Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netflix pulls Snuff flim titles from instant que

Default Netflix pulls Snuff flim titles from instant que

Recent Netflix had what would be called "Snuff Films" for instant access online. I didn't watch them expect for one scene where a guy shoots himself through his mouth in a press conference. Only because I was interested as to why, and what it actually looks like.

Anyways here's the article on the issue from HackingNetflix.

Hacking NetFlix : Should Netflix Rent the Death Scenes Movies that Depict Real Deaths? Update: Removed

This is clearly a hot button issue and one that already has shit being throw into the fan. But I personally don't see any problem with these as long as they are done tastefully which in this case I view as. Completely unedited, no commentary as "that guy deserved to get shot, what a fag, wow im sure glad i'm not him". I don't think I would be able to stand watching a "movie" like this. But I am really interested in suicide and death itself. Likely since so much is still unknown about both. I also have a comment on that page I linked to.

Also as a side note. Netflix helped out with " This Film Is Not yet Rated" which dealt fully with censorship withe MPAA. It's not nearly the same since that dealt with fictional movies mostly, but it's still odd to ponder on. On one had they don't like censorship but on the other hand they feel okay to do it themselves.

Butterfly Mage

I don't think Netflix should be selling/streaming/renting snuff films. Besides, isn't it illegal to kill people in the name of "realism"?

Oh my,

I don't know about you - or anyone else - but somehow I managed to see enough shit in reality (people dying, people suffering, accidents,...) and I don't think it's cool, good or valuable to put stuff like that on a "tape" (i know antiquated these days), and publish or put it up online anywhere...
    I mean WHY do you need to see people die, suffer, be mutiliated, raped,...????
    Where's the value in it? I mean it's neither educational nor entertaining - it's simply tragic.

i think it should be allowed. there is great power in the truth, however horrible that truth maybe i think we all have the right to see it. and it should be as easy to access as any other piece of info. Should definitely have a mechanism to keep kids from seeing it, as well as amble warning about the contents of the video

Quote Originally Posted by goldfishy View Post
    i think it should be allowed. there is great power in the truth, however horrible that truth maybe i think we all have the right to see it. and it should be as easy to access as any other piece of info. Should definitely have a mechanism to keep kids from seeing it, as well as amble warning about the contents of the video
    I agree.

I think it would be healthy for many people to see what death looks like. It's actually quite educational and tragic.

The value in it is the same as any additional information. When you see it from more aspects, you have more knowledge from which to base your decisions on. Like wars, murder, etc. If we're going to do it (through legal means), we should have the fortitude to look at it every now and then. At least once.

As sad as it is, death is a very real part of life. Even violent death happens literally every day. In an unbiased light, seeing these horrors can help create empathy to people that don't think that this stuff happens. It's sometimes far to easy for those of us in out sheltered, suburban, North American world to become detached from the violence of the world. Maybe people should see this type of stuff before they claim that genocide and war in other countries are "not our problem"

I only question that most people who watch stuff like that on TV/Computer don't really do this to see something valuable but rather for the simple gore/shock-factor and I don't think that such a thing should be supported in any way.
    it's not a video game, it's not actors, it's a sad reality.

Harumaru

It's easy for people to say mind your own business, but I'm not complaining about the movie Saw and I'm not complaining about some kind of racy adult scene in a movie, because both of these types of films are created by consenting adults who haven't been harmed while making entertainment. What I'm objecting to is the murder of other people, specifically so that it could be filmed and exploited for a profit. If it's not OK for someone to sell a video of a sexual assault on a child, why is it OK to sell a video showing a child being tortured and murdered?
    This comment on the article pretty much sums up my feelings on this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Harumaru View Post
    I will quote this since that comment also matches my opinion (that, and I'm lazy). By the logic used by people defending snuff vids, wouldn't Netflix be justified in renting out videos of rape, including videos from the rape of children? If not, why?

Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Harumaru View Post
    Quoting this, since I don't know how to quote the quote.

I would like to point out first that I don't watch these types of movies, as they tend to make me uncomfortable. I would like to clear up one thing for the sake of this argument. When I (and I'm sure others) think of a snuff film, we thing of someone being killed on camera for entertainment. I don't think that anyone is saything that that is ok, and that is not what this Death Scenes movie was. I looked it up before commenting (didn't watch the film, just looked up reviews and such) to get an idea what it was exactally. It is a compilation of public domain photos of death and dismemberment, including shots from WWI, WWII, gang violence from the 30s, 40, and 50s, etc. No one in this film was killed for entertainment.

From what I understand the film is not good. It is poorly done and badly narrated by an idiot, but thats beside the point. At it's core, films like this are history. They are horrible, and in some cases lacking tact, but the footage is history pure and simple.

I would like to point out right now that I'm not saything that people should watch this film. I just want to point out that this and movies like this are not snuff films like people would think that they are.