Thread: Dexter

Default Dexter

If no one has ever watched this show, your really missing out! For those that do watch the show, by now you know that you probably relate yourself to Dexter in a lot of ways.

The show is about a psychopathic man who has an irresistible urge to kill. Growing up, he has learned, with the gracious help of his loving father, not only how to kill people and get away with it, but his father has also taught him the arts of blending in with society in as normal a fashion as possible. Your probably asking, "how the hell do people relate themselves to this guy?", just sit tight and listen.

The show appears to be a series of murder mysteries at first glance, but dive deeper into the show and you realize that the show is actually about the psychological developments Dexter makes as he grows and experiences "new" and "exciting" events in his unusual, "normal" lifestyle. The writers of the show has portrayed Dexter as an outcast from the rest of society, never being able to completely show his true identity without the risk of complete abandonment. As the show goes on, however, Dexter finds new and innovating ways to blend in his public and private identity to form a manageable mix.

Now, for anyone feeling rather alone out there, or wondering how you are going to cope with society in how you truly feel, this show is for you. I myself have learned a thing or two as far as concepts go for blending in my "diapered life" with my public life.

Dexter has become almost like a friend -no, a mentor- to me. When I watch, I feel like we are in the same learning experience together and whatever happens we will overcome... that is, at least, until we can't overcome it .

In conclusion, the show is much more than a series of murder mysteries - even though the murder mysteries are interesting themselves. Definitely an addictive show and (as a slight warning) make sure you have time on your hands to watch several shows in a row, because its one of those shows you can't just watch one of.

I found the first few seasons were good.. but like most shows based around an interesting notion, they devolved into the familiar pseudo-soap opera stuff once the original plot line dried up.

It's a lot like House... once you'd explored the "insane misanthropic genius doctor" thing.. what else is there?

Welcome to catching up?

I find most people were bored with Dexter after suffering through season 3. I admit season 3 nearly threw me off to because it didn't have that same formula that made season 1 and 2 really shine. So my suggestion is to skip that season entirely. The real highlight overall for me was season 4 because the main bad guy in that series is PERFECT for it.

I love this show but Breaking Bad murders the hell out of it. Pun intended.

I loved season three. I really enjoyed Miguel as a counter-balance. I tend to love it when a show goes outside of its formulaic comfort zone and tries different things, even when they either don't succeed or make a show jump the shark.

Case in point, I also loved Johnny Lee Miller as the bad guy in Season 5 -- I thought he was just as effective an adversary as Trinity. Looking forward to what they'll do with Season 6!

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    http://www.adisc.org/forum/off-topic...eason-5-a.html

(I think there's more topics as well. As well as a adisc club somewhere.)
    Yes, I saw that, but I wanted to avoid that since it had one-click access to spoilers and even out-in-the-open spoilers that kinda disappointed me once I laid eyes upon it, so I just started a new one where I would bring up Dexter's personality traits and how they could relate to the large portion of this community that can easily relate to him.

To me Dexter should of ended with season 2, and also of ended with the 2nd book. Season 3 totally blew chunks since honestly Dexter shouldn't have ever gotten married especially with stupid step children, which are only used to further a horrible plot.

I agree on season three. Rita drove me crazy! However, season four was a magnificent rebound. John Lithgow did an exceptional job.

Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    I found the first few seasons were good.. but like most shows based around an interesting notion, they devolved into the familiar pseudo-soap opera stuff once the original plot line dried up.

It's a lot like House... once you'd explored the "insane misanthropic genius doctor" thing.. what else is there?
    I'm with you. An exceptional show can, at best, last five or six seasons. Exceptional shows can also rebound from a weak season (Dexter, season 4; House, also season 4). The only real exception I can think of is the Simpsons; they had an amazing run from seasons 3 through 11. However, I think it's time to show even them the door.

I'm replying without reading the whole thread, because I've got a lot of catching up to do - just starting Season 2 via Netflix. My son turned me on to it.

So far, outstanding. I certainly see a lot of myself in it. Essentially a self-sufficient loner who has to fake social skills and personal relationships to get along in the world. A lot of the things people do seem strange to me, and now and then I completely miss situations where I should express certain emotions or behaviours.

I guess what I take away from it is that everyone is that way to some degree. Getting along with the rest of the human flock and figuring out how to respond is always a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    To me Dexter should of ended with season 2, and also of ended with the 2nd book. Season 3 totally blew chunks since honestly Dexter shouldn't have ever gotten married especially with stupid step children, which are only used to further a horrible plot.

Third book was absolutely dreadful, but I liked the fourth book better than the first book. (Second book is my favourite, though).