Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a friend

Cool I have a friend

Who is wanting to get a sex change to become a man. She has two boys, both of them still pretty young. She wanted to know some gender neutral names her kids could call her but without anyone else knowing what she's up to because she hasn't told everyone about it yet. I don't have any ideas, would any of you?

Sam or Alex, maybe? I know too many Sams of both genders, and it gets really confusing to tell them apart in conversation, so that's a plus, right? And Alex is a decent name.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukirr View Post
    Sam or Alex, maybe? I know too many Sams of both genders, and it gets really confusing to tell them apart in conversation, so that's a plus, right? And Alex is a decent name.
    It's funny that you say Sam because that's what she goes by already, lol. And I think she means like a parenty type name. Here's what she said:

"OK! I need suggestions on a gender neutral name for my kids to call me (or at least foreign so no one really knows why they use it..."

I even told her that they could just call her Sam but, I was wondering if there was anything else.

Bobby, I've seen both males and females with that name.

Really it depending on the age of kids, and whether or not she's already at the living as a man 24/7 prior to surgery stage.

If she's still presenting as female in a public (in other words, early in the transition stage) it's best if they continue to treat her normally while in public situations and around those who don't know yet. If they're old enough to understand what she's doing and why, they should be encouraged to use masculine words in private situations or the only people around are ones who know.

There really aren't any gender neutral things they could use, at least not that wouldn't draw more attention to the situation rather than less.

ETA: I should mention, I was in similar situation a few years ago (before I found out that the surgery was a non-option for me due to a health issue) and had looked into this because at the time I was taking care of nieces and nephew regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by oreocookie View Post
    Really it depending on the age of kids, and whether or not she's already at the living as a man 24/7 prior to surgery stage.

If she's still presenting as female in a public (in other words, early in the transition stage) it's best if they continue to treat her normally while in public situations and around those who don't know yet. If they're old enough to understand what she's doing and why, they should be encouraged to use masculine words in private situations or the only people around are ones who know.

There really aren't any gender neutral things they could use, at least not that wouldn't draw more attention to the situation rather than less.

ETA: I should mention, I was in similar situation a few years ago (before I found out that the surgery was a non-option for me due to a health issue) and had looked into this because at the time I was taking care of nieces and nephew regularly.
    Her kids are pretty young still so they have no idea what's going on. I thought that it'd be a good idea that her kids continue to call her mom until she's fully made the transition but I have no idea about this sort of thing. I'm sorry your health prevented you from getting surgery.

It's kind of your friend's call. I've spoken with people who have transitioned, and what their kids call them varies in each situation.

If the kids are very young--I'm talking pre-talking or just learning to talk--a gender-neutral, sorta-nonsensical nickname might work. You know the kind of names that kids give people and things before they're able to really pronounce things correctly? Something like that. Except, of course, it would probably be your friend creating the name, rather than the kids coming up with something.

I can throw out some examples I've heard: my aunt worked with pre-schoolers and the kids took to calling her 'Dee-dough'; her own grandson took to calling her 'Neens'; I called my great grandmother 'Who-Who'. My little cousin got stuck on the first two letters of my name for the longest time. Maybe something like Jay-Jay, or actually Say-Say (based off of the first letters of Sam) could work.

DrunknFox

Tyler, Jordan, Daniel/Danyelle, Morgan.
    I've met boys and girls with names like this.

Surprised I haven't seen Chris posted, I've known a ton of boys and girls going by that one, um... the only other that I can think of would be Terry. I'll edit if I remember any more, good hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Balto123 View Post
    Tyler, Jordan, Daniel/Danyelle, Morgan.
    I've met boys and girls with names like this.
    You've met a girl named Tyler?