Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wearing at therapy

Default Wearing at therapy

I recently got to a point in my therapy where we (my therapist and I) were trying to find a better understanding of the feelings I get from wearing diapers or dressing up. I have come to accept my need for others to acknowledge my wearing diapers and genderbending clothing and my need for others to show an interest in them. But since most of the situations in which others see and know that I am wearing are with people I am not close to (gyms and airports), I just don't have enough opportunity to explore what it feels like when someone does acknowledge and show interest.

Long story short, my therapist suggested that I wear my things when coming to therapy. The idea is that I could then explore the feelings that come up when I share my wearing with someone who knows me pretty well.

On the one hand this sounds very logical and even liberating. On the other hand it seems inappropriate.

Thoughts?

PS: I have made the decision to go to a support group for men in the "other" category, i.e. whose sexuality and/or identity doesn't fit into the broad categories of straight, bi, gay or trans. It starts next week. Yeah.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Though I find it very amusing that you talk as if being transgendered is a sexuality that's mutually exclusive with being straight, gay or bi..! Sorry pedant mode is on today...

Quote Originally Posted by tinyfish View Post

Though I find it very amusing that you talk as if being transgendered is a sexuality that's mutually exclusive with being straight, gay or bi..! Sorry pedant mode is on today...
    I can't really see where you are going with this.. But I see nothing amusing, I personally do not see transgender as a sexuality but as for ppl classifying it that way could very well be because most gay rights activist groups, for example HRC(human rights campaign) fight for not only gay rights, but rights for the entire LGBT(lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) community as a whole...

Quote Originally Posted by tinyfish View Post

Being trans does, however, have an impact on the 'label' given to your sexuality. Someone who's trans and 'in the closet' might be gay to most people, but 'straight' inside (if they were the correct gender).

Quote Originally Posted by DLBoi90 View Post
    I can't really see where you are going with this.. But I see nothing amusing, I personally do not see transgender as a sexuality but as for ppl classifying it that way could very well be because most gay rights activist groups, for example HRC(human rights campaign) fight for not only gay rights, but rights for the entire LGBT(lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) community as a whole...
    This is kind of true, but there are certain 'factions' that want different things, even within the 'support' community. In short, it's kind of like some organisations speak for LGBT people, but then there are other (smaller) organisations that represent just trans people. The latter thinks that the former do not represent trans people very well, but the issue is that the groups that lobby and such for LGBT people as a whole are much more influential.
    Trans people usually just get lumped together because it's easier. I mean, even within the category of 'transgender' you've got a broad spectrum of individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by CharliePup View Post
    Being trans does, however, have an impact on the 'label' given to your sexuality. Someone who's trans and 'in the closet' might be gay to most people, but 'straight' inside (if they were the correct gender).
    That's true. :3 It's very confusing if you don't look at sex, gender, sexuality, and personality as separate entities. But that's all a bit off-topic. My apologies, I just have a little soapbox about this kind of thing. >.>

As for the OP, congratulations on admitting what I would think you perceive as your shortcomings - things that you'd like to work on. And for taking steps to actually work on them.
    I suppose one thing to consider would be how comfortable you are with your therapist. From what you've described, it sounds like a good relationship (from a professional standpoint, not personal). Could you elaborate on why you would find it inappropriate? It would be helpful to at least do that with yourself, and then compare that to the possible benefits of dressing up for a session.

If you trust your therapist and keep in mind the boundaries of such a relationship, I think it could prove very helpful. I've seen amazing things come from therapy, when you find the right person, and also really terrible things when you just don't gel with them.

Quote Originally Posted by whitefox View Post
    Could you elaborate on why you would find it inappropriate? It would be helpful to at least do that with yourself, and then compare that to the possible benefits of dressing up for a session.
    Sure thing, Whitefox. Here goes.

For me dressing (diapers, clothes, objects...) always has two aspects for me: a sexual comforting aspect, and a self-caring/comforting aspect. Both are always present, although one is always more important than the other. E.g. sometimes it's 99% comforting and 1% sexual, etc.

When I share my dressing with someone I have to make sure that I am comfortable with the situation on a number of levels. Trust? Fear of ridicule? etc. And I have to check with myself if I am not bringing in the sexual aspect of my dressing beyond what's acceptable for the situation.

For example, I think it's ok to talk about sex with my T, but it's not ok to engage in sexual activity with my T.

I hope this clarifies.

AmbezeSubHealth

What's wrong with getting into the dress for therapy? Provided you don't get pull over or worse pulled over and for some reason padded down you should be fine I would think. Although i think you are paying your therapist at least 50$ too much. I'd advise you seek the council of a kind caring psychic. I find them much more knowledgeable, honest, and caring even though I highly doubt their psychic abilities.
    Last edited by AmbezeSubHealth; 29-Apr-2011 at 08:19.

Back in the day when I sought out therapy for my desire to wear diapers, my therapist suggested I keep a diary of each time I felt like wearing a diaper, I was asked to write down my feelings / mood befor wanting to put on a diaper and how I felt after putting on the diaper. I did this for 30 days and turned in my diary at our next session.

After reading my diaper diary the therapist asked me if I was wearing a diaper at the present time, I answered yes as I was indeed wearing a diaper. The therapist asked how I was feeling and I replied happy and content and relaxed.

The therapist asked if I realy enjoyed wetting and messing in my diapers and how I felt afterwards.
    I told her I did enjoy wetting and messing in my diapers and felt whole after doing so.

Than things got a bit creapy, she asked to see the diaper I was wearing and asked me to remove my pants, I was not sure what to make of this as I was only 21 at the time and this was the only therapist I had ever seen.
    I knew from going to the medical doctors that removeing my pants was part of a phyiscal but was confused as to why a therapist would want to see me in a diaper. I now know it was to better understand what I was going through.

Well I was a bit hasentant to remove my pants and exspose my diaper to her, but after some reasurring that no one else would see the diaper but her, I removed my pants and exsposed my diaper. Back than I could still fit into the largest size Pampers on the market useing 2 of them taped together to make them long enough to fit.
    I remember her saying they looked small and tight fitting, they where, but I did not know of adult diapers at the time. I found out that day, the therapist told me about them and suggested I try them as they would fit me better.

Our sessions lasted normaly a hour to an hour and a half and this day was a long one and the therapist must have noticed I was fideting a bit as I needed to go use the toliet and empty my bladder, as she said something like, it apeers that you need to go to the restroom or would you rather use your diaper.
    I was a bit set back by this and did not know what to think and in my confused state of mind I chose to use the diaper and wet myself right than and there without much thought. Thankfully the diapers held it all in.

So be very carefull what you do or say at your therapist sessions as it can get very embarassing.

We continued with sessions for another six months befor I foolishly brought it to a stop by showing up for a session wearing a slitely messy diaper. Big mistake on my part.

Disregarding that most likely false (and definitely out of place) story from the person above me...

I've been to "therapy" (I'm not sure I like that term) before. Not specifically for my interesting AB/DL, though that did come up over the course of our time. My counselor didn't ask me many questions about the diapers, but focused more on my overall emotional state.

I, unfortunately, was unable to continue the sessions there. Had we had the time, we would have discussed the diapers more. Personally, I think your counselor (or therapist, if you prefer) has a good idea. From a purely scientific standpoint (and psychology is a science), s/he would need to document your emotional and mental state while wearing and while not wearing.

But, I would say only do it if you're comfortable with it. Going to therapy with a sense of nervous anxiety usually doesn't help matters.

Calefacient

That above story is not the least bit false.

When I first sought out therapy for my delima of wanting to wear diapers and knowing that it was not normal I looked for help.

My therapist I had did not know a whole lot about AB/Dl or even infantlisim, I had to copy down the web address of the only site I knew of back than and that was DPF.
    After the therapist found the site and investagated the subject she had a better understanding as to what she was dealing with and what I was in such termoil over.
    I do however regret going in for the session while wearing the slitely messy diaper, and I do mean slitely, as I only squeezed out no more than 3 jelly beans worth into my diaper. Enought though to create that give away smell.

The reason behind posting that story here was to give the OP some insite as to what not to do when visiting a therapist, even if the reason you are seeing the therapist is about your un-natral desires to wear a diaper and wet and or mess in them.