Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: My dad did the impossible.

  1. #1

    Default My dad did the impossible.

    He fried his tri-core processor, playing FARMVILLE!
    My god, he never ceases to amaze me, and finding a compatible processor wasn't easy, as it was a 4 year old computer.
    My reaction to this:

  2. #2

  3. #3

    Default

    Sounds like an AMD thing. AMD processors lack the protection technology to prevent overheating. You can can take an Intel processor and pull the cooler off of it; it will slow down, and even shut down to prevent it from burning its self up. AMD processors will run at full throttle until they burn up. This is why I never put AMD processors in to any of the DVR products I've designed even though they're cheaper. I've actually taken a heat gun to every Intel processor I've ever tested (as part of the qualification process) to get it to the shut down point. I've never had one fail from overheating; they simply shut down, and come right back up after they cool off and the system is rebooted.

    Make sure the fan in clean of dust, working to full capacity, and use a good quality thermal past like Arctic Silver. That should help prevent it from happening again. You may even want to get an add-on thermal alarm that will notify you of an overheating problem. I used to put them on all my AMD systems at home.

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by SoggyDoggy View Post
    Sounds like an AMD thing. AMD processors lack the protection technology to prevent overheating. You can can take an Intel processor and pull the cooler off of it; it will slow down, and even shut down to prevent it from burning its self up. AMD processors will run at full throttle until they burn up. This is why I never put AMD processors in to any of the DVR products I've designed even though they're cheaper. I've actually taken a heat gun to every Intel processor I've ever tested (as part of the qualification process) to get it to the shut down point. I've never had one fail from overheating; they simply shut down, and come right back up after they cool off and the system is rebooted.

    Make sure the fan in clean of dust, working to full capacity, and use a good quality thermal past like Arctic Silver. That should help prevent it from happening again. You may even want to get an add-on thermal alarm that will notify you of an overheating problem. I used to put them on all my AMD systems at home.
    It actually is an AMD processor, and he never cleaned it properly. The thermal paste was cheap as well, and there is a thermal alarm built into the system, my dad somehow disabled it though...

    I think i might try a liquid cooling system if my dad is up for the cost, if not, i tested the fan in another computer after cleaning it out, and it works fine.

    I did find a replacement one, and I also got the arctic silver thermal paste, I used that in my laptop after a near burn up after leaving it on, while during the summer, while it was sitting on my bed. Now I never get it to that point again, even when trying to get it to burn up.

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by JATO457 View Post
    I think i might try a liquid cooling system if my dad is up for the cost, if not, i tested the fan in another computer after cleaning it out, and it works fine.
    Do you trust him not to tinker with a liquid cooling system....

    I can't say I really see the point, however. Unless you're overclocking, or aiming for extreme quietness, liquid-cooling is overkill. I actually gave up on it after a few years, and went back to fans.

  6. #6

    Default



    I think i might try a liquid cooling system if my dad is up for the cost, if not, i tested the fan in another computer after cleaning it out, and it works fine.
    Most of the boxes I build are liquid cooled. Few things I'll note:

    - The liquid has to be topped up occasionally. They are not zero maintenance. Additionally (and this is especially true if you mix copper and aluminum), the coolant starts to get sludgy and can jam up your blocks so it's generally a good idea to drain and refill the system once a year or so.
    - You still generally still want fans, as all the other chips on your motherboard and other peripherals are generally not cooled with blocks, even in the most elaborate setups. You can however have all the fans cranked way down, as they are no longer cooling the big heat sources... just all the little ones.
    - There are a lot more points of failure. Tubing, connectors, radiators, pumps, blocks ..

    Definitely not something I would recommend for someone who isn't tech savvy. It's fun from a hobby perspective... but fan cooling is probably more reliable.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by SoggyDoggy View Post
    Sounds like an AMD thing. AMD processors lack the protection technology to prevent overheating. You can can take an Intel processor and pull the cooler off of it; it will slow down, and even shut down to prevent it from burning its self up. AMD processors will run at full throttle until they burn up. This is why I never put AMD processors in to any of the DVR products I've designed even though they're cheaper. I've actually taken a heat gun to every Intel processor I've ever tested (as part of the qualification process) to get it to the shut down point. I've never had one fail from overheating; they simply shut down, and come right back up after they cool off and the system is rebooted.

    Make sure the fan in clean of dust, working to full capacity, and use a good quality thermal past like Arctic Silver. That should help prevent it from happening again. You may even want to get an add-on thermal alarm that will notify you of an overheating problem. I used to put them on all my AMD systems at home.
    hahahahaha thats sooo true! even the computer im using now to post this is BURNING hot in my lap. (compaq with windows 7 hp, amd vision processor)

  8. #8

    Default

    If you ever work on fixing computers as a Job you see some Nasty Stuff. I seen some look like the inside of a vacuum bag.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by SoggyDoggy View Post
    Sounds like an AMD thing. AMD processors lack the protection technology to prevent overheating. You can can take an Intel processor and pull the cooler off of it; it will slow down, and even shut down to prevent it from burning its self up. AMD processors will run at full throttle until they burn up. This is why I never put AMD processors in to any of the DVR products I've designed even though they're cheaper. I've actually taken a heat gun to every Intel processor I've ever tested (as part of the qualification process) to get it to the shut down point. I've never had one fail from overheating; they simply shut down, and come right back up after they cool off and the system is rebooted.

    Make sure the fan in clean of dust, working to full capacity, and use a good quality thermal past like Arctic Silver. That should help prevent it from happening again. You may even want to get an add-on thermal alarm that will notify you of an overheating problem. I used to put them on all my AMD systems at home.
    I have been using AMD kit for years, and at one point through neglect, my heatsync was completely clogged with dust. The system overheated and shut down with no ill effects. That system is still running today. Its true that AMD kit tends to be a little more dangerous with heat, but I prefer them because they're great at innovation. They were the ones that moved the memory controller to the processor. They were the first to have a true dual core (intel left 2 single core units connected). I'm thinking Intel had to put the extra thought into heat because they run so much hotter. Look at the package size, compared to the heatsync you have to use.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    If you ever work on fixing computers as a Job you see some Nasty Stuff. I seen some look like the inside of a vacuum bag.
    You ought to like these then...

    Dirty, dirty PCs: The X-rated picture guide

    Dirty PCs: How much filth can you take?

    The Horror!

Similar Threads

  1. The Impossible Astronaut
    By MarchThackery in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 27-Apr-2011, 16:17
  2. Perfection is impossible
    By mchkeegan in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 06-Jul-2010, 22:23
  3. Is the Pursuit of happiness impossible?
    By Savid23 in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-Nov-2009, 07:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.