Thread: urine odor / cloth vs plastic

Default urine odor / cloth vs plastic

I was just thinking, when I've wet overnight, by morning sometimes I can smell the stale urine and sometimes not. If the diaper is on good and snug it's usually less noticeable, I think because of less/no air circulation such as from gapping leg cuffs.

So I was wondering just how much worse of a problem this is with cloth backed diapers? I've seen several say that all of them are plastic inner shell with cloth outer, but is that the case, or do they use an air-passable waterproof material, and does that contribute to odor?

Butterfly Mage

I've found there's a trade-off with the breathable diapers. They are much more comfortable in hot weather and less likely to cause skin irritation. However, they don't contain odor as well.

Also I'm sure this has been said many times, but diet can totally change the way your urine smells in the short term. Unless I've been working a lot and thus drinking too much coffee and not enough water my pee doesn't smell. You're always going to have that ammonia smell in the long term, but for me that's more like after a day or more, not just a night.