Thread: New review on a great diaper!

Default New review on a great diaper!

Ok, so here we are, I bought my first ever premium diaper, it is called the Abena Extra (L3) from the ever so popular, XP Medical. It may seem to be a bit expensive but really, it's worth it. When I recieved the box (I have pictures of it included in this review, check the bottom of the review for them) it was exactly what they said, the box was unmarked. All it said was the owner's name, the initals XP, and my name and address. That's it, it's really discreet! No one will be able to tell what you have unless they open it. The hard part was getting the first L3 out of the bag, because they are so tightly packed together haha. Other than that, the box and bag were ok, with no signs of shipping damages.

Overall, I had a great, no Scratch that, EXCELLENT experience with XP Medical. Here's why, I ordered my L3s on Thursday night (After Hours) and I received them on Saturday (Amazing isn't it? That was FedEx ground shipping and XP is located in California, and I'm located in Michigan. So yeah, it's not like my house is " right around the corner, sort of speak"

Now for the moment you all have been waiting for, I will talk about the L3 itself. Before I start, I'll let you know I bought the Abri-Form version of the Abena, which means it's all plastic backed. It really isn't even that loud and noticeable, which is a benefit for me, but might not be for others. The only time I really noticed the sound was when I was walking up stairs, which was that distinct crinkling noise most of us know. Doesn't really bother me, just keep that in mind if you live in the same house with your family, like me.

When I was putting it on for the first time, I realized I had the left-bottom tape too far to the left and wasn't tight enough. What's the problem? Well, it wasn't exactly refasten-able, once you have the tape stuck to the diaper, it is going to stay there, so you have to make sure you get it right the first time. If all else fails, you can always take the blue part of the tape off, and use the white one under it (keep in mind that is your last chance to tape it right). I had to do just that to get a snug enough fit at the legs (most difficult part of the diapering process for me). This will take practice to tape right but after a few more diape-ings you should get the hang of it.

Now let's start off with the most important question most of you are probably asking by now, "how is the absorbancy?" While I respond "Great!" Let me explain why. When I first wet it I flooded it, it took it all very nicely and all I felt was warmth all inside of the L3, no warm feelings outside it (in other words, no leaks). After a few minutes it all went away and now it doesn't really fell all that wet anymore to me. I haven't done my second wetting yet, but if I was to make an estimate, I would say by the feel of it right now, it can take up to 3 wettings at the most.

Other great thing about this diaper is that it is very comfortable, other than the occasional itch the plastic gives you on the hip area, but other than that it is close to perfect in terms of comfort. So if you are looking for a very comfortable plastic backed diaper where you don't have to worry about leaks, then look no further my friend. These are great diapers. Overall, I give these a 9/10, as there is a few little improvements they could improve the Abri-Form on, other than that they are perfect!

Let's review:
    *Slient-ness* 8/10

*Comfort* 10/10

*Absorbancy* 10/10

Tapes: 9/10

Overall: 9/10

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0007.jpg 
Views:	2351 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	4523Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0005.jpg 
Views:	517 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	4522Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0006.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	4524

Thanks for reading my review, I hope this helps you in some way.

Have a nice day!
    Last edited by Chimera; 08-May-2011 at 06:50. Reason: Some touch-ups

If you edit this up then it might get to be an article.

Have a look at the diaper review section of the articles and maybe try and copy the format of those

If this were greatly expanded, me might be able to make an article out of it. In its current state, it needs a lot more content. PM me if that's something you might be interested in doing.

Yeah this was just a little quick review, if you want it expanded, no problem. I'll look at some articles to get the right idea.
    EDIT: Okay, I did the best I could, I hope everyone likes it and find what they are looking for!
    Last edited by Chimera; 08-May-2011 at 06:59.

I guess I am correct in assuming the L3 is identical to the L4 (except for absorbancy)? I'm hoping Loopy will be able to impart some Abena excellence in this thread!

OP, good review, though personally, I quite like to see a shot of the whole diaper folded on a surface/bed, unfolded, and then maybe taped on a pillow - shows the fit around the lower area fairly well!

That was a really good and well thought through review. I think the pictures are interesting too. A little word of caution. I am very paranoid when taking photos of packaging that I don't accidentally include my screws or my post code.