Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telling my family I wear diapers?

Default Telling my family I wear diapers?

I guess that there are lots of threads about telling your parents / partners that you need to wear diapers.

I am in a different situation here.

I have been wearing 24/7 for the last year.

I wear pads in the daytime and diapers at night time. I have a really loving wife who is very supportive and comes to doctors appointments etc.

Telling her about my increasing incontinence problem a year a go was really hard and putting diapers on in front of her took some getting used to. A year later it doesn't seem that bad and she doesn't comment when washing my waterproof pants or stretch pants for my pads.

So ...

I have two kids (one 7 and one 3) and I am doing absolutely everything I can to keep them away from my diaper wearing.

They both know that Daddy is poorly as they have to stay at home with a baby sitter when I go to the hospital.

After discussing my health issues with my wife we both agreed that they should not find out about my need to wear diapers.

I would love to know what you think, are we doing the right thing or should I be more open with them?

Supersam1223

I don't think that they need to know until they are older and more mature so that they can better understand it and not say the wrong things to the wrong people. Having said that if you think that your kids are mature enough...

Also I do not believe that they necessarily need ever know, in your position I would only tell your children if they confront you about it, for example if they find one of your diapers. There is not really any need for them to know... ever.

So yes, I think that you are doing the right thing.

If you can continue to hide it easily, I would say you don't need to tell them at this age. I expect your youngest wouldn't understand at all (maybe questioning a need for potty training), and your eldest is still too young to really comprehend it.

The thing is, being IC isn't causing your role as a father to change, so they don't really need to know either. I guess when they are older, if you feel they need to know more about your condition then I guess tell them - especially if it has a genetic underlying medical history/complications they should know of. Otherwise, maybe no need to tell them until even older?

Thank you both for such kind and helpful words. I really appreciate it.

They might be a bit young right now, but if you want to tell them, I would do so before they got too old. I say this for two reasons. First, you don't want to make it look like you're hiding something. They will likely notice something is up at some point (24/7 will be hard to hide forever), and when they do, I would say something. Secondly, kids are very adaptable at a young age. Things that would rock a teen to thier core will sometimes cause no issue to a child. Just some food for thought.

Pretty much what everyone else is saying

Dont tell them now, wait untill there older teens, id say 15-16.

Little Kids are too fragile about things like that

My parents started to tell me things like that when i was about 15, and Im glad they didnt tell me when i was younger because it would have changed the way i looked at them, I could understand it better and handle it more with the maturity.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsloan View Post
    i like this topic
    I'm just wondering why?

As the original thread starter this is a very live issue for me at the moment. I want very much to do the right thing for my children at the same time as getting used to the fact that I may be incontinent for the rest of my life. I think the adisc community is a great place to be and I personally value very much the comments and encouragement that people offer here.

So yes, I also like this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Incontinent17 View Post
    I'm just wondering why?

.... So yes, I also like this topic.
    I blame facebook

on a more serious note it all depends on how mature you think your kids are. some kids it might be better to tell at a younger age so they grow up with it and aren't suddenly shocked with the information, some kids might just be too young to understand and sometimes its better just not to tell them till its brought up unless it is something that could be hereditary that they might have to deal with.
    as stated above 15-teens is probably the age at which to tell them, if you don't at that age they will probably find out sooner or later on their own. just remember that no matter what age you do tell them if you even do being IC doesn't really change the role of being a parent you will still love them and they will love you ( even though as teenagers they will deny this up and down usually). whatever you choose to do I hope it goes well and remember diapers are just part of life you start with them go for a bit without them and when your older you will most likely be in them again.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBeau View Post
    They might be a bit young right now, but if you want to tell them, I would do so before they got too old. I say this for two reasons. First, you don't want to make it look like you're hiding something. They will likely notice something is up at some point (24/7 will be hard to hide forever), and when they do, I would say something. Secondly, kids are very adaptable at a young age. Things that would rock a teen to thier core will sometimes cause no issue to a child. Just some food for thought.
    This is more along the lines that I was thinking. I suppose it depends on whether or not this is expected to be an ongoing condition or if it will likely clear up. As a medical problem, there's nothing funny about incontinence and it shouldn't be some shameful secret that you go to any lengths to hide from those who are close to you. The bigger risk I see from telling younger kids is not what they'll think but what they might say since their filters aren't what we expect from adults, so they may think nothing of saying in public that "daddy wears diapers" at some point.

This really seems more appropriate to the incontinence forum, so I'm relocating it there and we'll see what people have to say over there.