Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canada Goes Conservative

Default Canada Goes Conservative

It's been five years of minority Conservative (centre) government here in Canada. Then they were found in contempt of parliament - something that's never happened in a commonwealth nation before. Basically, Harper lied to the Canadian people about how much some brand new fighter jets were going to cost, and the Liberals (centre-left) called him out on it. Parliament was dissolved, and an election was called.

About two weeks ago, the New Democrat Party (far-Left) gained a surge of popularity that hasn't been seen since 1986. Suddenly, NDP was more popular than Liberals, and they had a shot at becoming the opposition party. Yesterday was voting day, and many Liberals voted NDP instead. When the dust had settled, the Bloc Quebecois (Quebec separatist party) had imploded, NDP was more popular than Liberals, The Liberals party leader (Ignatieff) resigned, The Green Party (far-far left) historically gained a seat in parliament, and the Conservatives had a majority government (thanks to an archaic voting system we adopted from the UK parliament).

This year, Canada voted left, but Conservatives won. Harper has previously run on a platform of "re-opening the debate about gay marriage" and other unhealthy positions. Now that he has the majority government he;s always craved, we can say goodbye to things such as net neutrality, neutral foreign policy, transparent government; and say hello to things like mandatory minimum sentences on drug possession (many US states are trying to get rid of these currently because 1. they don't work 2. it's fucking expensive), USA-style private prisons (because more Canadians will be going to jail for longer times for non-violent crimes), and our VERY OWN DMCA (heavily criticized copyright act that the US has been pressuring us to adopt).

Admittedly, this isn't the end of the world. Sure, we'll have to deal with a majority COnservative government for 4-5 years, but I expect when 2016 rolls around, NDP will come on fast and they'll come on strong because Canadians will be sick so sick of the Conservatives and Harper.

Canada is a historically left-leaning country - this was a fluke.
    2016 - In mustache we trust.

That all said, I think it's important to remind everyone that the "us versus them" mentality is the cancer that is killing democracy. Don't support an NDP-Liberal coalition. Don't let us become the USA.

I always vote with the inefficient government in mind - that way change is gradual. That's a lie - I just turned 20. This was my first time voting in a federal election. Though I also voted in the Toronto mayoral election, but I didn't vote for Rob Ford or Doug Ford.

Anyway, see you in 4-5 years!

I never really like Harper and Conservatives.

I voted for NDP. Unfortunately, NDP didn't win but I am pleased to hear NDP finally get to be opposition government this time, rather than liberals. Better than nothing, I suppose... let hope NDP wins for next election!

I offer my Canadian friends my deepest condolences on this unmitigated disaster that is the Harper majority. It's bullshit that 60 percent of the electorate gets 46 percent of the representation.

And, you guys are in for a really really rough ride. Sadly, I've seen this story before, circa 2001-2005 when George W. Bush was president of the USA and we had Republican (our conservatives) control of both houses of Congress. We STILL haven't managed to undo much of the damage the Cons caused when they were driving the boat.

And that's what you guys are in for. Today is a dark day for Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually fairly happy with the turnout of the election.

Unfortunately, I'm very conflicted when it comes to politics. I work in an industry that PC heavily supports and the other two parties actively try to curtail or outright eliminate. But I am more aligned with NDP thinking in most other areas (although I don't like everything they stand for).

So while I'm glad PC got in and my job will be a bit more secure... I'm understandably nervous about what they'll do.

I am at the very least glad that _someone_ got a majority. Good or bad, at least we'll see _something_ get done now.

I was fairly shaken by the results yesterday. I was definitely not expecting a Conservative majority to come out of this election. This is a bit of a kick in the balls for me, but I'm sure I'll survive.

In any case, I can see this as being a win-win situation: If the conservatives end up doing a good job, then great. If the conservatives end up doing a terrible job, then at least I can say "I told you so."
    Last edited by BigBlueBear; 03-May-2011 at 23:40.

Not happy with the results. But dammit if this wasn't the most exciting election we've had in decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillhouse View Post
    we can say goodbye to things such as net neutrality,
    Before you even get that, canada might want to get rid of the insanely low bandwith caps low band with caps put up by companys. With net neutrality coming into law/effect companies will simply cap us.

I feel bad for those people in Canada who feel betrayed by the system (60% being represented by a minority is downright depressing and shouldn't be called democracy)

In a similar vein, I lost hope in the UK electorate today as I realised that many people will either not vote or vote No in the referendum that will take place on Thursday 5th May. This referendum could change our outdated and poor voting system to the less (but still) flawed AV system. I lose hope not BECAUSE they just no, but the REASONS they choose no.

1. For fallacious arguments proposed by propaganda from the No campaign.
    2. They dislike Nick Clegg (the Lib-dem party leader) who is the sub-leader in the coalition and who has been heavily criticised for "breaking promises" who put forward the idea of a change in the system (he actually didn't event want AV, but PR)
    3. They don't want change
    4. Their friend told them to for reason 1, 2 or 3.

It saddens me to think that my life will be determined by people who don't actually care about any of the issues at hand, and it is a scary thought that THIS is called democracy.

That really is the problem with democracy. Everyone gets a say.

This sounds great on paper, but in practice works fairly poorly.

And even more depressing is, in my opinion at least, it's still better than the other systems.

---------- Post added at 00:52 ---------- Previous post was at 00:50 ----------

To add on to my previous post, I'd say I actually don't have a problem with the whole "60% represented by a minority" thing.

It's kind of a "Screwed either way" situation. If you went purely on numbers, the largest provinces would get all the representation, whereas the rest of the country would get very little. As someone living in one of those provinces that would get screwed big time... I obviously prefer the current approach ;p

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    To add on to my previous post, I'd say I actually don't have a problem with the whole "60% represented by a minority" thing.

It's kind of a "Screwed either way" situation. If you went purely on numbers, the largest provinces would get all the representation, whereas the rest of the country would get very little. As someone living in one of those provinces that would get screwed big time... I obviously prefer the current approach ;p
    I do personally - I have a problem with someone being able to get over 50% of the seats with under 40% of the votes. Doesn't mean that proportional is the only way to fix this (AV or, heck, even a local run-off system would at least make sure that nobody wins a riding with 30% of the votes) but our political system is quite warped by the way our system is set-up. I mean, under a proportional scheme they would be 11 or 12 Green MPs - quite a difference, eh?