Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do people label awesome things as Hipster stuff?

Default Why do people label awesome things as Hipster stuff?

Lately I've been listening to this great band Neutral Milk Hotel and I've seen many people label this AMAZING band as Hipster music.

I don't know why people label the band as Hipster music, because in my understanding of Hipsters, they are people who follow the latest trends. Now how can this band be Hipster music when they broke up in 1998? Before Hipsters even existed?

By the way, what do you people think of Neutral Milk Hotel? Do you love them? Do you hate them? Or are you asking yourself "Who the f*ck is Neutral Milk Hotel?"

P.S. I cried of happiness when I saw the topic of Neutral Milk Hotel on my favorite television program, Parks and Recreations. It's a victory for humanity...

there was a period of my life when neutral milk hotel was my absolute favorite band, and i still think "in the aeroplane over the sea" ranks among the most perfect albums ever created. somehow that music just effortlessly accomplishes what all art is trying to do. i'm glad to know people are still listening to them.

don't worry about the "hipster" thing -- it's a compliment. people are just jealous that you're into all the coolest music, so they find some way to deride you. it's news to me if neutral milk hotel is "the latest trend," but even if it is who cares? it's great music one way or another.

I have yet to understand what being called a hipster means? Is it like being a tool? or a try hard? or none of the above?

A hipster is actually someone who doesn't like popular things. They like rare and obscure stuff. Someone who follows the latest popular trends would definitely not be a hipster. I suppose hipsters have their own trends though, to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by WingDog View Post
    I have yet to understand what being called a hipster means? Is it like being a tool? or a try hard? or none of the above?
    "Definition of 'hipster' remains opaque to anyone outside this self-proclaiming, highly-selective circle". She claims that the "whole point of hipsters is that they avoid labels and being labeled. However, they all dress the same and act the same and conform in their non-conformity" to an "iconic carefully created sloppy vintage look."

Basically they try to be anti-conformist by conforming to not conforming.

Also to the OP, hipsters have basically always existed, it's not a new thing. I'm guessing the band you like is really obscure as most hipster bands are, they typically like independent artists that no one has ever heard of and tend to dislike any mainstream act (at least in public). But don't concern yourself with labels, just do what you like.

This video should help understand hipsters :p

That video was great

And Neutral Milk Hotel is the kind of obscure "you've never heard of them" band that hipsters go for. As has been stated, while "hipster" is not solidly defined anywhere, the gist is non-conformity for the sake of it. You have a bunch of people all not-conforming in a similar way. As Lewis Black would say: don't think about that for more than a few seconds or blood will shoot out your nose.

Like anything else, one can like an obscure band and not be a hipster. It's liking it because it's obscure and bragging about how obscure your taste in music is that makes one a hipster, not the music specifically.

I think the public at large is tired of hipsters and now just has the unfortunate knee-jerk reaction of assuming anyone who listens to a non-mainstream band a hipster.

Gosh, the hipster thing gets me. I love fedora hats and I have a bunch of them that I'll wear for fun. Unfortunately it gets me labelled as one of them. :P I just like weird old stuff...I can't help it. I mean I actually like to dig up weird stuff from the yard. Apparently the people who lived where I do before I did didn't believe in trash men. They just pitched what they didn't want out their back door. I dug up a pair of tube socks, three tee shirts and two pairs of old rotten y-fronts while trying to plant a tree. (And threw the underpants at a relative, who took off screaming through the yard. Proper behavior in regards to being put into underpants I believe!)

I really think hipsters just try too hard. I do my own thing and don't worry about other people or if it's popular or not.

The same thing was true of "alternative" kids back when I was in highschool. Sure, some people try to hard, but that's true in all walks of life and is far from unique to any sub-culture group. Sub-culture groups are just easier to spot because they're in the minority by definition. I say, just let people do their thing and neither accept or condemn anyone based on what social group they seemingly belong to. Even if you hate a particular social group just because someone appears to belong to it doesn't necessarily mean they do.

Vin Diesel presuming one of the kids he's watching is a neo-nazi in the Pacifier comes to mind. It turns out he actually was secretly in a production of The Sound of Music. Weird ass reference to be sure but it kind of works.

For the record I listen to some grotesquely obscure music. The sort of music you could only own if you happened to buy it from the artist himself when he happened to be selling it on CDR 10 years ago and no one really bought it. That sort of obscure. Things that would immediately identify me to anyone looking if I where to mention them by name. I also really like Mandy Moore. Same thing goes for music as people, don't discard it because it's popular OR obscure.

As the old saying goes, don't judge a book by it's cover.

Because NMH are a hipster band. Well, I guess at this point it's more pseudo-hipster, as people who listen to them would like them to be obscure but there are so many of them that they're actually fairly well known.