Thread: Publishing my stories

Default Publishing my stories

Sup.

So, it's no secret that I love to write. I've been around the *B/DL community or "scene" since 20002. I started writing that same year, and haven't stopped since. In 2002, I wrote Jake, and the following year its sequel.

But in 2004, I wrote The Story of David Mayter, and then I began the Aden series, and Kidnapped. Those stories in particular, I've received considerable merit. They don't center around a fap scene or are based off of wild fantasies - they're reasonably realistic. At least that's what I go for. And I think thats why some people like them, and some don't. And that's okay.

Point is, in recent years (especially for Kidnapped, and Aden 3 and 4) - I've put a LOT of effort and time into making some solid material for people to read. And I think it's paid off. Kidnapped, for example - has two threads (one in stories in progress, the other in finished stories), both of which add up to over 110 replies and almost 20,000 views!

I haven't released anything in a little while. I finished the Aden series last summer, but I've been hard at work at a few other things (they'll see the light of day soon enough).

The point of this post is, the next thing I want to do is going to be self-published and released in physical form. This is a goal of mine that I plan to make happen. I've done research on self-publishing, and I find it very doable and I'm extremely excited for it.

In the meantime, before I finish up what I'm working on (which is a way's away) - I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a possible novelized version of any of my stories. Now, interest goes beyond "Hey yeah that'd be cool". It involves money.

Would anyone here be interested enough to either purchase, support, or donate to - me possibly trying to get a physical form of my stories made?

I was thinking the full Aden series in one book. But, Kidnapped or David Mayter is possible (though I think David Mayter is out-dated in terms of my writing abilities. I'd rewrite it, as well as the first two Aden stories). I've got a bunch of ideas, like possibly just putting them all together in one package.

We're not talking about a lot of money. It's whatever you can afford. It'd be for the fans!

I would continue this thread but there is golf-ball sized hail outside of my window and a tornado warning in effect. So I have to go.

Let me know!

Aden: http://www.adisc.org/forum/stories-p...-aden-end.html

Kidnapped: http://www.adisc.org/forum/stories-p...e-content.html

David Mayter: http://www.adisc.org/forum/finished-...e-content.html

This is a really cool Idea. I've been trying to get my stuff published for a while now (It's not AB/DL related), and both traditional and self-publishing are extremely difficult to do.

If you're going to go with Self-publishing, check out AuthorHouse or iUniverse. AuthorHouse has a lot of deals going on ALL THE TIME, and they're pretty cheap. The only problem is that they retain the rights to your format (how pages are alligned, font placement, etc), so you have to reformat if you get noticed by a traditional publisher. iUniverse lets you retain those rights, but it's crazy expensive.
    Also, if you go with self-publishing, getting the book published is the EASY part. All marketing and advertisement is YOUR responsibility. Sure, AuthorHouse has a consulting agency for that, but it's coming out of your pocket. Your works won't automatiacally appear on every shelf in B&N and Walmart. YOU have to make those calls and get them to pay the money to get them on their shelves. It's very, VERY hard, and sucess stories are few.

With traditional publishing, getting the book published is the hard part. You have to find an agent, convince him to risk his money and reputation on your idea with a 3-4 paragraph summary of your book, have him go to a publisher and convince THEM of it's worthiness, and have them shell out the cash for your book. After that long, arduous process, though, it's smooth sailing. The publisher markets for you (they actually WANT you to suceed. Self-publishing companies already got their profits from your up front payment) and you get to sit back and relax as a check comes in quarterly for your profits.

Either way, it's a lot of work. Depending on how long your stories are, you might want to expand them to 50,000 words to make a novel, or compile them together if they all have a similar theme, again, to 50,000 words.

I don't have any money myself to give, or I would, but I hope this info helps you make an educated decision.

Good Luck!

If you published a compilation I would very likely buy it - especially if it includes a rewrite of David Mayter.

Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by BabyAshley View Post
    This is a really cool Idea. I've been trying to get my stuff published for a while now (It's not AB/DL related), and both traditional and self-publishing are extremely difficult to do.

If you're going to go with Self-publishing, check out AuthorHouse or iUniverse. AuthorHouse has a lot of deals going on ALL THE TIME, and they're pretty cheap. The only problem is that they retain the rights to your format (how pages are alligned, font placement, etc), so you have to reformat if you get noticed by a traditional publisher. iUniverse lets you retain those rights, but it's crazy expensive.
    Also, if you go with self-publishing, getting the book published is the EASY part. All marketing and advertisement is YOUR responsibility. Sure, AuthorHouse has a consulting agency for that, but it's coming out of your pocket. Your works won't automatiacally appear on every shelf in B&N and Walmart. YOU have to make those calls and get them to pay the money to get them on their shelves. It's very, VERY hard, and sucess stories are few.

With traditional publishing, getting the book published is the hard part. You have to find an agent, convince him to risk his money and reputation on your idea with a 3-4 paragraph summary of your book, have him go to a publisher and convince THEM of it's worthiness, and have them shell out the cash for your book. After that long, arduous process, though, it's smooth sailing. The publisher markets for you (they actually WANT you to suceed. Self-publishing companies already got their profits from your up front payment) and you get to sit back and relax as a check comes in quarterly for your profits.

Either way, it's a lot of work. Depending on how long your stories are, you might want to expand them to 50,000 words to make a novel, or compile them together if they all have a similar theme, again, to 50,000 words.

I don't have any money myself to give, or I would, but I hope this info helps you make an educated decision.

Good Luck!
    Right, see - my plan is to handle all of the business stuff myself. I don't want it advertised by anyone but me. I'd be shipping everything myself. The plan is to have the stories put into physical form, then sent to my house in bulk, and from there on I just send it all out to anyone who cares to support. But, I'm not going to go through the aggravation and cost of the whole thing if there is no interest, you know?

My next big project will be novelized, that is a fact.

Thanks for posting this topic! I've kicked the idea around about writing something and possibly getting it to the point of publishing. The comments in this thread have given me food for thought about the work involved and chances of it actually coming to fruition.

~Pramrider

I put Werewolf on Nookbooks. It doesn't cost anything and everything you sell is money in your pocket. Of course, my story is in the horror genre, and they have headings to link your story. They don't have Adult Baby, so you would have to go into Adult or some such area. They also monitor and I suspect something like that would be rejected. That said, I've been surprised that I sell, on average, a story a day. Granted, this isn't exactly J. K., but it's a start, and it's fun knowing that someone will pay 99 cents for my short story.

You set your price on Nookbooks. If it's below 2 or 3 dollars, I forget which, you keep 40 percent. If it's above that, you keep 60 percent. I published on Nookbooks in part, because of friend of mine did, so she got me started. I plan to put it on Kindle as well where the readership is ten times Nook. The other reason I E published was because I wanted to establish myself as a professional writer, one who has published and made money. When I finish my novel, I will be looking for an agent and pursuing a genuine contract with a company. This is why I have written stories that would be more generally accepted by the public. I have little time to write, and when I do, I want a general readership.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I put Werewolf on Nookbooks. It doesn't cost anything and everything you sell is money in your pocket. Of course, my story is in the horror genre, and they have headings to link your story. They don't have Adult Baby, so you would have to go into Adult or some such area. They also monitor and I suspect something like that would be rejected. That said, I've been surprised that I sell, on average, a story a day. Granted, this isn't exactly J. K., but it's a start, and it's fun knowing that someone will pay 99 cents for my short story.

You set your price on Nookbooks. If it's below 2 or 3 dollars, I forget which, you keep 40 percent. If it's above that, you keep 60 percent. I published on Nookbooks in part, because of friend of mine did, so she got me started. I plan to put it on Kindle as well where the readership is ten times Nook. The other reason I E published was because I wanted to establish myself as a professional writer, one who has published and made money. When I finish my novel, I will be looking for an agent and pursuing a genuine contract with a company. This is why I have written stories that would be more generally accepted by the public. I have little time to write, and when I do, I want a general readership.
    That's pretty awesome man. I've never looked into Nook or Kindle - but thats a really neat idea. That's also really cool that people are willing to pay for it. I always suspect that if I did publish something and try to maintain it all myself, that people would have little to no interest. But, even if its 99 cents a buy, thats still cool.

Right now, the material I'm working on is non-AB related. I'm planning on having it published; I'm just not sure what kind of publication just yet.

As far as my AB-stuff being published... I would if there was any kind of interest. I'd revise it all and send it out myself. Fan service. Self-publishing seems best, but if there was a good unrestricted e-publication way of doing things, that'd be pretty cool too.

I'm actually looking into purchasing refurbished commercial printers and starting a self publishing and printing company from scratch which would also provide limited support to the author in marketing the book. I'd be doing this fully expecting that I may never turn a profit since the ABDL literature market is so small. Maybe market the company outside of the community, take on some side projects(newsletters,magazines brochures etc etc while sub contracting out for graphic design) to keep the business in the black.

Any how I love your stories and would be willing to pay a reasonable(not 29.95 but maybe 5.00 to 10.00 price) to support you.

I wish you the best of luck in pursuing your dreams...

Oh a little advice: start building an email database for potential buyers now and post your stories on every ABDL site you can to expose your self as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Jake View Post
    That's pretty awesome man. I've never looked into Nook or Kindle - but thats a really neat idea. That's also really cool that people are willing to pay for it. I always suspect that if I did publish something and try to maintain it all myself, that people would have little to no interest. But, even if its 99 cents a buy, thats still cool.

Right now, the material I'm working on is non-AB related. I'm planning on having it published; I'm just not sure what kind of publication just yet.

As far as my AB-stuff being published... I would if there was any kind of interest. I'd revise it all and send it out myself. Fan service. Self-publishing seems best, but if there was a good unrestricted e-publication way of doing things, that'd be pretty cool too.
    Good for you and I'm glad you're working on something non AB/DL. I charged 99 cents only because it was a short story, but if it was a novel, I would have charged more. The cheaper ones seem to go around $4. 99 and some up to $10.99. At either of those rates and in between, you get to pocket 60 percent, a very nice profit indeed. I know a friend of a friend who charged $1.99 for 18 pages of a "how to" pamphlet and she sold over 750,000 copies. She got to keep three quarter of a million dollars, and she's still selling. Even J. K. Rowland only made a dollar a book, and a dollar a book is a lot in the printed world. Sharon Draper only makes a dime on each book she sells. (I met her personally)

The challenge is to get the public to notice your book if you are unknown. If you are a known publisher, published by a company, in book form, your book gets advertised on their front pages, but if you're like me, it slugs it out with over a million titles. I was pretty clever to just call my book "Werewolf" because if you are looking for a story about werewolves, and type in a search word, werewolf, I come up on the first page. I've been running as #5, though the last time I looked I was #7. Still, that's pretty good when one considers all the books that have been written about werewolves. The funny thing is that there is a whole genre of Romantic werewolf stories, and mine is nestled in among them. I can't help but wonder what these women think when they buy my short story, thinking it will be a nice warm fuzzy love story...haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Jake View Post
    The Kindle publishing platform is pretty easy to work with. I have some short stories on their under a pen name that sells fairly decently. The only catch with them is (and I assume this is the case with most ebook publishers) is that if you start selling hard copies, the ebook version has to priced with a certain amount of what you charge for the physical copy, and Amazon (at least) will automatically change the price charged to fall within that limit, but it's still a good way to get your stuff out there.

Last time I checked about 90% of the books on my Kindle are $0.99 books I purchased randomly just for the heck of it while doing searches for other books