Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Overheard in Target

Default Overheard in Target

So I was at Target today looking at the cool new geeky t-shirts when I overheard a kid of about 5/6 say "Ooo! Diapers!" His mother promptly said "No you can't get those. You are a big kid now and they are not for you."

It was cute but I kinda felt bad for him. Poor kid.

this is why i hate parents,I know like 5 girls who cannot express their dl love fully cause of their parents who disaprove
    I have an even higher inspiration now to allow my child enjoy diapers if that's their choice

if i have kids anyway..

Younger kids I kind of get it. Sometimes, not all the time granted, but sometimes it's parents protecting their kid from other people. When you're a kid you don't really understand the social ramifications of unusual behavior so it makes sense to protect kids from possibly getting hurt emotionally by society at large.

By the time you're in middle school (for us in the US) though I'd say you're well aware of the social ramifications of being different and are old enough to make choices like that for yourself. At that point I follow a simple rule. Are you hurting someone by doing whatever it is you want to do? No? Well have fun. Even self-harm within certain boundaries I have no issue with. Most people probably aren't as open minded as I am in that regard and probably when they keep their kid from doing something it's more pushing their own fears and social anxiety on the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by PamperedKari View Post

this is why i hate parents,I know like 5 girls who cannot express their dl love fully cause of their parents who disaprove
    I have an even higher inspiration now to allow my child enjoy diapers if that's their choice

if i have kids anyway..
    Trying not to get too far off topic, I think, as parents, we members of the *B/DL community would probably be more accepting all-around, because we've been there. we know what it's like to be weird. Anyhow... back to this thread....

It seems like an understandable thing for a mother to say to a little kid. It's far from normal, which is what most parents want, especially when they can't have their child achieve excellence at the tender age of 5-6. Odds are, it's not because the parent is mean and controlling; they just want a normal kid. Otherwise, I guess I do feel a little sorry for the kid as well.

markie97

That is going to be a diaper lover later

I would be really sad if I'd overheard that conversation and I hate the term "big kid" as if when you need nappies because you wet the bed or have a bladde problem you're a "little kid"

Quote Originally Posted by markie97 View Post
    That is going to be a diaper lover later

I would be really sad if I'd overheard that conversation and I hate the term "big kid" as if when you need nappies because you wet the bed or have a bladde problem you're a "little kid"
    I agree with that second part, but I don't think this behavior necessarily means the kid will become a DL later. There are many reasons a kid could want diapers.

Yeah I mean, my sister was a pain to get out of diapers. It was largely because she's just contrary and was particularly so when she was little. She was the sort to always throw temper tantrums. I, in contrast got out of them really young on my own and didn't have any more interest in them until I was older. Not to say that's how it is with everyone, just that I think the reasons people do things are so varied and complicated that future behavior is nearly impossible to predict with any sort of accuracy. Just look at the weather and how hard that is to predict on the short term. People are even more complex and varied.

GoodJams1

Yeah, I hate how many adults label 'Diapers are for little kids.' My next door neighbor's wife lost her legs due to diabetes years ago, and her caretaker had the nerve to say "I need to change her Pampers." First of all, it was an Attends, and the way she said it, was very cruel. She died a couple months later.

I think it's part of culture and western culture in particular being fixated on15-30 year olds. Anyone outside that range is largely ignored and anyone inside that range wearing diapers is in a vanishingly small minority.