Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Is Polygamy Illegal?

Default Why Is Polygamy Illegal?

My fiancee and I were watching "Sister Wives" on the TLC channel and we couldn't get past this question. Why is it illegal? Should this be a progression of marriage rights (first interracial, then gay marriage)?
    A good website I read when researching this: Council for Secular Humanism

Read "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krackaur then come back and ask

There's a few simple reasons reason:
    (1) Fairness. If people only choose the most attractive and/or richest partner, the less attractive or poorer people won't find any partners to have kids. This would reduce the gene pool.
    (2) Variety. A child is always the result of the two parens' genes. If you have 10 males and 10 females, there's 100 different combinations. If you only have one male an 10 females, there's only 10 combinations.
    (3) Stress reduction and mental health. Imagine having to be (financially) for that many partners and kids. That sounds like a nightmare. It's best to share the responsibility among more people.

In other words. Nature produces 51% men and 49% women. That'd suggest a 1:1 ration to ensure a great variety of gene combinations for future fit and survival.

Well, for starters the U.S. has been a predominantly Christian nation and Christian ideology is about monogamy. Another big contributor is the Latter Day Saints (Mormons). They practiced polygamy in the beginning and were ostracized by the communities they were in, almost always being driven out. Many laws in the U.S. can be traced back to a minority group being associated with what ever the law was targeting.

There are two main reasons. The social taboo, of course, but also because of how it plays out.

When you have 6/7/8 wives, they'll all try and be "the" wife. The one you call your wife, and are most affectionate to.

It sounds good on paper to have tons of lovers, but it just doesn't work out.

All social taboo. Apologetics for the social taboo aside. Same thing makes for many other laws. The religious provide the motive for the laws the non-believers don't play along.

Butterfly Mage

It's basically another fine example of the religious right making decisions for people who might not share their beliefs.

its also worth noting that occasionally men find their wives to be abit of a pain on the nagging side. imagine if you had 2 or three wives @_@ youd have two or three women nagging "what happened to ouur holiday" why dont you help out more etc etc, imagine those typical marital tensiones in stereo with two wives voicing the same concenrns.

honestly after watching Sister Wives, i don't find the problem. It is illegal for him to take 4 wives and have kids, but not illegal for him to be married to one and have an affair with the other 3 and make babies. Kody supports all his kids, he works, they work too. I guess he should just sleep with them, knock them up and have them get on welfare and everybody would be happy

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    It's basically another fine example of the religious right making decisions for people who might not share their beliefs.
    I can put my name under this!

All so called "reasons" as to why there should be no polygamy I can't really understand - I mean what is so wrong with it??
    I truly don't think that any of that "ratio" and "fairness" Crap is any bit realistic.
    People are not attracted to each-other by a 51:49 ratio or some bull like this - it's too many factors - and some don't want to be monogamous - some wouldn't want polygamy and little bit at all...
    But why a gvt. has to have laws forbidding it I simply can't get....

The only thing I see too is that religious believes are being pushed unto others... and that I don't like.

I for one wouldn't want to live in a polygamous relationship (tried it, didn't like it)... but I've known people who are all for polygamy and I don't see a problem.