Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone here been diagnosed or suspect they may have or had SPD?

Default Has anyone here been diagnosed or suspect they may have or had SPD?

Sensory processing disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I sure did when I was a kid. I could not have a shirt with a tag attached to it & could never wear wool anything. The trip to the barber was a nightmare for me & the hours after of the itching from the hair clippings down my shirt would just drive me up a wall.
    I am just wondering if SPD works in the opposite where you could not get enough? I remember having this blanket that has a satin edging along the top that I had to rub between my fingers so I could fall asleep. Now that I am older I am not so sensitive to tags & ill-fitting clothing anymore, although ties still feel like a noose to me XD, but I still have that need for the feeling of soft comforting items to hold on to so I can sleep at night. So yeah I have my favorite teddy close by every night.
    My other thought is dose SPD have something to do with diaper wearing as well? I know I feel more comfortable when I have mine on. Soft, warm, & the feel of the plastic puts me into overload & into a overall good mood.
    I do believe there are many other issues as to why I like this & love acting like a kid. I am just wondering if this as well as other issues are a factor & if anyone else has possibly linked this to AB/DL as well.

Although I have autism, and sensory issues often go along with that, I must say that I've never had sensory problems. I could wear any kind of clothing, was okay with the barber (though it annoyed me a little), and hated the dentist--but everyone does.

SPD is usually worse than annoyed by tags and hair. that just means you have less skin between your nerves (think princess and pea) SPD is characterized by screaming and almost pain when something feels bad, or alternatively an extreme lack of sensation

I've got something going on here, usually have to wear socks, because the carpet can be too much. Can't touch velvet, and a few other quirks. Talk to the user Spadden, he knows a lot about SPD.

Having Aspergers, I was diagnosed with SPD quite a while ago. Like Babyemo said, it is WAY beyond just being annoyed at tags and such. There are some nights I just lay awake in bed because the fly on the wall is keeping me awake or I hear the buzzing noise the DVR makes sometimes. Also, I cannot take a hot shower, it has to be FREEZING just for me to be able to tolerate it. And lastly, i can't look at flashing lights or neon signs because they hurt my eyes to a point I want to rip them out from my very sockets. Its horrible.

Sensory Processing Disorder is a spectrum in of itself. The main layer, Modulation, has hypersensitivity, under responsive, and seeking. And while some people may be severely affected- some people may be just a bit more annoyed by sensations than others. The child who hates tags and seams in their clothes just may be over responsive to light touch- a tactile issue. Or the child could never get enough swinging or spinning around in circles. More more more. The same could go for any of our 8 (yes, eight!) senses.

Myself, I suspect both ASD and SPD in myself. I've talked with several people about this, and so far they've all agreed. I'm very over responsive to things such as bright lights and sounds, both high pitched and just too many all at once. I'm also extremely sensitive to tactile things. Right now I feel a piece of dirt rubbing against my leg and it feels like sandpaper scraping at my leg. If moving away doesn't help, I have to end up getting up and rubbing my leg until it stops burning, and of course brushing away the dirt.

On the other hand, I'm also extremely seeking when it comes to physical input (proprioceptive and vestibular), which means I crave to be squeezed in tight spots, have weights on me, crash into things, etc. I can't ever really get enough, my arms and legs especially are always aching for more and more. I sometimes feel like I'm floating on air if I'm not getting enough input, and it's actually pretty scary to not feel your feet below you like that.

I've also got my fair share of motor clumsiness, speech issues, and the social issues, stims + obsessive interests that run alongside of ASD. Once medical insurance comes in, I'm going in to see a psychologist... May they be surprised with the vast amount of knowledge I've collected over the months.

*Cracks knuckles*

You hath caught the attention of ADISC's resident SPD dude.

I have been diagnosed with SPD, and have received treatment for a few years now. I am too tired to write a lot right now, but I will briefly cover my thoughts on this for now.

I really want to thank you for making this post. If you ever have any questions about SPD, please ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Sensory processing disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I sure did when I was a kid. I could not have a shirt with a tag attached to it & could never wear wool anything. The trip to the barber was a nightmare for me & the hours after of the itching from the hair clippings down my shirt would just drive me up a wall.
    Tactile Defensiveness my friend. I'm glad I never really had to wear wool anything, but I had all the issues aforementioned.

I am just wondering if SPD works in the opposite where you could not get enough?
    Of course! Sensory Seeking. Or, if you aren't noticing sensation or are under arroused, then it is Sensory Under-Responsiveness, or disregarding.

I remember having this blanket that has a satin edging along the top that I had to rub between my fingers so I could fall asleep.
    Yes, that is true for a lot of SPD kids, to have an issue of this nature. For me, it was the sheets or messing with my hair. I would also chew on stuff a lot, which would also calm me.

Now that I am older I am not so sensitive to tags & ill-fitting clothing anymore, although ties still feel like a noose to me XD, but I still have that need for the feeling of soft comforting items to hold on to so I can sleep at night. So yeah I have my favorite teddy close by every night.
    As people with SPD get older, we naturally become better at learning to cope with the issues that we have. We know our boundaries, and we work around them through experience.

My other thought is dose SPD have something to do with diaper wearing as well? I know I feel more comfortable when I have mine on. Soft, warm, & the feel of the plastic puts me into overload & into a overall good mood.
    I do believe there are many other issues as to why I like this & love acting like a kid. I am just wondering if this as well as other issues are a factor & if anyone else has possibly linked this to AB/DL as well.
    Yes, I have linked a potential correlation.
    https://www.adisc.org/forum/content/...er-loving.html
    I wrote that article on the topic last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Crinklebottom View Post
    Although I have autism, and sensory issues often go along with that, I must say that I've never had sensory problems. I could wear any kind of clothing, was okay with the barber (though it annoyed me a little), and hated the dentist--but everyone does.
    Just an FYI that the sensory issues in autism actually are sensory problems, aka SPD. Those few symptoms are not the only symptoms to SPD. There are hundreds of symptoms, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by babyemo View Post
    SPD is usually worse than annoyed by tags and hair. that just means you have less skin between your nerves (think princess and pea) SPD is characterized by screaming and almost pain when something feels bad, or alternatively an extreme lack of sensation
    You are right that it's usually worse than a slight annoyance at times, but not all of this statement is completely accurate. What is most important is how these sensory issues effect a person in their daily life. The more effect they have on your daily life and the decisions you make, the more likely you have SPD.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderhair View Post
    I've got something going on here, usually have to wear socks, because the carpet can be too much. Can't touch velvet, and a few other quirks. Talk to the user Spadden, he knows a lot about SPD.
    Me? SPD? Naw? Really?
    Hehe, thanks for the mention. I would write a lot more in response to this thread, but am very tired and stressed right now, and not in my best writing mood.

Quote Originally Posted by turtleie View Post
    Having Aspergers, I was diagnosed with SPD quite a while ago. Like Babyemo said, it is WAY beyond just being annoyed at tags and such. There are some nights I just lay awake in bed because the fly on the wall is keeping me awake or I hear the buzzing noise the DVR makes sometimes. Also, I cannot take a hot shower, it has to be FREEZING just for me to be able to tolerate it. And lastly, i can't look at flashing lights or neon signs because they hurt my eyes to a point I want to rip them out from my very sockets. Its horrible.
    Well said. *Hugs*

My wife and I were talking about this just a few days ago. I have to dress in comfortable clothes or I go absolutely crazy. I hate button down polyester shirts, and I absolutely cannot wear wool. I never could. When I dress for school I wear those soft knit shirts, and Docker type pants. I do wear a sports coat and white shirt on Sundays, but the white shirt is short sleeved. The idea of polyester long sleeves under my underarms makes me physically ill.

I have Aspergers so SPD comes with that. I have to sleep with a weighted blanket and the relief from it is amazing. I also have issues in the supermarket / McDonalds when there's too much "beeping".

Autism here, so of course that means SPD. I absolutely cannot stand the sound of certain things, like people brushing their teeth (I have no idea why, I just can't stand the sound it makes me feel...weird to be it simply) and the little thing can have me very annoyed, such as a single stuck pixel on an LCD monitor. There are probably many examples I can give but it's late and I can't think of much :P