Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: my second furry drawing ever it sucks but i need some helpful critism or just critism

Question my second furry drawing ever it sucks but i need some helpful critism or just critism

First will some one tell me how to spell critism *cough* *fail* and here is my pic Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20110526.2.jpg 
Views:	1321 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	4578

Quote Originally Posted by notnorth1 View Post
    First will some one tell me how to spell critism
    Criticism

First off, i'd say work on the proportions, thats usually the first thing people notice, after that, practice, practice, practice. I'm a very poor artist myself, but I am slowly getting better. I would say look at some other peoples sketches and rough drafts to get an idea of how to go from blank page to rough, to sketch, to final. Hope this helps.

Booger

The arms look detached from the body. Try sketching a body structure first with the desired pose in mind before drawing the picture itself. A body structure or wire frame usually consists of various shapes forming a figure. Remember, most of the artists that can draw something from nothing have had years of practice studying other art styles, anatomy and drawing from structured bases before becoming much of what your favorite work is today. For example, try this tutorial-

Draw a Manga Character - Using a Basic Wireframe to Structure a Manga Character

Good job! Now continue drawing.

It's kind of hard to see, but the face looks more human than furry. Like, it looks like a generic anime character face instead of one that is animal-like. Perhaps you could try looking at animal faces and use those as references? It looks like you drew the paw pretty well though.

Look how he's standing, do you ever stand like that? I just tried it and it made me feel like I was going to fall over backwards if I stayed like that too long. You can use yourself as a reference for poses if you try to draw people from memory, unless you have like, arthritis. In which case, how did you get foot arthritis? Cracking your toes?

Best advice I can give you is to, if you only ever want to draw people (or furry things), draw them from real life first, or from a reference. Download lots of pictures of people and try to draw people in real life. Don't get too detailed, just try to learn the basic anatomy. Details can come later.

First thing is you need to stop being so hard on yourself. If this was your first try, you should be happy with it. There are many people that start off with a much weaker talent for drawing.

Practicing will help you work out how to structure the picture a lot. Usually an anthro-artist's knowlage of anatomy, proportion and colour (to name a few) improve over time, and not by a sudden realisation. Looking at other's work will also help as an influence to your own style, but never copy directly or try to draw just like somebody else. You need to develop your own style.

In terms of the drawing you posted, it's hard to see. But it would be ideal to star with a plan (even just a stick figure body with a rough shape for a head will do) then work on the actual body and limbs, and the head shape. Once you have all of that sorted, you can add texture to the body, such as fur and muscle definition, and onto the face. This can be done in diffirent orders, but it's important to work up the shape, instead of just conjuring it onto paper from nowhere, then add the fine details at the end.

If you are serious about getting into anthro-art, a graphics tablet may be a decent investment. In using one, you can edit much more cleanly and precisely using layers and the final product can have much stronger and smoother colour to it, not to mention being able to Alt-Z/Y and add effects to the image, but then again, it isn't neccesary in any sense and many people prefer hand-drawn art, in which case, a good scanner would be the better choice.

Sorry at all if anyone feels this advice is at all incorrect or unsensible, and feel free to correct me. I am in no sense a "Master" Artist. Either way, good luck and have fun drawing. It can be frustrating to learn, so just do what you can and try not to get angry over it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoonWolf View Post
    If you are serious about getting into anthro-art, a graphics tablet may be a decent investment. In using one, you can edit much more cleanly and precisely using layers and the final product can have much stronger and smoother colour to it, not to mention being able to Alt-Z/Y and add effects to the image, but then again, it isn't neccesary in any sense and many people prefer hand-drawn art, in which case, a good scanner would be the better choice.
    That's not true. A graphics tablet is incredibly hard to use unless you already have a solid idea of what you're doing. They are less persice than a pencil, and computer art is much more complex than pencil and paper. It is much better to start with pencil and paper to get a solid grip on the basics before you start messing around with tablets and computer art. I've been drawing for years and still don't have the hang of it 100% quite yet, while I'm pretty okay with traditional art. If you don't know how to use it, a tablet will just hinder your ability. Not that tablets are bad, they are great, just not for beginners.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleAura View Post
    That's not true. A graphics tablet is incredibly hard to use unless you already have a solid idea of what you're doing. They are less persice than a pencil.
    Precise* sorry ^^ can't help it. I only speak from experience, I find a graphics tablet much easier to use for complete drawings. It's a matter of opinion I guess. It's certainly a diffirent way of drawing, but I did mention in my post that it isn't for everyone. A Pencil just isn't more precise... how could it be? It works the same as a graphics tablet's pen, and you have the added functions of zooming in, out, resizing images, pen size, and whether or not pressure affects your image and it what ways. Alright, you can see exactly where you put a pencil on paper, but that's just something you get used to through trial and error. If anything, I would say a graphics tablet is more precise. Computer art doesn't need to be complex, hell you don't even need to use layers if you don't want to.

Tl;dr - Graphics Tablets can be good for beginners.