Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Playstation Network Hacked

Default Playstation Network Hacked

The Playstation Network Has been hacked. And has been taken offline because of the attack.

Update on PlayStation Network and Qriocity – PlayStation Blog

Its insane what people will do to get a hold of peoples personal info

GoodJams1

Yes it's unfortunate, but it's crazy how some people care only about playing their PS3 online. It's like they're saying "Who cares if something is going screwy as long as I can play online."

Some suspected that Hactivist group Anonymous was responsible.
    HA! HAA HAHAHA! Funny. I thought people stopped calling people that.

Someone needs to open the window, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodJams1 View Post
    Yes it's unfortunate, but it's crazy how some people care only about playing their PS3 online. It's like they're saying "Who cares if something is going screwy as long as I can play online."
    Yeah, the exact same thought occurred to me. Some people are way too concerned with the flashy features that distract them while they are being screwed. It's like that in the world of politics, and it is like that with the PSN being down right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blanch View Post
    HA! HAA HAHAHA! Funny. I thought people stopped calling people that.

Someone needs to open the window, I think.
    The entire idea perpetuated by the media that there's some organized group of internet terrorists named "anonymous" (or something like that, at any rate) is utterly bogus. It seems that they have this unfounded belief that 4chan is somehow a unified group of tech-savvy people, when in actuality people capable of pulling things like this off are a minuscule minority, and they don't act in an organized fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyAB View Post
    The entire idea perpetuated by the media that there's some organized group of internet terrorists named "anonymous" (or something like that, at any rate) is utterly bogus. It seems that they have this unfounded belief that 4chan is somehow a unified group of tech-savvy people, when in actuality people capable of pulling things like this off are a minuscule minority, and they don't act in an organized fashion.
    Actually, they do organize themselves. Ever heard of a DDoS attack? It's when a bunch of people, like thousands, go onto a website at one time, overloading the servers and shutting it down. While most of that is from computers that were hacked by Anonymous, multiple people have to work together for something like that.

On topic, people probably don't care if PSN is screwy because, well, it started during Spring Break (when gaming nerds spend the entire week playing it), Portal 2 came out recently, and PS3 users want to try out the new co-op mode, or people didn't realize it was hacked. I didn't know it was hacked until about 3 days later.

i smiled when i heard this on the news. Just wondering why it is taking them this long to fix it, 2 weeks :S it seems like they are probably having way more issues then what they are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Megamatt View Post
    Actually, they do organize themselves. Ever heard of a DDoS attack? It's when a bunch of people, like thousands, go onto a website at one time, overloading the servers and shutting it down. While most of that is from computers that were hacked by Anonymous, multiple people have to work together for something like that.
    DDOS'n is hardly a hack, it's just pinging a target many times. The "attacks" anon usually does is funded by script kiddy's who have no idea what they are doing.

Its insane what people will do to get a hold of peoples personal info
    Dunno if I'd call it insane .. identity theft is a huge and lucrative business.. and the amount of info they've gathered (names, addresses, username/password, and even answers to security questions and possibly credit card numbers though there has been no evidence of this) and the sheer scale of it (70 million) means a lot of money for someone.. assuming that's the aim.

What is insane is that this happened and that the discovery and response was so slow. They discovered a breach sometime around 19 .. and while they didn't know the extent of it, they should have notified all their customers. If you have a breach, you only get to not notify customers right away if you have the security infrastructure and team in place to determine that data was not compromised. If you don't know the extent and have to go to the extreme of bringing in someone from the outside.. you damn well should be notifying your customers so they can take appropriate action to protect themselves just in case. In addition to the pile of shit they are going to get over the breach, I suspect they will get even more for not notifying people promptly.