Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Love <3

Red face Love <3

This thread is going to be completely open, and I invite EVERYONE to contribute, because this is a topic that will vary person to person. My question is: what exactly would you define as love? This is not limited to relationships, this can mean love of family, love of a person in a relationship, loving the way someone looks, loving an object, ANYTHING.

What does the word "love" mean to you? What specifically is the first thing that comes to mind? Please be open and honest. =] I know for me, I love love! I love anyone who is willing to be kind and loving, anyone who cares for others. That's my love. What is yours?

<3

Love (for me) is illogical, but necessary. I wouldn't be who I am without it. There's all kinds of "love", but to say I "love" something or someone represents a strong attachment of some sort. It's a vital part of my life to love and be loved by others. And it's a great feeling to be passionate and love something you're interested in. For me, that passion is animals and art.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
    Love (for me) is illogical, but necessary. I wouldn't be who I am without it. There's all kinds of "love", but to say I "love" something or someone represents a strong attachment of some sort. It's a vital part of my life to love and be loved by others. And it's a great feeling to be passionate and love something you're interested in. For me, that passion is animals and art.
    What kinds of animals? Pets or like in a zoo? Random lol

Quote Originally Posted by bighugeford View Post
    What kinds of animals? Pets or like in a zoo? Random lol
    Helping animals in general. I volunteer at my humane society, and I'm considering adopting a shelter dog soon. I also support WWF and plan to donate regularly in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
    Helping animals in general. I volunteer at my humane society, and I'm considering adopting a shelter dog soon. I also support WWF and plan to donate regularly in the future.
    That's really sweet =] a very good answer!

In regards to people, Randall Monroe describes love in a way that I would understand it...

...with love as an undefinable variable.

But for an object, such as food...

...you get the idea.

For me there has been two kinds of love....at least two, maybe more. My first love affair was with a girl when I was in high school. I cared for her and about her. If she hurt, I hurt. As soon as school was over, I was at her house. We shared our frustrations with life, shared and enjoyed folk music, drank, got drunk and made love. As soon as we parted for different colleges, she dumped me.

At college I met a guy and he became the next big thing. Sex with a guy was a new experience, and being loved and cared for by a guy was so very different. We are close in a special way to this very day. But a curious thing happened that first year of college. That summer when I went home, I met my parents' newspaper boy and suddenly I was overcome with the most passionate love I have maybe ever experienced. He was amazing, and I still have pictures from when we were together, so many years ago. He drove me crazy, and as I accepted the fact that it couldn't be a sexual relationship because of his age, I sunk into depression. Every day I would walk down to his house and we would party into the wee hours. He, though he was young, was the center person of our group of returned home college students. He was amazing, the grandest "A" personality you could ever find. I had fixed his mini bike for him, and we would ride around our little community, he sitting on my lap, his long hair blowing in my face as I held on to him by his waist. Eventually I would try to drown myself in the Toms River. By the end of college I had a shrink and the time honored suicide card, his personal phone number.

Later I would meet the woman who would become my wife. We have been married for 37 years, and have three children. We are sole mates, having shared our adult lives together. Should I outlive her, I can't imagine going through the motions of life, work, coming home to an empty house, and convincing myself that I should keep going. This last love is the mature love, one forged on the fire of the blacksmith and beaten with his hammer. We have survived being poor, moving and acquiring new jobs, losing parents and loved ones and even an unborn child. She is diabetic and I have learned how to make life as pleasant as possible for her. This love is the kind that "knoweth no understanding".

locololo

to me, love is one of those distractions, if it is a colleague or worker, but if it is someone not involvedin your work life, or if it is your work life, then it is ok. i view it as being truly happy with anything, or anyone, like how i am with my work.

For me love is being able to trust someone enough that I can take emotional risks with them. Knowing they're far enough offbeat themselves that I can open up about my weirder sides (there are a lot of them) and not be judged. It's being able to share all the joys of the crazy things I'm into with someone who's on my level, having a partner in crime, not someone who demands explanations and drags me down. And it's just looking at them and thinking "Wow. I get to hold and touch someone that gorgeous."

Quote Originally Posted by jimini View Post
    In regards to people, Randall Monroe describes love in a way that I would understand it...

...with love as an undefinable variable.

But for an object, such as food...

...you get the idea.
    Aw that was really nice =]

---------- Post added at 15:22 ---------- Previous post was at 15:19 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    For me there has been two kinds of love....at least two, maybe more. My first love affair was with a girl when I was in high school. I cared for her and about her. If she hurt, I hurt. As soon as school was over, I was at her house. We shared our frustrations with life, shared and enjoyed folk music, drank, got drunk and made love. As soon as we parted for different colleges, she dumped me.

At college I met a guy and he became the next big thing. Sex with a guy was a new experience, and being loved and cared for by a guy was so very different. We are close in a special way to this very day. But a curious thing happened that first year of college. That summer when I went home, I met my parents' newspaper boy and suddenly I was overcome with the most passionate love I have maybe ever experienced. He was amazing, and I still have pictures from when we were together, so many years ago. He drove me crazy, and as I accepted the fact that it couldn't be a sexual relationship because of his age, I sunk into depression. Every day I would walk down to his house and we would party into the wee hours. He, though he was young, was the center person of our group of returned home college students. He was amazing, the grandest "A" personality you could ever find. I had fixed his mini bike for him, and we would ride around our little community, he sitting on my lap, his long hair blowing in my face as I held on to him by his waist. Eventually I would try to drown myself in the Toms River. By the end of college I had a shrink and the time honored suicide card, his personal phone number.

Later I would meet the woman who would become my wife. We have been married for 37 years, and have three children. We are sole mates, having shared our adult lives together. Should I outlive her, I can't imagine going through the motions of life, work, coming home to an empty house, and convincing myself that I should keep going. This last love is the mature love, one forged on the fire of the blacksmith and beaten with his hammer. We have survived being poor, moving and acquiring new jobs, losing parents and loved ones and even an unborn child. She is diabetic and I have learned how to make life as pleasant as possible for her. This love is the kind that "knoweth no understanding".
    Aww that's really touching, such a long healthy marriage is seldom seen these days, that's true love <3