Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Insurance/etc. for incontinence

Default Insurance/etc. for incontinence

I was just wondering what ways there was to minimize the cost of diapers, whether through insurance or medical discounts. I'm actually going to the doctor about it, and it doesn't look good. This goes back several months if some of you remember, but it isn't leaving and I think I'm somewhat permanently incontinent now.......But if I can, I want to see how I can compensate. Sure I don't mind wearing diapers...But they are expensive...I've been using cloth, but the initial purchases seem to cost a lot for those, so either way... Any ideas on what ways I can bring the cost down, and how (referring to like insurance-wise, etc.)?

Quote Originally Posted by BabyKat View Post
    I was just wondering what ways there was to minimize the cost of diapers, whether through insurance or medical discounts. I'm actually going to the doctor about it, and it doesn't look good. This goes back several months if some of you remember, but it isn't leaving and I think I'm somewhat permanently incontinent now.......But if I can, I want to see how I can compensate. Sure I don't mind wearing diapers...But they are expensive...I've been using cloth, but the initial purchases seem to cost a lot for those, so either way... Any ideas on what ways I can bring the cost down, and how (referring to like insurance-wise, etc.)?
    I think you can get like a Medicare type thing

Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    I think you can get like a Medicare type thing
    I have medical benefits, but like I don't know if it's covered...And how do you ask that indirectly.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyKat View Post
    I have medical benefits, but like I don't know if it's covered...And how do you ask that indirectly.

Ask if incontinence products are covered?

I was wondering about this also.
    but most insurences except maybe medicare don't cover incontinent supplies
    and I think you have a doctors perscription for them.

Darkfinn

If you are declared medically incontinent by your physician then he can write you a perscription for incontinence supplies... this would then be covered under your insurance.

Is it the same here in Canada? I was looking into things and the only thing I saw that related to it was a tax write-off form and another one for disability benefits.

I found something where they give grants from my province to people who have children 3-18 years old and are medically incontinent, but I don't know if I could apply for myself or it has to be for "dependents", or because I'm 18 right now and on the border. Even to get a partial year of the benefits would help because they give like $900/year.

InconJenOnWheels

My parents get insurance through the hospital, and I am covered under their insurance until I turn 21, even though I don't live with them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by InconJenOnWheels View Post
    My parents get insurance through the hospital, and I am covered under their insurance until I turn 21, even though I don't live with them anymore.
    I have my own benefits package...although it's a bit meager, it's all I have, but it is something at least.

Darkfinn

Kat... I believe your first step should be getting a medical incontinence diagnosis from your doctor... then go from there.