Thread: Password Managers

Kip

Default Password Managers

I was flipping threw my $200(Crazy, eh?) Intro to Computers textbook and happened to stop on a page that mentioned password managers and that they can store your username and password and you could put the program on a thumb drive. So, I was wondering if anybody could recommend a good password manager that I could put on a 1 gigabyte thumb drive. I have so many different usernames and passwords and it's hard to remember all of them. I downloaded a password manager called Password Safe, but I can't really seem to get it to work.

It depends on your OS. But you could try KWallet if there is a version for your OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I was flipping threw my $200(Crazy, eh?) Intro to Computers textbook and happened to stop on a page that mentioned password managers and that they can store your username and password and you could put the program on a thumb drive. So, I was wondering if anybody could recommend a good password manager that I could put on a 1 gigabyte thumb drive. I have so many different usernames and passwords and it's hard to remember all of them. I downloaded a password manager called Password Safe, but I can't really seem to get it to work.

Through*...You could always use Firefox...It can remember your passwords when you type them in...

Passwords are only safe in one place. Your head.
    Having it stored in a file will mean access to all especially for hackers.

Usually the idea is the stored passwords are encrypted with a key derived from a master password. You enter your master password and then it gives you access to all your other passwords.

I've got a Mac, - Gotta love Mac's, and all my passwords are stored in the system - with 'Keychain Access', the password manager of OSX. But, when doing this I found it best to create a separate 'Keychain' for your passwords that you want kept secret with a different password to your login one so that if someone does break in, they can't hack your bank or anything like that.

=D.

Kip

Quote Originally Posted by chevre View Post
    It depends on your OS. But you could try KWallet if there is a version for your OS.
    I'm running Windows XP on my desktop at home and my laptop and the computers at school are running Vista, if that matters.

I am sure there is a pasword manager on portable apps. Here it is:
    KeePass Password Safe Portable | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB drives

hopefully that will do what you have asked. I have not used it myslef, however it should serve your needs!

Kip

Quote Originally Posted by UnMarth View Post
    I am sure there is a pasword manager on portable apps. Here it is:
    KeePass Password Safe Portable | PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB drives

hopefully that will do what you have asked. I have not used it myslef, however it should serve your needs!
    Thanks for the help.