Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I got my 3DS today!

Default I got my 3DS today!

Does anyone else have it? What do you think about it?

To me its great even though I don't have any games for it yet.

Your thoughts?

I'm waiting til the next version. Reason being, the battery life on the first 3DS is pretty short so I'm waiting till an improved version comes out.

It is pretty okay from what I have played with.
    The 3D technology can be a bit wonky. Still better than using annoying glasses.
    Over all, it is okay ;3
    Glad I got to try a friends.

unfortunately i don't have it yet, but i'm getting it before the new version anyway, as for the short battery life, this is with 3D in full effect, you get more with it off from what i hear

I'll get it when a few more good games come out. Maybe late this year or sometime next year. I'm not sure.

Currently for the next 3-6 months there aren't a lot of good games coming out for it.

SSF4 looks like a great game, but I generally don't like fighting gerne as do most gamers, it seems and when I do I perfer Tekken.
    Lego Starwars 3 proves 3D shoudn't be tacked on. 3D on this game is like, Wiimote Waggle controls.
    Pilotwings should of come with the system (IMHO)
    Nintendog's + cats, fine for little kids. But can't compare to real pets.
    Ridge Racer. Great looking racing title. But will be quickly replaced.
    Steel Diver.. well, just like pilot wings, it doesn't seem to be a "real" game.
    Ghost Recon... well, no thanks. Ubisoft can honestly burn in hell for DRM.
    asphalt 3DS. Yeah, why buy that when Ridge Racer is right there.

Well I think that's ALL of the launch titles. And this "Launch Window" as talked about by Reggie is 3 months, that's a full damn yearly quarter!

Resident evil looks good but... it's just the mercenaries mini game started from RE4, RE5. So it's not a plot driven game as far as I can tell.
    Then there's Shin Tegama blah: blah blah blah. A JRPG series that you love or hate (as with any JRPG these days.)

Hardware issues:

poor battery life, even when with 3D turned off.
    start, home, slect buttons are flimsy.
    case design looks like a sandwich when closed, corners are roughly rounded making it look ugly and pointy.
    Stylus moved back to a even more horrible spot then the "DS Phat".
    Friend code system still in place rather then gamertag/screen names. (Pedophiles aren't going to use this shit to pick kids. They will lure kids with the 3DS itself... DUH!!!)

Software:

no netflix until summer
    no web browser (yet)
    no youtube (yet)
    No 3D movies to rent/buy.

most of all. Nintendo din't even really advertise the 3DS system in the US at all! So, do they honestly really care about it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Currently for the next 3-6 months there aren't a lot of good games coming out for it.

SSF4 looks like a great game, but I generally don't like fighting gerne as do most gamers, it seems and when I do I perfer Tekken.
    Lego Starwars 3 proves 3D shoudn't be tacked on. 3D on this game is like, Wiimote Waggle controls.
    Pilotwings should of come with the system (IMHO)
    Nintendog's + cats, fine for little kids. But can't compare to real pets.
    Ridge Racer. Great looking racing title. But will be quickly replaced.
    Steel Diver.. well, just like pilot wings, it doesn't seem to be a "real" game.
    Ghost Recon... well, no thanks. Ubisoft can honestly burn in hell for DRM.
    asphalt 3DS. Yeah, why buy that when Ridge Racer is right there.

Well I think that's ALL of the launch titles. And this "Launch Window" as talked about by Reggie is 3 months, that's a full damn yearly quarter!

Resident evil looks good but... it's just the mercenaries mini game started from RE4, RE5. So it's not a plot driven game as far as I can tell.
    Then there's Shin Tegama blah: blah blah blah. A JRPG series that you love or hate (as with any JRPG these days.)

Hardware issues:

poor battery life, even when with 3D turned off.
    start, home, slect buttons are flimsy.
    case design looks like a sandwich when closed, corners are roughly rounded making it look ugly and pointy.
    Stylus moved back to a even more horrible spot then the "DS Phat".
    Friend code system still in place rather then gamertag/screen names. (Pedophiles aren't going to use this shit to pick kids. They will lure kids with the 3DS itself... DUH!!!)

Software:

no netflix until summer
    no web browser (yet)
    no youtube (yet)
    No 3D movies to rent/buy.

most of all. Nintendo din't even really advertise the 3DS system in the US at all! So, do they honestly really care about it yet?
    there's 2 Resident Evil games for 3DS, Mercenaries 3D and Revalations (the real Resident Evil game) looks pretty badass, as for battery life, yes, its bad, but you can play it while its plugged in :P

Quote Originally Posted by MokaAkashiya View Post
    there's 2 Resident Evil games for 3DS, Mercenaries 3D and Revalations (the real Resident Evil game) looks pretty badass, as for battery life, yes, its bad, but you can play it while its plugged in :P
    First off, there is no American date for Revalation's at all. As for playing it while it's plugged in you can't do that on planes, trains, bus, malls, restaurants. etc. Places where you would like to take/play a portable device.

For me, I will hold off for now. Its too early for me to get the device.
    For one, its expensive at $300 for a handheld gaming device. I mean, I would understand $200 but that's quite abit for a handheld gaming device.

For two its hardware and system quirks. The hardware, despite it being a major upgrade to the DS, is quite weak on modern mobile hardware scales. Its got a duel core GPU, but its only 200MHz Arm11 (though as mentioned, that's far better than the DSs two CPUs, of 67MHz and 33MHz), which the ARM Cortex A9 is FAR better of an architecture and most mobile CPUs are running at 1GHz these days. So this mean in both CPU and GPU, any modern Android device, modern iOS device (especially iPad 2, which the iPhone 5 and iPod Touch 5th gen will share the same hardware), etc are more powerful and PSP2 (aka "NGP") will be included in this. Though I have noticed that Nintendo has been getting VERY good at making good looking games out of weaker hardware, Mario Galaxy being a very good example. So hardware strengh is not always a factor considering the DS sells ALLOT better than the PSP in North America, but considering its a $300 gaming device and one that just came out its one thing to consider. I haven't had much experience with the 3DS to comment on the battery so I can't say to my tastes if its short or not. Also, I HATE Nintendo's "friend code" system as well, why not just have a username system and why do they have to do it in a game-per-game basis instead of a central system (there is central friend codes but that's only for sending messages and whatnot)? I find that annoying with the Wii already.

For three, not too many games or software of interest yet. Yes, I like Super Street Fighter 4 but I can just play that on Xbox 360 and the 3DS port reminds me of the iPhone version except with 3D character models and the side-vew 3D perspective (it still uses the 2D still backgrounds from the iPhone version which was scaled down so it can be played on ALL iOS devices, including the 3G/Original iPhone and older iPod Touches). Though Pilot Wings does look interesting. And I played out Ridge Racer a long time ago when I got a PSP at launch (I sold my PSP a very long time ago). The biggest game I am interested in on the system is the upgraded version of Ocarina of Time.

Forth is when I played it at the kiosk, the 3D seemed strange to me and worst off, it started to give me a headache. I know you can just turn the 3D off but its called the 3DS for a reason. Personally I am waiting for 3D to mature before buying into it because for now, it seems about as gimmicky as it was in the 80s.

Its a very good upgrade for the 3DS but its way too early for me to even consider picking one up. I would wait until there's more games, downloads, etc. available before getting it. I think allot are thinking the same thing (along with the price) because even a day or two after launch, there VERY readily available here. Plus, I have a issue that when I get portable gaming systems I play them like crazy at first but quickly afterwards they just sit around and collect dust ^^;.
    Last edited by DA360; 28-Mar-2011 at 21:39.

Quote Originally Posted by DA360 View Post
    For me, I will hold off for now. Its too early for me to get the device.
    For one, its expensive at $300 for a handheld gaming device. I mean, I would understand $200 but that's quite abit for a handheld gaming device.
    It's 249.99 USD

It's 300 USD in other territories, asides some places in Europe. Think it's around 350 USD in Australia. Either way it's still way to expensive for what it is and currently does. Plus like you said the hardware specs don't match up for the time, though it's on par or above gamecube levels which is the point.

They wouldn't want to make 3DS games better then Wii.. that wold be insane. Having your handheld be better then your home console... nope, don't want to do that.