Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where Can I Learn to Draw Furries?

Default Where Can I Learn to Draw Furries?

I was just wondering if anyone knew a good place to learn to draw furries. I would really like to learn to do it recreationally (not as a career). So far my only plan is to take a drawing course at my high school, but that of course takes an entire year and may/may not teach furries (I assume I'll learn humans and work from there). I was just wondering if anyone knew of a website or anything that I could go to first that gives advice on drawing furries. Thanks!

Take the drawing class!
    I took one last year, I learned a lot and had a lot of fun!

I wouldn't think they would teach you about furry stuff, but you should get a great drawing overview from a professional teacher.
    Since furries are anthromorphic animals, a lot of furry animals look a LOT like a person. If you have a sketch of a person, you have a great base for your furry drawing.

You could try tracing to get a feel for proportions, curves, stuff like that.

Remember: Start BASIC. Circles, ovals, curves. I even start with a 'wireframe' kind of sketch before I do those! (Pretty much a stick person...)
    Maybe check out some 'furry speed drawings' on Youtube. Even the best artists start out their drawings with basic shapes.

Oh, and PRACTICE! You'll get there!
    Good luck, and have fun!

I´m not sure if there´s something special to learn about drawing furries (since it somehow combines drawing animals and humans).
    I think you should just have a look at other people´s drawings to get some inspiration and start practising until you´re happy with the results (at least that´s how I gained my "skills" :-D).

You could always look up tutorials. I'm sure there's a bunch of them on deviantart and furaffinity.

Remember though, everyone draws differently. So while it's good to learn from what you see, don't be afraid to make your own style.

I wouldn't suggest you use any online guides unless you want to draw exactly like the guides tell you, or slightly differently.

I mean, I guess it depends on how good you want to get - but you won't learn anything worth knowing if you read a bunch of guides. The only way to improve at drawing is to draw.

The problem with my "art" currently is that everything I draw looks completely 2 dimensional. I mean, I know the picture isn't going to leap off the page, but every drawing literally looks like someone plastered the figure onto a wall. The limbs look completely flat (not cylindrical, etc). If I try to fix it, the best I can think of is drawing a line behind the figure, making it look like I'm drawing box-people. I also have no idea whatsoever how to draw faces, or eyes (they're always unequal and soul-less). I'm also very bad with proportions. Also, (when I getinto coloring my drawings), how do people get incredibly solid colors? Point Blanch's avatar for instance-- it is solid blue, all throughout. Whenever I draw, I always get stubborn light/dark patches in solid color areas.

How do I even begin to counter any of this?

I bet Point Blanch's was made on the computer. You know, with a 'fill' function?

A lot of the really good furry art (StrawberryNeko, Tavimunk.......) you see on the 'net is made using premium software.

If you have the money, get a drawing tablet. You use a stylus and draw on it like with a pen and paper.
    This kind of setup is ideal because you can simulate pen/brush strokes, use fill functions, put in text, all kinds of cool stuff.

Eyes: I don't know if you looked up any speed drawings, but really good artists usually do a base color, airbrush a second or third color, then airbrush white on to make the eyes 'sparkle'.

Proportions: Print out some furry pictures, and then trace the basic shapes that make up the character. Visualize the character in front of you as a series of curves and ovals. (Organic figures almost never have straight lines.) Practice!

2-D: Arguably the most difficult part. One could have a really awesome drawing, but if it doesn't "pop", it doesn't seem quite...finished.
    Shading is very important here. But remember, don't just color in the sides of your character with a sharpie. No, no.
    Try cross-hatching. (Small or large X's all linked together as a grid. The smaller the hatch, the tighter the grid, the darker the shade will be.) Try your best to keep all your hatches' angles consistent across the whole drawing, like grid paper. If you do, the drawing will appear cleaner and more well-organized.

Practice, practice, practice. It takes time!
    Every moment you spend drawing boosts your skills.

Hope I helped, and good luck! ^^