Thread: Does your onesie stretch?

Default Does your onesie stretch?

I was given a onesie for Valentine's Day this year (thanks Love! ) but as I've used it I've noticed a particular trait about it and I'm curious if anyone else's onesie does it too.

She got me a Gabby-brand onesie from Amazon and for the torso it fits perfectly. But for the waist and lower....we discovered it hung loose...very loose. Now she didn't get it for me for AB tendencies, I'm just DL and saw a bit of utility for a very wet diaper being kept close via a onesie. Obviously though that utility was a bit questioned if it didn't even touch the diaper between the legs unless I put my arms straight up.

Well we tried washing/drying it, thinking that would shrink it and it did. In fact it shrunk it to the perfect size and I wore it to bed that night. In the morning though...we discovered that the waist and lower had once again become loose to the extent that it was touching the bottom of the diaper between the legs, but not holding it up. Since this I've discovered it stretches to this regardless if I wet or not over the course of the night.

My solution thus far has been to toss it in the drier before I want to use it...but this is a one-use-per-time solution. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you handle it? I'd prefer avoiding cutting it and restitching it to make just the cloth between the legs shorter as the torso is still fitting properly.

Or if you haven't had this problem what brand/diaper do you use? I had a friend trade me one of my active ultra pluses (only what I wear now) for an Abena and it dawned on me the diaper also plays a role in "filling" that space of the onesie too. AUP's are about as thick as a bambino (when dry anyways) and obviously Abena is thicker from wood pulp...so it filled it a bit more in the dry state.
    Last edited by Alpha; 09-May-2011 at 14:10. Reason: Added link

Does it still sag when you reach up over your head? I wear onsies often and find that even with a little sage they do still completed their main to functions of a) not letting the top of my diaper show above my pants and b) hold the diaper a bit tighter against my body. If you are only wearing the onsie to bed I can understand it would not support much since there is no weight on your shoulders. Also I suppose it matters what your onsie is made from, if it is regular t-shirt material then I can see it would stretch and stay stretched.

At night to keep my diaper in place I used terry lined plastic pants over the top of a Molicare and it works great for me. I also wear a terry romper suit that stretches and always springs back, the terry is much heaver then t-shirt cotton.

As for a fix I would suggest a second row of snaps on the shirt side (not the tail) above the first row. I Do not know if you could match the existing snaps with ones bought from the store, I would hope so but if not you could replace all of the snaps. The old snaps come off with a small screw driver prying the two parts of the snap apart. Replacing the snaps is not that hard, just go to a sewing store, get a snap-kit with a die-punch, use a hammer with a block of wood behind the snap and have at it.

Reading the reviews on Amazon a few people have also complained one being a bit saggy.

Yeah we saw that people mentioned the saggy-ness too, but according to her measurements we got what would fit me..less we make the lower half tight and the top half not fit. 'shrugs'.

And no when I put my hands up it pulls up quite well, it feels really good, it's what I wish it stayed at without having to put my hands up. Yeah it does still do its job of keeping things covered when bending over, etc but I question how much it holds to my body. When it's fresh from the drier it holds really good...but like now (I wore it last night and still am now) it's a bit loose, about a length of the thumb tip to the knuckle from the bottom of the diaper between the legs and the onesie.

Could you explain a bit more about the second row idea? Do you mean like how belts have varing holes to tighten to?...it sounds like an interesting idea if I'm understanding what you are describing.

Also, could you link where you got your onesies?

Sure - I have done this before with a pair of shortalls...

On the front of the onsie is a row of snaps, this is the row of snaps that tail snaps into. Add a second row of snaps that will attach to the tail further up the front of the onsie by 1 or 2 inches. Then the tail is pulled up a little further giving you the snug feeling you wanted and the original row of snaps is covered up by the tail.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I was given a onesie for Valentine's Day this year (thanks Love! ) but as I've used it I've noticed a particular trait about it and I'm curious if anyone else's onesie does it too.

She got me a Gabby-brand onesie from Amazon and for the torso it fits perfectly. But for the waist and lower....we discovered it hung loose...very loose. Now she didn't get it for me for AB tendencies, I'm just DL and saw a bit of utility for a very wet diaper being kept close via a onesie. Obviously though that utility was a bit questioned if it didn't even touch the diaper between the legs unless I put my arms straight up.

Well we tried washing/drying it, thinking that would shrink it and it did. In fact it shrunk it to the perfect size and I wore it to bed that night. In the morning though...we discovered that the waist and lower had once again become loose to the extent that it was touching the bottom of the diaper between the legs, but not holding it up. Since this I've discovered it stretches to this regardless if I wet or not over the course of the night.

My solution thus far has been to toss it in the drier before I want to use it...but this is a one-use-per-time solution. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you handle it? I'd prefer avoiding cutting it and restitching it to make just the cloth between the legs shorter as the torso is still fitting properly.

Or if you haven't had this problem what brand/diaper do you use? I had a friend trade me one of my active ultra pluses (only what I wear now) for an Abena and it dawned on me the diaper also plays a role in "filling" that space of the onesie too. AUP's are about as thick as a bambino (when dry anyways) and obviously Abena is thicker from wood pulp...so it filled it a bit more in the dry state.
    I have those onesies as well, The length measurements are way off then what they have on amazon, so lower part of them is the problem as they made it to long down there so that is where you get your saggyness. There is not much you can do about it with those.

you best bet is to try Babykins: KINS Onezie T-Shirt ORIGINAL they have a better fit and quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
    I have those onesies as well, The length measurements are way off then what they have on amazon, so lower part of them is the problem as they made it to long down there so that is where you get your saggyness. There is not much you can do about it with those.

you best bet is to try Babykins: KINS Onezie T-Shirt ORIGINAL they have a better fit and quality.
    Hmmm...they don't explain their sizing. Are they sized like tshirts?

Quote Originally Posted by babbler110 View Post
    Sure - I have done this before with a pair of shortalls...

On the front of the onsie is a row of snaps, this is the row of snaps that tail snaps into. Add a second row of snaps that will attach to the tail further up the front of the onsie by 1 or 2 inches. Then the tail is pulled up a little further giving you the snug feeling you wanted and the original row of snaps is covered up by the tail.

Hope this helps!
    Definitely sounds like something to try, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Hmmm...they don't explain their sizing. Are they sized like tshirts?
    The sizing is on this page Babykins: KINS Clothing

Quote Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
    The sizing is on this page Babykins: KINS Clothing
    Ah yes...that would be it :p

Yeah, onesies can stretch out a bit after they've been worn for a while. Most clothes do that, to some extent (ever notice how jeans fresh from the dryer are tighter than usual, then they loosen up after wearing them for a while?). With onesies, however, it can be a problem, for the reasons you stated.

I bought a Babykins onesie and it fit in the torso, but it was way too long for disposable diapers. I found out that the manufacturer makes their onesies with thick cloth diapers in mind. Washing did not shrink the onesie very much, so I sent it back to be shortened. It still loosens up a little bit with use (and with how much the fabric stretches, I could've had it shortened even more), but it is much better now.

My biggest piece of advice is to know what your own shoulder-to-crotch measurement is (diaper included) and pay attention to the given shoulder-to-crotch measurement of the onesie. If one isn't given, ask the seller. Try to keep the two numbers as close as possible. With stretchy fabric, I would err on the side of a shorter onesie, rather than a longer one. And babbler110 has a good idea for fixing your Gabby's onesie with new snaps.