Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Improve Vision?

Default How to Improve Vision?

The reason I'm putting this in the Mature section is because this topic is a bit dark. My doctor told me that it seems if nothing changes, I will become legally blind in my right eye sometime in the future. He never specified when, but that it will occur if my vision falls at the rate it's been at for the last couple years.

I knew my vision wasn't great, but I never thought it was this bad. So, does anyone know how I can improve vision or decrease the rate of bad vision?

I've put on a good front all day, but I'm starting to break down. So even some kind words would be nice.

Thanks guys.

Laser eye surgery? I mean, it's... What, 500-ish, to save your sight? For one eye, at least. You should look it up. Might be an option.
    I know what I'd do if faced between a lil more poverty and a little more blindness.

Oh my that's no good Hmmmm I agree with looking up laser eye treatment. Too bad it wasn't hearing since they can fix that nowadays but anywho I'm sorry I hope u find something to make it better

What's wrong with your eye? Laser eye surgery is a possible solution for a very specific problem. It's not a universal fix for all things eyesight related, sorry to say. Best thing you can do? Ask your doctor?

Depending on the condition, laser surgery can help, but as has been said, you should talk to your doctor about that. If you don't make a regular habit of eating carrots, you should consider it, not so much for improving your vision but with some conditions it can slow the damage down a little

Lasiks can provide a good solution. A friend is an ophthalmologist/surgeon, and his "future view" is that we could have a world without glasses at some point because of the capabilities of the surgery.

My wife had the surgery about 5 years ago and has been very happy with the results. She could never wear contacts because of the shape of her eyes, and had very bad vision, so had to wear a significant prescription. Her first reaction the day after the surgery was "Wow, so this is what the inside of the shower looks like!"

Laser surgery has as of late become affordable to many people, including me (will some day get it, when I finally strike out on my own). Less expensive but still effective ([very] long term) is to eat fresh (as in uncooked, prepared) vegetables such as carrot sticks and celery. Those contain vitamins that help to preserve your vision; and in the long run, can actually improve it somewhat. Obviously it is no replacement for lasik, but up until you get it (and even after), eating such vegetables will help you.

StrawberryRaven, I think it depends on what is causing your sight loss. If it is a serious disease (such as glaucoma), I don't think Lasik would be of much help. If it is the rapid progression of farsightedness/nearsightedness/astigmatism, laser eye surgery may be a solution once your sight loss stabilizes. It's really something you need to talk to your optometrist/ophthalmologist about.

I have very, very poor vision. It's genetic: a combination of nearsightedness and astigmatism passed on from my mother (we are now almost the same prescription). For a while, during puberty and into my late teens, my eyesight was declining at a truly scary rate. I would get a new pair of glasses and 6 months later would be squinting to see the blackboard again; I got used to sitting in the front row. However, my sight loss leveled off when I got into my 20's, to the point that my ophthalmologist said that I would now be an ideal candidate for Lasik. I haven't taken the plunge yet, but it's something in my future plans. Glasses can no longer get me to 20/20 vision, and it's only gonna get (slowly) worse. My grandmother also has nearsightedness/astigmatism and even with glasses, she was approaching legally blind (20/200). She made do with glasses until cataracts necessitated laser eye surgery and a lens replacement when she was in her late 80's. She has perfect distance vision and only needs reading glasses now.

Best wishes, and if your issue is indeed farsightedness/nearsightedness/astigmatism--well, it sucks, but there are definitely good options.

The only thing laser surgery does is reshapes the cornea by ablating tissue. This will correct only optical problems. If you have macular degeneration or cataracts, it's not going to do anything. Basically, if glasses could improve your vision, so can laser surgery; that's it. Oh and carrots, I'm sorry to say, also aren't going to do anything unless you have a vitamin A deficiency, which is very rare in industrialized countries.