Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy isn't it?

Default Crazy isn't it?

So if you haven't heard there were some teenagers fighting at the National Zoo in D.C.. Someone was stabbed during the fight.. At the zoo?! Really guys? On African American Family Day!

Now i am black. But I am not an activist or anything like that. However I do think that this is a bad representation of African Americans(AA). Maybe I'm overreacting.. I'm really frustrated with the way AA's are behaving. Its sad isn't it? For Hundreds of years they fight for the future generations (us) to have a better life and this is how they act? And the fact that it was in the zoo makes it worse.

What do you guys think?

I think it's a bad representation of people in general, not just black people. Who the hell stabs somebody at a ZOO on family day of all places and of all times?!

If they were white, asian, hispanic, middle eastern, etc, I'd still be facepalming just as hard. It's just my opinion that race has nothing to do with the crime committed. Hell, I think it's horrible the way most teenagers act regardless of their skin colour, though I will admit that a lot of young black people don't realize just how thankful they should be for their ancestors' bravery and willingness to fight for freedom.

AA == African American
    AA == Alcoholics Anonymous

This amuses me greatly.

More on topic, why is there an African American Family Day in the first place?

Better question, if a white person from South Africa moves to America, are they still African American? Why can't we just say black anymore?

Honestly, a guy stabbed another guy at a zoo. It's pretty stupid, regardless of the melanin.

According to the US Census Bureau, the black population in 2009 was nearly 40 million (12.9%). I don't think it is reasonable to feel as if the actions of the nutters in the ABDL community speak for me, so I don't think you can let yourself feel that other individuals in a much larger group speak for you. I get the concern but I think all you can do is try to be the best person you can be and encourage others to do likewise.
    Last edited by Trevor; 27-Apr-2011 at 02:48. Reason: Off by a factor of ten. Have to watch my math!

Quote Originally Posted by Zephy View Post
    AA == African American
    AA == Alcoholics Anonymous

This amuses me greatly.

More on topic, why is there an African American Family Day in the first place?

Better question, if a white person from South Africa moves to America, are they still African American? Why can't we just say black anymore?

Honestly, a guy stabbed another guy at a zoo. It's pretty stupid, regardless of the melanin.
    It's just ironic how this happens on African American family day.

I work in a small inner city school, and many of our kids are black. They come from all different kinds of backgrounds. Some come from middle class families, and some from abject poverty. Poverty and lack of opportunity is the key, and this affects all races. Those who come from homes where their are either two parents, or one parent who is educated, emphasizes moral standards, spends time with their children and shows love rather than violence, usually become healthy and well adjusted members of society.

Those children who have absentee parents, parents who don't parent, mothers who used harmful substances while pregnant, let the television raise their children, or worse, the street, usually fail as participating, healthy members of society. Here lies the frustration not only with more educated African Americans, but all of us who want better for these children. I don't know how we end the cycle of poverty and failure, but I must parrot Obama and say that it starts with hope. To have hope, you have to have jobs that will hire average people and pay a respectable wage encouraging students to try harder, so that there is a reward waiting for them after graduation. If there is only the "street", why try in school!

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I work in a small inner city school, and many of our kids are black. They come from all different kinds of backgrounds. Some come from middle class families, and some from abject poverty. Poverty and lack of opportunity is the key, and this affects all races. Those who come from homes where their are either two parents, or one parent who is educated, emphasizes moral standards, spends time with their children and shows love rather than violence, usually become healthy and well adjusted members of society.

Those children who have absentee parents, parents who don't parent, mothers who used harmful substances while pregnant, let the television raise their children, or worse, the street, usually fail as participating, healthy members of society. Here lies the frustration not only with more educated African Americans, but all of us who want better for these children. I don't know how we end the cycle of poverty and failure, but I must parrot Obama and say that it starts with hope. To have hope, you have to have jobs that will hire average people and pay a respectable wage encouraging students to try harder, so that there is a reward waiting for them after graduation. If there is only the "street", why try in school!
    This is true and I see it in my school. I find it easy to point out the kids who don't have an involved parent in their lives and are raised by the streets. They are the ones that come to school and do nothing but hang out in the hallways all day and cause trouble.

Can they really say that school isn't for them when they don't try?

Why does the race of the human being matter?

Regardless, it was still a person stabbing another person. That's bad enough as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephy View Post
    Better question, if a white person from South Africa moves to America, are they still African American?
    No. XYZ-American refers to what your heritage is. If the white person from South Africa has familial roots that go back thousands of years in South Africa (or otherwise-Africa), then he'd be African American. However, it's much more likely that he's actually a German or Dutch transplant. So he'd properly be German-American or Dutch-American.

Immigration and emigration on a global scale didn't really exist until the colonization of the New World and the industrial revolution- certainly not on the scale they exist today. So to fill in the first part of XYZ-American, you look at what part of the world a person's family came from, say, 500+ years ago.

Do note that I'm not referring to the mass migration of people that spread humanity through the world. I'm talking about a person being born in one society (North America, Eastern/Western Europe, etc) and moving permanently to another.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    No. XYZ-American refers to what your heritage is. If the white person from South Africa has familial roots that go back thousands of years in South Africa (or otherwise-Africa), then he'd be African American. However, it's much more likely that he's actually a German or Dutch transplant. So he'd properly be German-American or Dutch-American.
    Well, logically, if you're going to call people from African decent African Americans and people of Asian descent Asian Americans, shouldn't you call people of German or Dutch decent European Americans? And really, shouldn't Middle Eastern immigrants also be Asian Americans, since they also come from Asia (well, the ones that aren't from Africa anyway)? That's what has always bothered me with that nomenclature, it seems to only apply to people that have roots in Asia (and even there, really just eastern Asia) and Africa. It's especially strange since Africa and Asia have as, if not more, varied ethnic groups than Europe does. A Spaniard and a Russian might be different, but so are an Egyptian and a Zulu or a Persian and a Japanese.

Anyway, this is getting a little off topic. To the OP: it's indeed unfortunate that this kind of crime does happen, and there is indeed sad irony in the date. However, I sincerely believe that people are able to see that this is the action of individuals, nothing more.