Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I?

Lightbulb Should I?

I figured this belonged here..? If not, I apologize.

I've been seeing a psychiatrist for depression and possibly bipolar disorder.. being diagnosed in a few weeks. Anywho. Her and I talk about everything and I was wondering if it was worth telling her about being a DL.

Has anyone ever told their therapist (if you see one)?

I don't go to therapy at all, but I would imagine that anything that you would tell them would help paint a better picture of who you are. That can only help them help you, and it's not like they are even allowed to tell anyone else. Like I said, I'm not in therapy, but I would tell 100%.

Hello New Jersey Resident
    I would definitely tell them about your Diapers. I have heard that some therapists try to fix that problem, where they think diapers are ruining you. But it really depends on your therapist. Is he or she caring? Or do they jump to conclusion and try to fix all your problems even if its not harming you. If I were you I would tell them. It could lead to solving your depression. When I'm depressed, which is 99.9 percent of the time, as soon as I get a diaper on I'm happy again. So its really up to you. I think it would be a good idea.

You absolutely should. I can tell you from personal experience that it is CRUCIAL that you do.

I have seen three councilors/therapists over the years and told them all. I am so glad I did. At first, it can be awkward. For some reason, I find it very difficult to simply say the word 'diaper'. However, once I got it out, from then on, I was able to refer to that other side of me as my 'other side.'

Being an AB/DL (the former pertaining to me) is a large part of our psyches. It has a great deal of influence over our feelings and actions. I know I never go a day without thinking about that part of me, even if it is merely a thought and no action comes of it. If your therapist is kept in the dark about this crucial part of your personality, they may not be able to impart the very insight you are looking for.

The reception I got from all three was a very clinical one. They see it as being a piece of the puzzle that when assembled makes 'us' (or rather 'me,' I suppose). You won't be mocked or ridiculed. If you are, and I have NEVER heard of this happening, report them because they should not be entrusted with hearing a patient's most intimate thoughts and feelings.

Don't be too shocked or thrown off if they give you a bit of a puzzled look, especially if you try to explain it in less than straightforward terms. The psychology behind the AB/DL world is still being developed and therapists simply don't run into it too often. They probably will be more than happy to talk about it since they will be learning, as well.

The bottom line is he/she should know this about you since it is, in a lot of ways, a form of personal therapy. I wouldn't go into any explicit terms (I trust you know what I mean), but the feelings you get from the experience, what the triggers are, and so on, are all vital and key to exploring the 'id'.

Best of luck and don't worry too much. This is their job and they got into it for a reason: they want to help. In addition, I'd be willing to wager that they have heard far more...ahem...interesting tales in their line of work. Feel free to let us know how it goes. We got your back and you have our support!

(For your reference, two of my therapists were female. Don't let gender stop you from being open.)
    Last edited by onecho; 03-May-2011 at 13:30. Reason: Fixed word usage

Quote Originally Posted by onecho View Post
    You absolutely should.
    100% agreed.

But what did you mean with the following sentence?

I can tell you from personal experience that it is DETRIMENTAL that you do.

I was implying that complete openness is detrimental to effective therapy: without it, progress will be extremely difficult. I guess it could be taken that I was meaning it in the sense that it's detrimental to your existence; this is not the case. I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

Yes you should tell. That is part of what therapy is for - and he or she will not judge you for it. In fact, the therapist will help you work with it. Freud described infantile sexuality in the late 1800's. They will not be surprised at all to hear about this...

You should totally do that!

I was implying that complete openness is detrimental to effective therapy: without it, progress will be extremely difficult.
    <insert picture of inigo montoya> I don't think that word means what you think it means

I have, and he didn't bat an eye. He just said, "ok, that's a fetish," and proceeded to eplain what I already pretty much knew about fetishes: that most people have one (or a few) of them. And that it's a fairly unusual one. He seemed to understand pretty quickly. I do think he saw it as a negative and he couldn't understand why I wouldn't want to quit. I told him I had been doing this for years and it never caused any serious problems as long as I "balanced" it with the rest of my life. "Behavioral disorder" is what he said it is, which could be changed if desired. He also gave me hope that if I went to a LOT of therapy, maybe I could get to the root cause of why I have these desires. However, I decided not to make a big issue of it and we took our sessions in other directions. Like I said I have no desire to quit and don't see the up side, other than maybe saving some money that I would have spent on diapers. Using 1 or 2 premium diapers a day costs about as much as a smoking habit! And yet, I don't like cloth, yes, I have tried it. But I digress and I forgot what we were talking about. So I'll go now.