Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cover songs better than the original

Default Cover songs better than the original

Is anyone else a fan of a really great cover song? Got any good examples of covers that are just plain better then the song they cover? I thought of this when I was listening to Dead Hearts by Alexisonfire. Never heard the orginal before, but it was kinda meh. The Alexisonfire version is rad though.

The obvious one for me is Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah, I like Leonard Cohen's original version and especially one of the verses in his version, but to me it still doesn't compare to Jeff Buckley's version. Another good one is Softcell's Tainted Love, not that I have heard the original, but that version is great when drunk

Wow I love cover songs.. And actually I know of an amazing cover artist named Boyce Avenue... Look them up if you find time.. I'm sure you won't be disappointed

John Coltrane
    YouTube - John Coltrane My Favorite Things - 1961

Oh, and this: Children of Bodom - Oops I Did It Again. Best crossover song ever, even though I don't like Children of Bodom (a pretty heavy band).
    Last edited by whitefox; 27-Apr-2011 at 23:28.

I'd have to name Annie Lennox's version of No More I Love You's and Kate Bush's rendition of Rocket Man.

Cradle of Filth's version of Temptation was actually very good as well, and I expected it to be crap since they're a metal band.

Sent from my GT-I9000B using Tapatalk

Those and Hallelujah (already mentioned) are the only covers that I prefer over the original.

Jimi Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower" is marginally better than Bob Dylan's original, which is quite an accomplishment considering most artists butcher Mr. Dylan's work

Shout 2000. cover of Shout from Tears For Fears.

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes do some really great covers. Punk versions of tons of classics. The soundtrack to not Not Another Teen Movie is alot of updated 80s tunes too. Very good stuff!