Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alright, time to get serious.

Default Alright, time to get serious.

Ok, it's time I get much better habbits. Schools almost over, and my grades are just god awful. Ive known this but no matter what I do, I seriously can't do it. Im not lazy, I literally can't MAKE myself do have the work x.x

I look at it, and it's so repetitive...I feel so restrained and my mind wanders. I just cant bring myself to do it but I better learn soon, come Junior and Senior year im going to have to work double time so that I actually look somewhat impressive in an application.

If only school was all tests...ive never, EVER failed a test x.x always ace those.

I know the feeling, for me it's not that I'm lazy, it is that I have ZERO motivation in my life. I could care less where I am or what I am doing.

EXACTLY!!!
    Well..my only passion is Music and Writing, Programming and Scripting too but, it comes in third.
    Least im not alone

Asher

Hm, this totally reminds me of something!

...except you're not a Senior, so... Sophomoritis?

Dang, you sound just like me: writing and music all the way. Those two literally dominated my life last year (and to an *almost* unhealthy extent!). I can definitely say from personal experience that school gets better once sophomore year is over! Motivation is a tricky bastard; you just got to trick your mind into doing all that work! Best way of doing it is by rewarding yourself (every 50 minutes of studying, you can *insert cool reward here*). Once you got that part worked out, then everything works, and it's the bee's knees.

^

Okay, seriously, I'm still working on this one myself! I'm trying to write a paper on sociological research - FUN! And what am I doing right now? ...reading threads on ADISC.

Lol, thanks for the words of encouragement. Its too late for me to turn it around this year, luckily my schools policy is they have to pass you regardless, no matter what x)

Im going to try and keep a balance here. I can balance my, er, "personal hobby" and my writing/music well :3 throw school into that mix and hail naw o.o

I always find this funny. I prefer the school system here for this reason.

I basically slacked off for my first three years of high school (no homework, skipped half the projects), basically didn't do any work outside the classroom that I didn't absolutely need to pass. In my final year I worked sort of hard, then just redid two weeks of summer school for English and applied myself, then did an extra semester of courses where I did all the work. Because you only need to give in 6 grade twelve credits for university, all my 50-70s in grades 9-11 were completely ignored, and basically only my 90s and mid-to-high 80s were looked at. I got into a pretty good school, if I do say so myself.

For my final year + summer + extra semester I just told myself "it's this extra 'x' number of hours now, or an extra 'y' number of days working a job I hate in the future for poor pay", where 'x' is a number usually less than 5 (though not always), and 'y' was a ridiculous number that made the hours seem insignificant. That was enough to motivate me. XD

Sounds like you need to find something you are passionate about and figure out how to make money out of it. You have to be realistic imo (you might love music or art or such.. but perusing as your only chance of success is a sure path to life as a waiter).

For me it was software.. did it as a hobby all through school (my own projects, then contributed to some open source stuff) .. did "ok" through school.. now doing great in the "real world".

You quickly learn that 90% of what you learn in school has no application in reality. Just treat it as having the paper and start clean from here.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentWhisper View Post
    Ok, it's time I get much better habbits. Schools almost over, and my grades are just god awful. Ive known this but no matter what I do, I seriously can't do it. Im not lazy, I literally can't MAKE myself do have the work x.x

I look at it, and it's so repetitive...I feel so restrained and my mind wanders. I just cant bring myself to do it but I better learn soon, come Junior and Senior year im going to have to work double time so that I actually look somewhat impressive in an application.

If only school was all tests...ive never, EVER failed a test x.x always ace those.
    I think you and I share similar views about school. Personally, I think school is mindless, useless, and nothing but a routine. I have been told many times that I can't learn what I want to learn (like when I paid for this advanced cooking program and all I cooked was granola. Or. When I was told I can't learn about quantum physics because I couldn't take regular physics... I went to a library)

My point is, everything of use I have leanerd, I've learned on my own.

My grades suck because I choose to not out forth the effort (it's my choice, don't flame mentor making bad decisions, I'm aware of the consequences)

Try and find something stimulating so you won't feel so restrained :3

Quote Originally Posted by Asher View Post
    Hm, this totally reminds me of something!

...except you're not a Senior, so... Sophomoritis?

Dang, you sound just like me: writing and music all the way. Those two literally dominated my life last year (and to an *almost* unhealthy extent!). I can definitely say from personal experience that school gets better once sophomore year is over! Motivation is a tricky bastard; you just got to trick your mind into doing all that work! Best way of doing it is by rewarding yourself (every 50 minutes of studying, you can *insert cool reward here*). Once you got that part worked out, then everything works, and it's the bee's knees.

^

Okay, seriously, I'm still working on this one myself! I'm trying to write a paper on sociological research - FUN! And what am I doing right now? ...reading threads on ADISC.
    LOL exactly what i have now, not even funny, i have the time to do the work i just dnt care AT ALL.

Lol, well im trying a bit harder. I just have to suffer through it, I guess :p