Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Be thankful we live in this day and age.

Default Be thankful we live in this day and age.

I've been thinking a lot lately, and I have come to a decision. Most of us are very very lucky! It's easy to look at the problems and issues that we have in our day to day lives and think "Life sucks!" or "Life is hard!", but really, life is just grand!

Three weeks ago, my fiance gave birth to my son. The labour was long and hard, and in the end, he had as assisted delivery. If this had been even fifty years ago, both my fiance and baby would not have survived. However, with modern medical aid, we were out of the hospital in 48 hours.

Even as I type this out, I think back to 15 years ago. There was no internet. At least not like it exists now. Now we have access to limitless information. We can connect with people and form relationships that used to be impossible! Cancer and AIDS are not always the death sentence that they once were. We have access to almost all of the art, music, movies, and TV that EVER was. We can travel halfway around the world in less than a day in relative comfort.

This day and age has its issues for sure, but all in all, it's a pretty amazing time to be alive. I am so thankful to be in the here and now. The world is truly a glorious place! Embrace it!

What do you think?

i'm glad to be alive in this day and age. To think that around 15 years ago, the age of the computer was something that could only be used in certain areas like your local school or college and it was to expensive to afford your own personal cpu. But now, it's practilly manditory to own one. And while i am straight and white, I'm proud at how more accepting that we, as a human race have become for women, and people of a different skin tone. While their are things that can use improving on, like our crappy goverment, which I won't get into, right now. I'm enjoying life and the tools we are given, to live our everyday lifes.

I agree, the medical advances have definitely improved our standard of living (for those who can afford it/in a comfortable situation to take advantage). The access to global information definitely help broaden the mind - rather than relying on the selective reporting of the news/radio/TV. Certainly the Internet has lead to a general breakdown of censorship - leaving us free to discover art/music/movies/TV that we wouldn't have had access to without it.

However, I'd much rather be growing up in the 90s than today's age. YouTube inadvertently sparked the "happy slap" phase - bullies going for a global audience. The wide access to "questionable" material is generally causing a sexual awakening for children a lot earlier than ever before - even the sexual nature of the media/advertising isn't helping the case. The "always-on" Internet connection and gaming scenec gives children an excuse to stay indoors and avoid social contact - I'd be even larger than I am now if I had distractions at home to dissuade me from going out with friends as a kid.

Plus, the constant reporting of bad news is leading to a state of fear - when my parents were kids they'd leave the house at 7, spend the day exploring, come back at 9 in the evening, and the parents wouldn't have a clue where they'd been. Even when I was growing up, there was a childhood naivety about it all. Nowadays there is generally a lack of community outreach and spirit - plus there is a general fear to help out your fellow humans...

That said, this is my opinion from living in the UK - it's highly likely it is just a localised view of the world!

I like that I'm born in this era because of the many changes that take place and I'm glad to see it. Then again I don't like this era, it's too primative in technology I'd want to see a civilization with great advancements in science and medicine. Then again who knows we might be heading there in the next 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroWolf View Post
    Then again I don't like this era, it's too primative in technology I'd want to see a civilization with great advancements in science and medicine. Then again who knows we might be heading there in the next 20 years.
    Really, that's the beauty of the future. We're always heading there. Tommorow will be ever more fantastic, and though our reach may exceed our grasp, we continue to reach further!

Yeah, I was thinking about this earlier. We have things so good now. I mean, of course there are a lot of problems, but every era has them.

It is bothersome when people my age complain about how terrible we have it. It seems like things are a lot better nowadays than the times my parents were kids.

The media exists just to scare people and make people think things are worse than they actually are.

I don't think sexuality is as much of an issue as people make it though. Kids were always naturally curious. The issue is that authority figures aren't doing anything productive in order to stop kids from doing stupid things.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleAura View Post
    I don't think sexuality is as much of an issue as people make it though. Kids were always naturally curious. The issue is that authority figures aren't doing anything productive in order to stop kids from doing stupid things.
    In pioneer days people were married with a kid or two by the time they hit 19. Teens have been hooking up forever. At least now there is some idea about safe sex and sex ed. No such thing in my parents day...

I'm thankful but yet saddened living in this age. Sure, I've got a really long way to go still, but I can't seem to look at only the positives and not the negatives.

Let my bad mood not rain on you--congratulations for your son!

Quote Originally Posted by carbonfiber View Post
    I'm thankful but yet saddened living in this age. Sure, I've got a really long way to go still, but I can't seem to look at only the positives and not the negatives.

Let my bad mood not rain on you--congratulations for your son!
    Thank you!

It's not a matter of looking only at the positives. It's about looking at the positives at all. In my day to day life, it can be hard to do, but if you see even small things in this world that are good, it becomes habit forming. It's about small steps to a brighter view. I don't mean to blow sunshine up your A, I'm just saything that positive thoughts, no matter how small, will impact you positvely. That's a promise! Since writing this, I really have felt in a better mood, even if it's just slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBeau View Post
    I've been thinking a lot lately, and I have come to a decision. Most of us are very very lucky! It's easy to look at the problems and issues that we have in our day to day lives and think "Life sucks!" or "Life is hard!", but really, life is just grand!

Three weeks ago, my fiance gave birth to my son. The labour was long and hard, and in the end, he had as assisted delivery. If this had been even fifty years ago, both my fiance and baby would not have survived. However, with modern medical aid, we were out of the hospital in 48 hours.

Even as I type this out, I think back to 15 years ago. There was no internet. At least not like it exists now. Now we have access to limitless information. We can connect with people and form relationships that used to be impossible! Cancer and AIDS are not always the death sentence that they once were. We have access to almost all of the art, music, movies, and TV that EVER was. We can travel halfway around the world in less than a day in relative comfort.

This day and age has its issues for sure, but all in all, it's a pretty amazing time to be alive. I am so thankful to be in the here and now. The world is truly a glorious place! Embrace it!

What do you think?
    Only in developed countries, where we can afford it. You forgot to mention that little part.