Thread: College Graduate

Default College Graduate

I have a bachelors in Physics and will have my bachelors in Construction Management in May. I've been applying for jobs since January in Ohio. I applied maybe 18 companies all over the state. My last option is to move out of state due to family. I love them and I couldn't spend more than a month away from them. Any managers out there that can give me tips to tip the scale in my favor?

I was told that whoever is hiring likes to know that you are a human being and that you are capable of making mistakes. I read somewhere that during an interview if you spill coffee on your self or spill anything in that matter that the interviewer will feel a bit sorry for you and can connect with you (the whole thing about being a human being) and have a better chance of landing that job.

People hire other people to solve problems for them that they don't have the time, desire, or specific skill required to handle themselves. The problems may involve physical labor, technical skills, physical skills, social skills, or some combination of them all.

There are three steps to finding a job:

1. Finding an open position or opportunity that you have the skills to fill
    2. Getting yourself in front of the person or persons who can make the decision to hire you.
    3. Convincing that hiring entity that you are the person who can best perform that job with the least pain to them.

Job boards, etc, are the obvious way to find a position, but don't forget to use your network of family, friends, acquaintances, professional associations, alumni association. Let them know you are looking and give them an idea what you are looking for. Everybody you know has contacts, and your odds of coming across something increase exponentially when you have other people looking FOR you. Also, in this economy, once an opportunity hits the job boards, hiring managers are buried in inquiries and resumes. You have a much better chance of scoring an interview with a personal introduction BEFORE you become just one more piece of paper in the stack.

Once you've got an interview scheduled, research the crap out of the company, its business niche, its competitors, as well as the interviewer, if you have an actual name. The interviewer will try to figure out if and how quickly you can help him solve the problem that forced him into interviewing people in the first place. Envision how your potential position fits in, what issues you would have to handle, and how you might go about handling them. During an interview, knowledge about their business will show that a) you're really interested b) you're smart enough to know that you have to prep for interviews.

You may have to interview with an HR person before you get to the actual hiring manager. This person is going to be a little more generic. Google "50 interview questions" and run through that a couple times so you have the appropriate generic answers. Expressing any more than polite interest in salary and benefits at this point is a no-no.

In front of the hiring manager, the questions you ask are as important as the questions you answer. You need to find out his hot buttons, the reasons he needs to fill this position, so you can show him that you are the answer to his problem. Even if there are business-specific questions you can't answer, showing that you know how to find the answer quickly can be just as good. Nobody knows everything. Especially a recent graduate.

Spilling coffee on yourself? Bad idea. Not a deal-killer like diapers, purple mohawk and piercings, but a distraction. You have limited time in front of the decision maker, who has urgent issues piling up while he's wasting time with you. Anything that uses up that time without advancing your position is bad.

That's why standard, conservative dress and appearance are preferrable. Things that stand out aren't necessarily bad, and might be fine once you're working there, but you want them to remember you for your value proposition, not your mohawk.

Also remember that it's assumed that you know how to do the job. The real reason for an interview is to ascertain how well you will fit into the work group and the corporate culture. Part of that is ascertaining how your skills and experiences and perceptions will mesh with the rest of the group.

All that said, Maxx had some good advice. Research the company. ASK QUESTIONS! And try to put your best foot forward while being yourself. Like I said, they are trying to figure out how you fit into their operation and culture, so interact with them and show them who you are as a potential employee.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk