Thread: Small Request for a bit of information.

Default Small Request for a bit of information.

I have an essay due in my English class and I'm having difficulty finding some information. I am required to provide examples of modern day women who fit Lady Macbeth's "Template" so to speak. This is to say women who manipulate to the extreme and then as a result get bitten on their hiney. Women who bite off more than they can chew and as a result they choke.

So far I have Sarah Palin and my ex girlfriend. Another example or two and I'm fine. Once I have a name of someone to use researching them is a piece of cake.

Anyway I greatly appreciate any help!

Not that she was evil-hearted or anything, but you can generally assume that Hilary Clinton was doing a Lady-Macbeth during the Clinton administration.

Edit: although I'm unsure where you can find a legitimate source to confirm this.

Try to get a copy of this book from your library:

'A Feminist Companion to Shakespeare' edited Dympna Callaghan Published by Wiley-Blackwell

Winnie Mandela springs to mind...

EDIT: That's a rather interesting assignment for a teacher to set. It could be interpreted as an exercise in slander.

Come to think of it, Lady Macbeth herself doesn't really seem to fit the template as you describe it - who exactly does she manipulate apart from her husband?

dprdinky

Google "Fem Fatale" - Britney has a song about it. It might help you in getting your subject going.

Look at all the celeb women out there who are in trouble with the law and all.

I don't think you could use your ex-girlfriend as a credible source -- after all, it's not exactly something that could be cross-checked. Lindsay Lohan could be an option, however.

I too think this is an interesting take on Lady Macbeth, and not necessarily a beneficial assignment. Lady Macbeth existed outside of her cultural timeframe -- her manipulation was not merely a negative thing. She was inspired by supernatural means (hearsay regarding the witches and their prophecy for Macbeth) to step outside of her station. In this, she broke typical expectations of the female and wife at the time, but also usurped Macbeth's male identity in doing so. Yes, what she does spits in the face of the proper order of things (and causes others to fall out of the proper order as well), but I actually never saw it as something entirely awful or wholly her fault. She might have been driven insane by the deeds she helped commit, but there's something inspiring about a character as brutal as Lady Macbeth that no modern media could hope to match.

Quote Originally Posted by Akastus View Post
    Winnie Mandela springs to mind...

EDIT: That's a rather interesting assignment for a teacher to set. It could be interpreted as an exercise in slander.

Come to think of it, Lady Macbeth herself doesn't really seem to fit the template as you describe it - who exactly does she manipulate apart from her husband?
    Its the fact that she manipulated to the point where she caused incidents beyond what she had originally contemplated and ultimately screwed herself over in the end.

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:39 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dawes View Post
    I don't think you could use your ex-girlfriend as a credible source -- after all, it's not exactly something that could be cross-checked. Lindsay Lohan could be an option, however.

I too think this is an interesting take on Lady Macbeth, and not necessarily a beneficial assignment. Lady Macbeth existed outside of her cultural timeframe -- her manipulation was not merely a negative thing. She was inspired by supernatural means (hearsay regarding the witches and their prophecy for Macbeth) to step outside of her station. In this, she broke typical expectations of the female and wife at the time, but also usurped Macbeth's male identity in doing so. Yes, what she does spits in the face of the proper order of things (and causes others to fall out of the proper order as well), but I actually never saw it as something entirely awful or wholly her fault. She might have been driven insane by the deeds she helped commit, but there's something inspiring about a character as brutal as Lady Macbeth that no modern media could hope to match.
    I agree with you, she really is inspiring considering what she managed to do and the cunning skill she used. She was definitely not your typical woman of that time.

On the topic of Lindsay Lohan would you care to elaborate a little?

Jo Moore - the UK spin doctor who wanted to use 9/11 to ensure bad news didn't get much of a hearing, and got found out. Check the wiki page.

There was also some very interesting scuttlebutt about what she got up to while she was involved in student politics in the middle 1980s - but you'd need to look at Private Eye during late 2001 and early 2002 to track it down.

I really should add that the template I provide are my views. I just need Lady Macbeth-like ladies of the modern time. It would appear my views are somewhat clouded :$