Thread: Anyone ever taken a pacifier apart?

Default Anyone ever taken a pacifier apart?

I couldn't resist some new dummies the other day - knights and dragons, who could! - but they're kids' ones and they just don't compare to my NUK 5. I know inner-child.co.uk sometimes stock NUK 5 teats on their own, and I'm getting all these evil ideas.

Has anyone ever taken a normal kids' pacifier apart to replace the teat? Any tips on how? Or how not to?!

Oooh. I've been considering this same idea!

*watches thread with interest*

Dan x

LOL. I'm pretty sure I have the same pacis as you: MAM button-style ones, blue shield with a dragon and clear shield with a knight. I don't like the size of anything smaller than a Nuk 5, but I liked the prints so much... and then my thoughts turned to the new un-modified NUK 5 that I have stashed away...

I've taken apart 'no-name' button-style pacifiers before (the ones with Big Bird, Elmo, or Cookie Monster from K*Mart; Pacifiers R Us has the modified versions). These were easy, just a thin flathead screwdriver to pry the button off. It's only glued on--with very little glue, I might add. I tried to take apart an older MAM button pacifier using the same method but stopped because I was damaging/cracking the plastic. As far as I can tell, the basic construction is the same as the 'no-name' pacifier, but the MAM pacifiers must use better glue or something. I haven't tried cracking into the dragon/knight pacis yet. They do use a different plastic from the older MAM pacifier (crystal clear hard plastic from before the BPA scare) I first tried. The new plastic seems more flexible, so maybe these will be easier to open without breaking. Hopefully.

As for taking apart NUK pacifiers, I've tried to disassemble Nuk 2, 3, and 5 pacifiers without breaking any parts, and have concluded that I pretty much have to break or seriously damage at least one part in order to get them apart. Happily, I'm really only interested in the teat from the Nuk 5, and those can be extracted undamaged. My method is to rip off the handle, insert a screwdriver into the little ring that the handle attaches to and pull until the little ring splits. The ring connects two parts that are inside the stem of the teat. I use pliers (and a lot of prying) to remove one of those parts. The second one is easy to remove and after that's out, the teat is easy to pull out of the shield.

But if anyone has a method that has a little less *ripsmashdestroy* and a bit more finesse, please do share.

I've never taken a paci apart, but while reading your posts I got to wondering if heating it would help. It might loosen up the glue a bit, plus make the plastic a little more pliable. BTW... when I say heat, I mean like in boiling water. After all, they are safe to boil because that's what you're supposed to do to one to disinfect it for use with a real infant. I've never tried it in a microwave, but I'm assuming that'd probably melt it. Something to try anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tygon View Post
    LOL. I'm pretty sure I have the same pacis as you: MAM button-style ones, blue shield with a dragon and clear shield with a knight. I don't like the size of anything smaller than a Nuk 5, but I liked the prints so much... and then my thoughts turned to the new un-modified NUK 5 that I have stashed away...

I've taken apart 'no-name' button-style pacifiers before (the ones with Big Bird, Elmo, or Cookie Monster from K*Mart; Pacifiers R Us has the modified versions). These were easy, just a thin flathead screwdriver to pry the button off. It's only glued on--with very little glue, I might add. I tried to take apart an older MAM button pacifier using the same method but stopped because I was damaging/cracking the plastic. As far as I can tell, the basic construction is the same as the 'no-name' pacifier, but the MAM pacifiers must use better glue or something. I haven't tried cracking into the dragon/knight pacis yet. They do use a different plastic from the older MAM pacifier (crystal clear hard plastic from before the BPA scare) I first tried. The new plastic seems more flexible, so maybe these will be easier to open without breaking. Hopefully.

As for taking apart NUK pacifiers, I've tried to disassemble Nuk 2, 3, and 5 pacifiers without breaking any parts, and have concluded that I pretty much have to break or seriously damage at least one part in order to get them apart. Happily, I'm really only interested in the teat from the Nuk 5, and those can be extracted undamaged. My method is to rip off the handle, insert a screwdriver into the little ring that the handle attaches to and pull until the little ring splits. The ring connects two parts that are inside the stem of the teat. I use pliers (and a lot of prying) to remove one of those parts. The second one is easy to remove and after that's out, the teat is easy to pull out of the shield.

But if anyone has a method that has a little less *ripsmashdestroy* and a bit more finesse, please do share.

Yes!! The exact ones And I have two Avent ones with stars on and glow-in-the-dark handles, too. Too cute.

You may not need to actually get NUK5 teats from pacifiers, though, I know inner-child.co.uk sometimes sells them just on their own - they don't have any at the moment but I've seen them there before. I think I've seen them go past on Ebay as well.

I'll have to try out taking a normal paci apart - I figure I can test it on the less nice of the two Avent ones since I won't mind if I mess it up a bit...

I've modified a paci before. It was a no-name brand from a dollar store. I really liked the guard on it and it was cuter than the other pacis I have. Only problem was the fact that it was designed for newborns. Here's how I modified it:

1st step: I cut off the nipple (In all reality, there's no way I would ever reuse a newborn sized nipple.)

2nd step: Because the nipple was gone, I could get at the inside part of the button while it was still attached to the rest of the pacifier. So, I went downstairs to my work bench and set the pacifier up in a cushioned clamp setup that I use for delicate work. Then I got a flathead screwdriver, and proceeded to poke it down through where the nipple used to be. With the screwdriver in place I got a hammer and gave it a light tap (not hard enough to go through the button but still a firm smack), the cased the button to pop off.

step 3: Remove any excess rubber from the original nipple and use a file or some other tool in case the hole is not large enough for your nipple of choice.

step 4: put your nipple through and then position it so it is perfectly set in place.

step 5: reglue the button to the guard. If you really want it to stick and never come apart, I suggest some name brand epoxy from walmart or wherever. If you are planning on taking it apart again, there are some other types of glue that will allow you to do this in the future.

step 6: let the glue set for a few hours to a day.

step 7: enjoy your newly modified pacifier!

If you would like, I could probably add a bit of depth to my post. There are a few things I neglected to add. As always YMMV depending on what type of pacifier you use, the quality and the construction. Also, thanks for the tip on those Nuk5 nipples!

-Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbeast View Post
    2nd step: Because the nipple was gone, I could get at the inside part of the button while it was still attached to the rest of the pacifier. So, I went downstairs to my work bench and set the pacifier up in a cushioned clamp setup that I use for delicate work. Then I got a flathead screwdriver, and proceeded to poke it down through where the nipple used to be. With the screwdriver in place I got a hammer and gave it a light tap (not hard enough to go through the button but still a firm smack), the cased the button to pop off.
    Ohhh, now that's clever - some more info about how you set up the cushioned clamp would be nice? I can get access to a workbench, is there any way I could rig something suitable up out of an ordinary clamp?

ahh I want knights and dragons!!

Well the other day I took apart one of my MAM air pacifiers to see if I could make it a little longer. Here is what it looked like. It didn't have any glue; instead it used clip things that fitted together when the button was pushed on the shield. I used pliers to squeeze the button and pull it off, it was pretty damaged...

You can imagine what the button looked like, just the opposite.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mam.jpg 
Views:	1081 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	4653

Quote Originally Posted by tinyfish View Post
    Ohhh, now that's clever - some more info about how you set up the cushioned clamp would be nice? I can get access to a workbench, is there any way I could rig something suitable up out of an ordinary clamp?
    If you are going to use an ordinary clamp ( I assume you mean a metal C-clamp or a plastic clamp) I would recommend a "dish cloth" or something similar. Just use an old rag and position it around the paci so that the teeth on the clamp won't damage it. Make sure it has a firm hold on the clamp and the cloth will ensure little to no damage.
    The way I set mine up is kinda hard to explain but I will try my best.

I setup the clamp around the paci (similar in fashion to the way described above) then I proceeded to use a second clamp to attach the prvious clamp to my workbench (I use clamps that require about 300 pounds of torque to clamp to full pressure, these are the same ones I use to make guitars). Once the clamps are set in place I can then use the hammer. If you find the clamp is moving while you are trying to do this, it probably means you should rethink your setup. Also, if you have a bench-mounted vice, this can prove to be a very very effective method.

If you want any more info, you can message me and I will get back to you. I will also post here again if you want some more tips. Cheers!

-Ron

Hmm, well I'd have to get hold of some NUK5 teats first so this is another one for the Future Projects pile - but thanks, I'll look this thread up again when I get a round tuit