Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did girls start wearing pink? - Interesting article

Default When did girls start wearing pink? - Interesting article

I saw this article recently and given the amount of members here that are TG, Sissy etc, I figured a lot of users would find this interesting.

It talks about how pink as a girl's colour wasn't really established until the early 20th century, and how dresses used to be gender neutral for babies (as they made changing easier).

Dresses used to be gender neutral for adults too, if you go back far enough, as I mentioned in another thread. Clothing has been gender specific for a long time but like now with different pants for men and women it's was more an aspect of styling and cut than what type of clothing it was. And if you go back far enough there wasn't any difference.

May have started way back in the day, but the Power Ranger made these rules law.

Quote Originally Posted by Slang View Post
    May have started way back in the day, but the Power Ranger made these rules law.
    The 1950s and their rigid social structures happened way way way before Power Rangers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    The 1950s and their rigid social structures happened way way way before Power Rangers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's just what the government wants you to think man. Never drink tap water.

Okay so I read that article way back when I first responded and then went to edit my post and adisc timed out on me. I haven't really been able to get adisc.org to load for me since. Anyway all seems good now. That is indeed a very interesting article. If you think about it pink being for boys makes way more sense than blue. Red is a very aggressive color and is often seen as very masculine. Just look at how many military uniforms in the era pre-camoflauge where red. So it's a no brainer to make the pastel version of red the "boy's color". I never really thought of it that way but I'm totally on-board with that idea now. I've always been a big fan of pink, going back to when I was a kid. It was the 80s so hot pink, boy or girl, was easy to come by in clothing.

I think I had a button down pink shirt when I was in high school. I was pretty well liked so I could get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by banter View Post
    Dresses used to be gender neutral for adults too, if you go back far enough, as I mentioned in another thread. Clothing has been gender specific for a long time but like now with different pants for men and women it's was more an aspect of styling and cut than what type of clothing it was. And if you go back far enough there wasn't any difference.
    I am not so sure I agree with you on adult clothing ever being gender neutral.
    Thinking back through historical fashion in my mind I see gender differences in clothing right back to classical Greece and Egypt.
    The closest I can think of is early middle ages where the male style for the wealthy was the long gown. But the hemline for men quickly rises, a women's dress basically was ankle length until the 20th century. (with a few exceptions)