Thread: Cheapskate and creative babies!

Default Cheapskate and creative babies!

OK, so who else is on a budget here?

My latest money-saving idea is trying out some supermarket own brand bottles - I'm going to get some Asda wide neck bottles and try the tesco own-brand anti-colic teats in them. Shame there isn't a variflow one, Asda make one of those but then it doesn't have an anti-colic system. I'll let you know how it goes

I also bought some Asda baby food pots and used them for taking sugar and tea with me when I went camping Cheeky, practical and space-saving too. What's your best low-price AB find?

Hm... I recently just started purchasing diapers online. I usually only buy when there is some sort of sale/discount going on (even if it is only a small discount). I also cut coupons when I purchase baby diapers as stuffers ... it's surprising how quickly those little bits add up!
    Last edited by Cosmos; 24-May-2011 at 23:02. Reason: left out a word :P

I had the idea to buy a plastic waterproof table cover from a party shop to use as a changing / play matt - I hope it works out ok, my carpet is a beige /sandy colour that stains like hell :-s - hopefully 1.99 well invested.

Search ebay for diapers. I picked up 2 packs of 28 (56 in total!) of tena super mediums for 1.98 (+18 postage :P) because there was a stock closing down clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by ryrypie View Post
    Search ebay for diapers. I picked up 2 packs of 28 (56 in total!) of tena super mediums for 1.98 (+18 postage :P) because there was a stock closing down clearance.
    Wow, good deal, and those should last you at least two days ryry :P

My tip is to buy in bulk if you have the space, almost all large company's offer a massive discount on the per item price if you buy lots of their products in one order. If they don't do that in there on-line price quote, don't be afraid to email them, or even better ring them up and ask for a better price. It's not cheeky, it's business! They're getting alot of profit from your big order. Of course, make sure you're asking for more then like 10 diaper's >_>

changeme

Asda baby bottles are brilliant, although i had to make the hole in the teat slightly bigger and the flow rate wasn't enough

Quote Originally Posted by changeme View Post
    Asda baby bottles are brilliant, although i had to make the hole in the teat slightly bigger and the flow rate wasn't enough
    I've just got some Asda wide neck bottles and tried them out with the variflow teats you can get from Boots - finally some cheap ones that have anti-colic valves! You're right, they're fantastic, I definitely think I've found my cheapskate bottle solution
    Last edited by tinyfish; 25-May-2011 at 18:24.

Try the local Poundworld (or whatever they call the shops that sell everything at a pound) - bargain baby goods are sometimes there to be had.

Artie

Gumtree, there's a woman nearish me selling packs of 28 nappies or pads for 3.
    She's already gotten back to me, I just need to pluck up the courage to go get some.

---------- Post added 29-05-2011 at 20:15 ---------- Previous post was 27-05-2011 at 21:04 ----------

Lidl, currently selling packs of 28 attends slip regular clones for 10

Add that to my gumtree shenanigans I now have 112 nappies all for the grand sum of 26

Lidl are also selling waterproof mattress toppers for 7, but i've already got my own so i wont be getting any, mine was free anyway!