Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AT&T bandwith capping all residental DSL subscribes (including u-verse)

Default AT&T bandwith capping all residental DSL subscribes (including u-verse)

Now after AT&T is trying to buyout T-mobile USA they are going to take a giant shit on consumers again. This time with lovely bandwidth caps like Canadians, and Europeans get to deal with from their ISP's. (fucking lovely!!!)

DSL subs will be capped at 150 GB per month. 10 dollars for every 50GB after that.
    Uverse Subs will be capped at 250 GB per month. still 10 dollars for each 50GB after that.

These plans used to be unlimted by starting in early may it's gone. I HIGHLY suggest people look into other options perferably something with unlimited data. the internet is beyond important in today's time and society and is increasingly becoming more dominate for today's entertainment. Which AT&T is against since it offers cable now. This is why cable subscribers get 100+GB per month while still being subjected to the same DSL.

Fucking Bullshit!!

AT&T to Cap DSL Service? | John C. Dvorak | PCMag.com

I disliked at&T for it's cruddy treatment of consumers before. But now I am in full on HATE mode.

Butterfly Mage

Pay us for the service... But don't you DARE use it!

I fear we're going to be seeing this from all of the providers before too much longer. Too many right-wing whacks cried and hollered and sued, saying that the government was taking over the Internet, killing any chance at true net neutrality.

Better get your fix at the beginning of the month!

In the meantime, I might have to start provider shopping, since I'm a u-verse customer.

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    I fear we're going to be seeing this from all of the providers before too much longer. Too many right-wing whacks cried and hollered and sued, saying that the government was taking over the Internet, killing any chance at true net neutrality.

Better get your fix at the beginning of the month!

In the meantime, I might have to start provider shopping, since I'm a u-verse customer.
    I dont see it ever being a problem on the DSL service I use because its a rural service provider.

Bet most of you have never heard of them.

Fairpoint Communications

The average user will never hit those limits, heck I'm the heaviest user on the DSLAM that serves my area and I only push about 80 gigs on my worst months. In the case of U-Verse customers only their normal internet traffic is counted towards the cap, but they do get free access to some services as part of their plans that normal DSL customers don't. That is the reason they have the higher caps.

That being said, Dvorak is the last person I'd depend on for reliable reporting on anything AT&T related as he doesn't even try to hide his bias where they're concerned.

I'm not actually at home at the moment, but when I am I'll post the link to the actual information AT&T posted about the changes if someone else hasn't already done so by then.

Quote Originally Posted by oreocookie View Post
    The average user will never hit those limits, heck I'm the heaviest user on the DSLAM that serves my area and I only push about 80 gigs on my worst months. In the case of U-Verse customers only their normal internet traffic is counted towards the cap, but they do get free access to some services as part of their plans that normal DSL customers don't. That is the reason they have the higher caps.

That being said, Dvorak is the last person I'd depend on for reliable reporting on anything AT&T related as he doesn't even try to hide his bias where they're concerned.

I'm not actually at home at the moment, but when I am I'll post the link to the actual information AT&T posted about the changes if someone else hasn't already done so by then.
    That may be true now, but time, technology, and progress march onward. Once upon a time (sounding like Grandpa Simpson for a moment), 320x240 pictures delivered via a dial-up connection barely managing a 30kbps connection speed were so great, and a site designed for 800x600 resolution looked so squished and small, but so clean too.

Butterfly Mage

Watch for the cap to gradually be lowered and the surcharge gradually increased. That's how AT&T rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    That may be true now, but time, technology, and progress march onward. Once upon a time (sounding like Grandpa Simpson for a moment), 320x240 pictures delivered via a dial-up connection barely managing a 30kbps connection speed were so great, and a site designed for 800x600 resolution looked so squished and small, but so clean too.
    Yeah, and AT&T will probably have been broken up again for being morons again by the time it matters to the average person

That being said, I just realized I'm not even going to be affected by it for at least 15 months. I just need to remind their legal department that they can't modify the terms of my contract without paying a rather substantial penalty. Sadly there's an NDA involved that prevents me from actually saying why that is publicly

Butterfly Mage

The funny thing about the telecommunication/cable industry is that it works on the reverse of normal competition. When one company jacks up the rates, the other companies jack them up too. It's like a race to see who can screw over the customer for the most money while providing the least service.

Even Comcast is better than this, they cap it at 250, and if you go over, you are warned, not charged. This will completly compromise some people I know who do a LOT of torrents, mostly seeding, which I tell them to turn off. AT&T is just a greedy company wanting more and more money, which in my opinion is stupid, because it harms customers. If they want to make more money, then STOP THE FUCKING ADVERTISING. In my area, every other commercial is AT&T, I am completly SICK of it.