Thread: Save the forest, You'll save the Planet!

Default Save the forest, You'll save the Planet!

Yesterday I was listening to this song, Ricordati di Chico, By an Italian Band called "Nomadi". This song is dedicated to Chico Mendez.
    Chico Mendez was an Environmental activist who fought to stop the burning and logging Of the Amazon Rainforest. He was murdered in 1988 by ranchers opposed to his activism.
    Mendez, like other activists, understood the importance of the rainforest and the green and fought to preserve it.

Amazon Rainforest is also known as The "Green Lung" of the Earth, since it represent over half of the planet's remaining rainforests and comprises the largest and most species-rich tract of tropical rainforest in the world.

Unfortunately, many people fail to understand its importance and, in 1960, deforestation started.
    Since 1970 we have lost around 20% of the forest = 700 Km2 (More than six times the size of Portugal).

This happened because industries were searching for fertile fields for crops cultivation and for economy reason (a deforested area usually is valued 5-10 times more than forested land).

The consequences of deforestation are various: not only there will be less plants and green areas (plants "absorbs" CO2 from air for photosyntheses = less CO2 in air = less pollution), but also deforestation threatens many species of animals like tree frogs and other insect which risks extinction.

That's why if we can do something, we should do it, not only for save the forest, but for save the Earth!

If you want to help, I can share what I know...i may be wrong (I probably am) but I pledge to my species (human!) as an excuse to have a chance to be wrong! ^^

Energy savings, as annoying as it may be hold the truth to what global warming means. It would help TONS if all companies used environmental-friendly waste usage. When going to the supermarket, buy a cloth or one of those woven bags to carry your stuff around, not to use plastic bags in excess that are already helping pollution. using less energy, and water what's necessary as well.
    legal battles are what win the rainforest parts, some countries have preserved many of their natural rainforests but eventually they may give in to the greed and sell that. honestly i see that in the hands of those countries' own governments, some groups like greenpeace or whatever have their own word to say about this.
    I believe the best thing we can do to help the environment is inform ourselves and our friends about this, help them build a mind about it. So that eventually caring for our planet is actually something that you don't have to be ordered to, but something you do naturally.

What target says is true, rainforests are important.

You have never been to Oregon have you? I'll have to take pictures of all the trees up there since I am heading up there for my brothers wedding this weekend and staying over in Coos Bay for maybe a month.

But yeah I know some forest in parts of the world are being cut down and what not. But its their country/land they can do what they wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    ...its their country/land they can do what they wish.
    hasn't that mentality led us to where we are now?

EmeraldsAndLime

It's like we are summoning Captain Pollution without even knowing it!

I hate seeing this planet being destroyed - to pull an old quote out, "It's the only one we've got". I'm not the most environmentally friendly person, but I do take into consideration the effect I have. We don't have to think big to cleanup the world, it really is the small things that make a difference. Instead of littering, just hold onto the rubbish until you find a bin, recycle, don't waste fresh water, walk or ride a bicycle to work one day of the week or catch public transport, carpool, use environmentally friendly chemicals and biodegradable materials, turn off lights when not in use, etc... it really isn't hard to make these small changes and if everyone made one little change, it'd really make a world of difference.

As a quick fact-finder, you can find out how many world's we'd need if everyone lived like you.

At my current status, we'd need 3.1 worlds if everyone lived like I do! O_O

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    It's like we are summoning Captain Pollution without even knowing it!
    The power is yours.

You have never been to Oregon have you? I'll have to take pictures of all the trees up there since I am heading up there for my brothers wedding this weekend and staying over in Coos Bay for maybe a month.
    They have trees in Oregon? For a second I thought we were all gonna die from deforrestation, but as long as loggers don't know about Oregon...

But its their country/land they can do what they wish.
    Makes sense. Next time someone brings up the issue of genocide in Darfur I'm gonna punch em right in the face!

Out of sight, out of mind. Nevermind that trees are essential to the survival of much of the life on earth. Besides, I look out my window and I can count at least 4-5 trees. There's plenty to go around!

I guess there is only one thing to do.

Everybody on ADISC will band together to create an army, and we will rule the world in dictatorship, banning plastic and saving the rainforest!