Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People's opinions on music?

Default People's opinions on music?

Today, Mys sister told me (on my first offense, by the way) to "turn that terrible music down!" Yes, she yelled at me. I didn't even know that my music was loud to begin with. No warning, like "can you please turn your music down?" or a "Your music is a little loud, would you mind turning it down?"

Then, she had to add insult to injury buy just calling it terrible music. IMHO, No music is terrible; someone out there has to like it, so, therefore, it can't really be terrible if someone likes it.

In fact, I wanted to tell her this: "Huh? I don't hear any terrible music. Maybe it's just you."

So, anyway, my question to you guys is as follows: Has anyone hated on your music before? If so, how did you deal with it?

I know I'm kinda PO'd at what my sister did. I'm not even listening to some song about drugs, or sex, or shooting people, or even cheating, for that matter.

Being a metal fan, I'll have to say: fuck yeah, I've dealt with a shitload of stupid fucking ignorant cunts who say shit like "Metal is nothing but banging and screaming and shitty guitar playing with no melody whatsoever" and "Heavy Metal is for fat ugly losers who live in trailer parks". I mean, yeah, there are some shitty bands out there that truly are nothing but noise (and intend to be), but people put down everything in the metal genre including its listeners, and feel that it's perfectly fine to insult anyone associated with anything metal. It really pisses me the fuck off.

To all of those fucking shitheads who say that all metal is nothing but noise: go and have a fucking listen to some Sonata Artica, Kiuas, Scar Symmetry, Dream Theater, Nightwish, and Opeth, and just try to tell me that it's just a bunch of useless banging and screaming with no melody. Just fucking try...
    Last edited by IantheFox; 17-Apr-2011 at 02:43.

wind2

um not in a bad way but most of the people likes stuff that i just don't like corridos, nigga, etc but in my case its rock, pop and instrumental(many from anime for the meaning of the lyrics).

the thing that many say's its why i heard then and giving my opinion for like it their somekind accept it(but compares me with stuff that i cannot be for try to makes me feel mad about it).

Been at college in a music program for two years, which I figure gives me an educated opinion now. I like metal. Yelling, screaming, growling, shredding, riffs, double-kicking the junk out of your kit. All just marvelous stuff. I like other stuff too though, and I can at least appreciate stuff where talent is involved, even if I don't really wanna listen to it. Generally the only way I'm gonna trash some music is it shamelessly conforms to trend and is hopelessly uncreative (not just auto-tune pop schlock, goes for heavy bands too when all they can come up with is break downs ahoy). Also, lyrics gotta be saying something, or at least interesting. Could be about anything, I don't care, just say something fresh, or say it in an interesting way. These modern rock post-gruge radio cookie-cutter acts and insecure one-hit wonder pop and rap stars are just annoying and shallow. Again, there's some of that in every genre, but thankfully most everything but the Kerrang-trend heavy bands at least bring some solid talent to the table. Usually find is astounding how people are so willing to just check out the bands their radios, tvs and itunes tell them to like, and how they just accept the latest fad. What's worse is them trying to call it good music. So much garbage out there. Shark producers just shovelving it down the throats of the docile masses who are more than willing to pay up to sustain a machine that devours art for the sake of a quick buck. If I took my box of crayolas and scribbled a smiley face on a picture, covered it in glitter and took it to an art show they'd throw me out the front door. So how can we so readily accept daddy's little girl getting a store-bought career, heading off to the studio to hide her suck in copious amounts of auto-tune and over-productiion to make a couple of singles the shove on our i-pods? People can be really silly sometimes, actually paying money for the public clown-molestation of one of the most beautiful things mankind is capable of creating. Not just the pop princesses, fake gangsters or Disney childbots either. Eddie Vedar is not a genre. Michael Jackson is not a genre. Metallica is not a genre. The heroes that each of these puppets revere all became legends by doing some new and exciting (for a largish part, at least), and yet they dish out mindless, three-minute-thirty-second verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus junk and people have the nerve to call it music. Screw that. I hate that. Your American record and Concert industries are circling the drain and as glad as am I see the vultures starving in the crumbling system, it's really heartbreaking to know that real talent is easier to find in a bar, making south of 50 bucks a gig, then showing the whole world the gift they have to offer.

RANTIFIED

Quote Originally Posted by Slang View Post
    it's really heartbreaking to know that real talent is easier to find in a bar, making south of 50 bucks a gig, then showing the whole world the gift they have to offer.
    Which would be why I, at 37 (closing rapidly on 38), gave up on trying to give the "world" a gift they didn't want, started up several cover acts where I could make more money giving them something resembling what they wanted (but I still enjoyed playing).

It's sad, though, for folks who get stuck in places where original material, no matter how good/bad, is received poorly by the audience, primarily because the audience is only concerned with familiarity...

Quote Originally Posted by WBDaddy View Post
    Which would be why I, at 37 (closing rapidly on 38), gave up on trying to give the "world" a gift they didn't want, started up several cover acts where I could make more money giving them something resembling what they wanted (but I still enjoyed playing).

It's sad, though, for folks who get stuck in places where original material, no matter how good/bad, is received poorly by the audience, primarily because the audience is only concerned with familiarity...
    SELL-OUT! Nah, just kidding. If you can make a living playing whatever, it's nice. Even bad music is better than most other jobs. Played in a Latin pop-Brazilian-Cuban Disco group all year and most of the music was so lame, but playing shows is like, the gnarliest thing ever. Not sure that counts though, cause we didn't make much cash and I'm not sure anybody really liked it...

Saw another show recently, mostly by folks I'm at school with. Ten bands or so, most of them sort of blues rock, indie stuff with jazz influence. Not so much pop, and they're all super talented, but nobody was really reinventing the wheel either, ya know? Don't always have to either, as long as you got something to make yourself stand apart in some way, and they kinda had that down. Anyways, every group was entertaining, but then these three guys go up - vocalist, guitarist and a drummer. They improv a single song for their set, ambient and heavy, while the guy goes off about love and war and whatever else before getting vicious and bashing open his own head with a mic. Most everyone hated it, some girls threw up at the sight of his bloody head wound, and he got in trouble for messing up a school owned-mic. Thought that stuff was the best show all night though. They were doing something different. Musically, it wasn't technically excellent, there wasn't great song writing or composition or anything, but it didn't matter. These guys were crossing boundaries and chellenging standards. The end product was ugly and raw, but that's art. They created something and it was a lost more honest than "love song with drum loop 47". There's no money in that though, and they'll probably never be able to really focus all there energry on something like that.

Sometimes people get lucky and folks are into them changing things. Tool and NIN are two or my favourites in that regard, but grunge, alternative, punk, rap, hip-hop, trash, metal in general - that's all stuff that started by somebody trying something new, and usually because they were sick of the status quo. Eventually it all gets commercialized (except maybe grindcore). That's totally lame, but at least at some point a couple of people created something, and being able to experience that, no matter the venue you see it in or the format you here it in or the longevity of the act that created it, it's a beautiful, fantastic thing. There has been a temple built around making cheap replicas of these revolutions, watering them down and recreating them as cheaply as possible to make as much money as possible. There's no music there. There's no honesty. Just forged, corporate plastic trash. Some people are into that, and I can't really respect that at all.

So to the OP, if I came into the room and you were blasting the flavour of the week garbage, I wouldn't be so into. Might not start yelling at you, cause hey, you're not really hurting anyone just listening to your tunes and you're certainly entitled to your own opinions on things. Plus you don't need me snapping at you being all negative and stuff. But if you ask me what I think, I'm gonna tell you. People tell me metal sucks all the time, and I get it's not for everyone. I used to hate it too. I just appreciate what I figure is good, acknowledge talent and honest creation where I see it and try and ignore the static, stock suck that's getting blasted through everyone else's headphones.

As someone who listens to just about everything there is to listen to, people hate on my music and love my music all the time. Generally the same people have both reactions.

Of course, when I say "hate on", it's normally some metal head going on about how I'm listening to "pop crap" and can't handle "brutal" music (whatever the f that means... I listen to songs about murder from various genres... I don't know how increasing the tempo and adding growling makes it "brutal"). The irony being I listen to a lot of the same bands they do; that's just not what I'm listening to at that particular moment in time.

Everyone else has just calls my music "really weird" if it falls outside of their comfort zone. That and "I didn't know that was the kind of music you listened to" as if you fall into some subset of music you enjoy.

I don't really worry about such things other than the random mild annoyance. (I really can't stand people calling music "brutal" or "intimidating". It makes me want to roll my eyes and gag at the same time.) I do enjoy making playlists/CDs for people and sneaking in some music that's a bit out of their box though

Quote Originally Posted by Slang View Post
    ...and most of the music was so lame, but playing shows is like, the gnarliest thing ever.
    Yep, once you get a taste of the stage, you get hooked on it, and you discover that it's pretty damned fun to play anything at all up there, even music you hate (although there are limits to that axiom).

A good chunk of my friends only listened to hip hop, now while I don't like lil wayne or wiz kalifa or those kinds of artists much I deal with listening to them. But god forbid I put on some Say Anything. They always complain and make fun of it, so what do I do? crank up it even louder.