Thread: Any tips on how to find a job?

Default Any tips on how to find a job?

I've been looking for a job for close to a year (not heavily mind you) Just applying online with those online things for bestbuy and all the other major companies. At this moment and time I'm looking like I"ll need a job to pay for some things. So I'm thinking of desperate measures, Like considering lying a bit on my resume and omiiting some facts just making myself look more appealing and on top of that going to the manager of the store and seeing if he can give me the job personally. None of this online BS. So any tips?

apply in person whenever possible, it shows that you are actually interested enough to take time out of your day and show up in person. for the resume don't add things that you didn't actually do it will come back to bite you in the butt later on. as far as omitting things thats up to you. if you find its not relevant to the job or that its negatively going to impact the job then omit it. also make a separate resume for every job you apply to not just a general Cookie cutter one, its one of those things that shows you took the extra time and are serious about the job.

depending on the job make sure you show up in the appropriate dress for the job like suit for business stuff, casual but nice for mid range stuff and good work wear if its a heavy manual job like gardening and mechanical/welding. even if you don't get the job make sure to still be polite and well mannered as they may still recommend you for a similar position within the company so you don't want to burn any bridges. whatever you pursue for a job I wish you good luck.

It sounds like woofcub is really good at this. There was an article in the Reader's Digest two months ago on resumes and interviewing for jobs. You might be able to find the magazine in the library. Woofcub is right in that they said to tailor your resume to fit the job. Don't make it longer than three pages and don't use small font or more than one color. They tend to laugh at the colors and won't read the small print. Be direct and succinct. Definitely omit things which are not flattering or are mistakes from the past. No one needs to know.

Be pleasant and polite but don't hesitate to sell yourself. Remember that you are competing against others. Try to make as acceptable an appearance as possible, hair cut, shaved, and presentable.

The first big job I got was as the organist in the largest Methodist church in the state of Ohio. Their organist was supposed to play a wedding but had forgotten and was out of town. They asked me if I could play it. Even though I didn't have my wedding music with me I said yes. I have always been one of those musicians who could fake almost anything. They offered me the job that day. Sometimes, and often in fact, it's all about timing.

Well I work in HR at a local Sears.

First I will say is in todays world if you go into the store and ask directily. Its a great idea and puts you in a spotlight, BUT they will point you right to the website. That's most companies policy and you cant get around it. Because if that test says no then even if they love you to death. Corporate wont let them hire you.

However. After you apply. Go into the store and ask to talk to the HR lead or a manager. Ask them if they recieved your application. It shows your intrested in a job and then get a quick face to face with you. Also sometimes online applications screw up and your in the Global Application pool and not the store pool you applied at so it makes them double check for your name.
    =====

As for your resume... NEVER lie. That will destroy you in the end and can damage future jobs. As for omitting things, thats fine some stuff is ok to omit. But if its a specific question and you say no or it didnt happen. That wont look good on you either.

Also as woof said. dress appropriate. dressy but still casual. A nice pair of khaki pants and a polo shirt, tucked in. Will give off a nice impression.

====

and finally another thing. don't OVER qualify yourself. I cant count how many ppl that got passed over for jobs at my work because they were over qualified. Make yourself look good for the job your applying for and nothing else. Then after you get the job you can show more of your skill to try impress the higher ups to advance in your job.

If you have any questions you wanna bounce off me let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuei View Post
    Well I work in HR at a local Sears.

First I will say is in todays world if you go into the store and ask directily. Its a great idea and puts you in a spotlight, BUT they will point you right to the website. That's most companies policy and you cant get around it. Because if that test says no then even if they love you to death. Corporate wont let them hire you.

However. After you apply. Go into the store and ask to talk to the HR lead or a manager. Ask them if they recieved your application. It shows your intrested in a job and then get a quick face to face with you. Also sometimes online applications screw up and your in the Global Application pool and not the store pool you applied at so it makes them double check for your name.
    =====

As for your resume... NEVER lie. That will destroy you in the end and can damage future jobs. As for omitting things, thats fine some stuff is ok to omit. But if its a specific question and you say no or it didnt happen. That wont look good on you either.

Also as woof said. dress appropriate. dressy but still casual. A nice pair of khaki pants and a polo shirt, tucked in. Will give off a nice impression.

====

and finally another thing. don't OVER qualify yourself. I cant count how many ppl that got passed over for jobs at my work because they were over qualified. Make yourself look good for the job your applying for and nothing else. Then after you get the job you can show more of your skill to try impress the higher ups to advance in your job.

If you have any questions you wanna bounce off me let me know.
    Well I'm going to apply to job at bestbuy and what not.... mostly geek squad and stuff.... But I just don't know who to talk to? The manager or what.....

Quote Originally Posted by dragsnick View Post
    Well I'm going to apply to job at bestbuy and what not.... mostly geek squad and stuff.... But I just don't know who to talk to? The manager or what.....
    Well when you go in first ask. If there is anyone from Human Resources working. Cause they normally take care of hiring. if no one is there. then ask for a manager. I would try to get the Operations Manager(they are pretty much the 2nd in command of the Store) or just ask for a normal manager.

I make pretty good money on Craigslist o.o in 3 days i got $200

although i posted my resume p there and I'm getting spammed hard core >.<

"would you like to be my personal assistant?"
    me: "in what"
    "helping people learn how to manage their money!!!1!"
    me -look of disapproval- "my ad says "looking for and entry level position in the Culinary Industry!""

it's a double-edged sword XD

1) Buy the book "60 seconds & you're hired!"
    2) Network: family, ministers, teachers, former this and former that. The best people to network with are those who you enjoyed to do something with in the past: at school, at soccer, at church, at wherever. Because those folks are most likely those that enjoyed doing something with you and are therefore most likely to help you.
    3) Get certificates: e.g. translator, Linux systems administration, graphic design, fork lift conductor etc. Employers want to see that you are someone who gets things done and learns quickly.

Good luck!

Dragsnick, I would recommend making yourself stick out in the manager's mind. After meeting with him or her, you should consider following up by periodically dropping off resumes. Everything else that has been said is good advice. Make sure your resume is polished and if you don't have work experience demonstrate skills or abilities that you have on paper instead. Example Lets say that you were on a team and helped lead your team. Or you used to run a lemonade stand and learned how to deal with customers. Make sure that your confident and polite to whoever you talk to in the company, but be persistent.

~Ned~