it and getting bored if you don't have something lined up after it.

If you are continuously finding yourself with nothing to work on, I would suggest asking your boss what you should do with that time. If my memory serves me right, this is your first internship. Therefore, your boss shouldn't be surprised that you are unsure of what to do.

Barring that, learning a new programming topic is a good idea. You will gain experience that may come in handy down the road, and it provides additional skills to list on your resume. I'm not sure what you know already, but I'm sure there are enough programming topics that you can easily find one to study or brush up on.

I would caution against goofing off on the internet or on your phone without trying to find something productive to do first. If your boss finds out, it will negatively impact his impression of you and may cost you your job.

Chat up the good looking female that you'll know it helps you to get though the day just that little bit quicker.

help somebody else who has a work overload.

clean the office/toilets/reception/windows (inside and out).

mend something.

there's lots to do, why are not doing them?

Quote Originally Posted by HogansHeroes View Post
    If you are continuously finding yourself with nothing to work on, I would suggest asking your boss what you should do with that time. If my memory serves me right, this is your first internship. Therefore, your boss shouldn't be surprised that you are unsure of what to do.

Barring that, learning a new programming topic is a good idea. You will gain experience that may come in handy down the road, and it provides additional skills to list on your resume. I'm not sure what you know already, but I'm sure there are enough programming topics that you can easily find one to study or brush up on.

I would caution against goofing off on the internet or on your phone without trying to find something productive to do first. If your boss finds out, it will negatively impact his impression of you and may cost you your job.
    Well the thing is I want to work but I'm only hired to make a web page. They told me I won't be truly allowed to do anything else until that's done. Once that's done I have access to some other databases and can get some training and what not. Over all they are incredibly happy with what I"ve done so yay for me?

I used to tinker with my extra parts, and pieces. I inadvertently upgraded an entire product line one day while I was bored at my desk. I'm not sure what you have at your disposal, but if you have freedom to tinker with stuff; do it. If not; there's always thinkgeek.com.

Without being too asinine - if you aren't getting anything else until the web page is done, why not just work on getting the web page done?

Or is it case you are wanting to do something while you are waiting for the management to check your latest version of the page etc?

I usually go on YouTube or crailgslist. Or check adisc that is. But I'm pretty secure in my office job and i always get my work done eleven if my boss sees me on YouTube he doesn't really care.
    I would caution you tho its probably something you should be careful with doing unless you could say you are trying to get other ideas for the website you are designing.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore View Post
    Without being too asinine - if you aren't getting anything else until the web page is done, why not just work on getting the web page done?

Or is it case you are wanting to do something while you are waiting for the management to check your latest version of the page etc?
    I am doing my work I just can't continue until they review the page and what not. I'm ahead of schedule. So its not like I'm sacking off.

---------- Post added at 08:48 ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bambino834 View Post
    I usually go on YouTube or crailgslist. Or check adisc that is. But I'm pretty secure in my office job and i always get my work done eleven if my boss sees me on YouTube he doesn't really care.
    I would caution you tho its probably something you should be careful with doing unless you could say you are trying to get other ideas for the website you are designing.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    That will get me fired. It's 100% against the rules to do that. It's a government job.