Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i need help installing xp on my laptop

Default i need help installing xp on my laptop

So i know how to do this normally but my laptop came with vista and when i try to instal XP i get a message saying i have no hard drive. and after googleing this i found out this will always happen when you try to put xp on this laptop because of a driver problem (the sata driver not being there). And after more googleing i found out i can either buy a usb floppy drive and use it to install the driver needed or use nlite to modify my xp disc and put it in the disc but when i try using nlite to modify the xp disc, the xp sata driver i downloaded wont show up so i cant modify the xp program.

O, and i have a acer extensa 4620

Check in your laptop's BIOS to see if you have an option to set the drive controller to IDE mode - then you won't need a driver disk. Alternatively, it is possible to configure a USB flash drive so that it can be read like a USB floppy - google online.

Quote Originally Posted by Akastus View Post
    Check in your laptop's BIOS to see if you have an option to set the drive controller to IDE mode - then you won't need a driver disk. Alternatively, it is possible to configure a USB flash drive so that it can be read like a USB floppy - google online.
    nope no option in the bios, ill check out the usb thing tho thank ya ^^

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

lol that failed, i thought it worked because i got it to install windows...... except it installed windows on my usb drive that i had plugged in not my comp......

Why do you want to install a 10 year old operating system on your machine? Are you having any issues in Vista that would warrant this? Vista by all means is a very good OS, if you have common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by timmahtherebel View Post
    Why do you want to install a 10 year old operating system on your machine? Are you having any issues in Vista that would warrant this? Vista by all means is a very good OS, if you have common sense.
    Newer is not always better. I work at a Fortune 100 company, and our entire company still runs Windows XP.

Also, Vista was a flaming sack of shit that should never have seen the light of day. Windows 7 is good, but honestly, I've felt no reason to move from XP on my personal laptop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newer is not always better. I work at a Fortune 100 company, and our entire company still runs Windows XP.
    The reason for that is internal software is nearly never made with forwards compatibility in mind. At a fortune 100 company there is going to be significant volume of crappy in house apps that won't work on anything beyond XP. There is also the expense required in upgrading large numbers of computers, especially if the IT department does not want to work with two OSes at once.

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    Also, Vista was a flaming sack of shit that should never have seen the light of day. Windows 7 is good, but honestly, I've felt no reason to move from XP on my personal laptop.
    Give me some quantifiable flaws in Vista that weren't present in XP then? Other than those caused by people installing on woefully inadequate computers, or companies botching drivers at release (most of which have now been fixed). Neither of these affect new computers, so they are not a reason to downgrade.

I have had to deal with the xp OS on a few computers working in the IT field and the issue you are having does have a couple of workarounds. the first and most simple is the bios change for the hard disk, it might be listed under disk mode or hard drive type, you will want to set that to be IDE or compatible mode and try the installer then. if you don't have that option download the proper hard disk driver and either put it on the CD when you burn it in the root of the disk and in the drivers folder, if not put it on a thumb drive thats blank (make sure to extract the driver if its compressed) and make sure that the usb drive is in before you post the laptop. when the install gets to the part where it wants to know where to install there should be an option to install drivers. once you locate the drivers a new drive should pop up select that new drive and not the thumb drive thats plugged in.

On rare occasions that none of the above worked I have had luck with removing the hard drive and hooking it to an external usb adapter, wiping the drive and partitions and then installing the OS on the drive when its plugged in externally (this takes a while to do as USB is slower then sata). If you still have issue installing xp you might want to try windows 7. if you are still having trouble pm me and I can try to help you over pm or the sites live chat.

Good luck

just out of curiosity, why would you want to install a 32 bit edition of an OS which is pretty much outdated and done for, yet retained for Legacy Compatability ?

it might be a better plan to just obtain either legally or trough lesser legitimate sources;

a copy of windows 7 SP1, x86-64 edition

it might be more convenient instead of trying something which wont work out of pure hardware incompatability with modern products

also : whats so wrong with vista, that you found it neccesary to break your install? (and prolly also wiping your recovery partition)

How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI - MSFN Forum
    this will allow you to "burn" windows xp to a usb stick so you can install from there rather than using cd after cd.
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...?DwnldID=19599
    here's the latest Intel chip driver you'll need to pre-install (or 'slipstream') into your windows xp cd iso

i figured it 2 days ago i just forgot to post lol also i wanted xp because i like it better thats all.