Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Abena X-Plus -- Recent (Poor) Quality??

Default Abena X-Plus -- Recent (Poor) Quality??

I just wanted to see if other people were having similar problems with their recently purchased Abena X-Pluses.

Several months ago, I bought a pack (that was labeled as being produced in Nov. 2007) of Abena X-Pluses and they were great. So I went ahead and ordered a case from XPMedical when those ran out. The ones I received (produced Mar. 2008) have some problems that were not present with my first pack.

First: after a few hours of use, the inner lining becomes separated from the outer plastic cover. This is a big problem because it allows the inner 'fluff' to just... fall out. Also, the elastic leg gathers and leak guards are affected by this; they just seem to lose their elasticity completely, making leaks around the leg a lot more likely.

Second: the padding seems a LOT more prone to 'falling apart' after only a few hours (usually 3-4) of wearing; this obviously seriously hampers the diaper's ability to wick moisture, limiting its usefulness. I am not any more active wearing these than I was with the previous pack. This could be related to the inner lining and cover separating, allowing the padding to move around more.

Please note that these diapers are not 'super-saturated' when this happens. They are barely at 1/4 of the capacity my previous pack was able to handle. I have started to wear baby oil with these diapers; perhaps that contributes to the liner and cover separating--let me know if anyone has had similar experiences. I'm going to discontinue using oil to see if that helps any...

If you got them from XPmedical, send them a letter about it. I heard they're really helpful when it comes to issues like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Babymullet Ver 6.4 View Post
    If you got them from XPmedical, send them a letter about it. I heard they're really helpful when it comes to issues like these.
    Yeah, that's what I'll end up doing; I was just wondering if others had had a similar experience. At first I thought I was just imagining it, but as each diaper in the pack started doing the same thing...

I ordered a case from XPmedical last month. So far I'm still on my first pack but I've noticed some similar problems. The "fluff" inside does seem to fall apart but for me that's only after wetting and that happened with the last pack of Abena's I had last year so that's nothing new. I haven't had any problems with the lining coming off though. What I have had problems with though, and this is new to me, is that a lot of the diapers in the first pack seem to have one tape that just wont stay stuck on (which is very odd for an X-plus considering that the diapers are infamous for their extremely sticky tapes). Its very annoying/problematic since it causes the diaper to really loosen up and sag which forces me to cover it up with something like a pull-up or bloomer. I'm hoping the problem is limited to just that one pack.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecto View Post
    What I have had problems with though, and this is new to me, is that a lot of the diapers in the first pack seem to have one tape that just wont stay stuck on (which is very odd for an X-plus considering that the diapers are infamous for their extremely sticky tapes). Its very annoying/problematic since it causes the diaper to really loosen up and sag which forces me to cover it up with something like a pull-up or bloomer. I'm hoping the problem is limited to just that one pack.
    I've honestly heard that X-Pluses are known for their *lack* of tapes that hold well... And that's been my experience also, with this case and with the one made in '07. Clear packing tape is useful to reinforce tapes. The stretchy 'Abri-fix' cotton pants also do the trick--sized perfectly for the diaper, too. Secure X-Pluses are sounding kinda good to me right now.

EmeraldsAndLime

Well, I got some very recently (just last week), and can say that I haven't noticed any problems with them that the OP has pointed out.

Darkfinn

I haven't ordered any Abris in a long time. My frustration with their tapes led me to other brands (mainly Secure) where tapes are not an issue. IMHO if a diaper is supposed to stand up to 6-8 hours of use the tapes better be the best out there.

Now as things go... occasionally you will get a bad pack, or worse a bad case. I've had it happen plenty of times before. Your best option is to first contact the retailer you bought them from and explain the problem. They may do something like issue a refund or give you credit towards your next order. If this does not work you can always contact the manufacturer directly.

I haven't had this specific issue. As for the tapes, I find that any kind of onesie or even the Abena Abri-Fix fitting pants are super for holding the diaper in place, and keeping the tapes from unsticking. They're really great and I'd highly recommend them.

If the finn is right about getting a bad case, you should try to send it back and get a refund or better yet another case.

I ordered those diapers 3 different times from XP Medical myself 2 bags and one case. Anyways I never really had any problems aside from two of them which tapes were cut wrong or something like that. Anyways I did not see any reason to complain since they worked great. I am sure I'll buy another case as soon as I am able to.